View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Take a look: 89 Outrage 22 - Test Drive Pics
mattgeiger
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/09 - 3:37 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

http://picasaweb.google.com/mgeiger72...ive?pli=1#

Had a blast test-driving the 89 Outrage 22 you all have heard me mention a few times here lately.

This my first time at the wheel of anything other than a 17' Whaler (Montauk and Menemsha). All I can say is this thing was a machine. She's in pretty rough shape when ranked on my standards, but the old Yamahas ran wonderfully. Having 300hp in the right hand and a 22' Whaler in the left in a good chop was just short of a religious experience. Docking with twins is really fun too.

The main floor has a 12x12 soft spot, and the floor around the livewell is definitely soft. Remote oil tank is not working. Just have to keep oil in the tanks on the motors right now. There's a big ding on the bow where the rubrail is loose. Electronics are trash.

Have a look at the pics and videos. Share your thoughts. Throw up some numbers if you feel like you have an idea of what she's worth.

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

Doug V
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/09 - 4:41 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

A 22 Whalerdirve model with Super Console. That's a pretty cool rig.

I have a 1989 cut transom 22 with a 200 Suzuki. I imagine the twin 150's push her pretty well. All our classics are getting pretty long in the tooth. Mine required some work to make serviceable, at least to my standards. More work will be required in the future, I am sure.

If the price is good, and you don't mind laboring on a classic, It should be an easy decision.

Have fun.

Doug Vazquez

MW
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/09 - 5:03 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I would be thinking "Can I afford to re-power if I need to".

Matt

kamie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/09 - 5:05 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Compression test on the outboards, and run them until they fall off. Where is the soft spot, in the tank cover? if it's in the tank cover, it's a pain by not tragic, if it is over the foam, that is a whole different story.

mattgeiger
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/09 - 5:24 PM
Personal Page

kamie wrote:
Compression test on the outboards, and run them until they fall off. Where is the soft spot, in the tank cover? if it's in the tank cover, it's a pain by not tragic, if it is over the foam, that is a whole different story.

On the cover... rear port corner. Seemingly the norm on these things. Not terrible, but it does flex under my 250#s.

Repower. I know I need to keep that in mind. I guess I can't go to a single with WD. What would a pair of Etec 150s run? (yikes).

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

ioptfm
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/09 - 5:32 PM
Personal Page

The motors run, the boat floats and it has Whaler written on it! That appears to be a very doable project. If the compression test pans out I'd begin the negoitiations. wish I could help with a price, but can't

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

kamie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/09 - 6:31 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

The cover is not a huge deal, it is a pain to take the seats and console out and derig the boat, but you can probably wait until the engines die. New e-Tec 150's are around 14k each, installed with new gauges.
You can follow the same plan I used for my 18, buy the boat, refinish the wood and it will look great. Cleanup the wiring and if you need to get some used gauges to replace any that are fogged. Then run the boat until the engines die. Once they die, sell them for parts, strip the boat, redo the tank cover and gas tank. Install two brand new outboards, reassemble and enjoy the boat for another 20 years or longer.

HarleyFXDL
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/09 - 5:47 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

Well Matt, from the pics, it's appears to be rough but not too far gone. It is a good 20 footer, I don't know how capable you are, but if you are very handy and not afraid of a "challenge" then scoop it up. It runs, it floats, everything else is cosmetic.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

TexasOutrage
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/09 - 8:04 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Here are my thoughts:

I have seen 22's in better shape but people were asking alot for them. I would negotiate based on the hull only. Those motors look shot to me. They look like typical saltwater engines after 20years. The cowlings have been repainted and the new 150 stickers are from the four stroke series. The corrosion around the tilt and trim looks like a problem waiting to happen. You are looking at $30K to repower with twin 150s. I think you need to budget for a repower on this one.

The thru-hulls have been reworked. One picture showed some hull bottom repairs back near the transom. All in all, the boat has led a rough life in my opinion. Most is cosmetic and looking at your Montauk, I know you can rework it....but to get it to your standards will take alot of work.

I don't know how long it has been on the market, but I would not pay over $10,000. A near perfect 1986 22' Outrage sold for $16750 on eBay recently. It did not have the whaler drive. It had a pair of older Johnson 120's that looked mint.

Your description of 300 hp in the right hand and a classic 22' in your left was a good one. I understand that feeling quite well. Do not let the lure of running an older Outrage with twin engines lead you to making a hasty decision or pay too much.

I loved the video of the boat being towed away with your kids asking, "Are we going to buy it?"

duf
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/09 - 8:46 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

a lot of potential there. Is definately rough around the edges, but workable and i didn't see any real deal breakers if the price is right and you have a winter coming up in no time to do a full overhaul. The built in electronics box is very nice, have one on my newer 88. Real handy to keep the electronics out of the rain and dew. Would look pretty sweet with a pair of E-TEC's slung on the back, and i bet VERY fast. I think if you get it for 10k as TW suggested, your getting a very good deal.

Duf

mattgeiger
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/09 - 3:22 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, I'm coming down from my 300hp buzz. She may be more than I want to take on, however the deal is certainly south of 10k, otherwise I'd keep walking for sure. Still, 30k for motors, plus a lot of fixes and I'd be in well over 40k. There's a new 2008 Everglades 23 here at the dealer marked down to $47k. So maybe looking for a clean 22 in the mid teens may be the ticket.

Meanwhile my Montauk ran like a dream today - spending 7 hours beach-hopping and tubing. She started at the first bump of the key every time as if she was on her best behavior. It just seemed really tight with the wife and 4 kids.

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

partyguy110
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/22/09 - 3:41 PM

Comments: 0

I guess you could get rid of the wife. That would make more room.

Anyway you look at it, you are going to spend money. You are going to end up sinking $ into the Everglade just to make it the way you want it too. I think you are better off with your last idea of finding a cleaner boat and spending more. Unless you are up for a real project. Good luck man.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 2:56 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,485,116 unique visits