View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
88 Sport steering cable replacement
rxwhaler
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/09 - 9:10 PM

Comments: 0

The steering gear box on my 15' Sport has frozen up and I intend to replace it and the cable. The problem is when I try to remove the cable at the engine mount ('88 70 HP Yamaha), it won't come out all of the way. It comes out about 90% but then the transom ( where the cutout curves up) blocks me from pulling it all of the way out. Am I missing a step or positioning of the motor? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/09 - 11:04 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

It sounds like you will need to loosen the engine mounting bolts so the engine will twist on the transom slightly.

MW
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/09 - 2:32 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I Know what you mean (starboard side), you have to do what Joe suggested OR remove the "Tilt Tube" 1/2 way out to the "Port" side, then the steering cable can tilt upwards, and will clear the engine cut out in the transome. To install: With old cable removed (tilt tube backed out 1/2 way to port) install the steering cable from the starboard side meeting the tilt tube in the middle of the engine, push the "Cable" and "Tilt tube" into each other (meeting in the middle of the motor), they'll slide into and over ea. other and the new cable will "Just" clear the transome notch. Grease the tilt tube before installing the new cable, and install a "Steersman Nut" (protect's the cable from water intrusion $20 marine store) to prolong cable life ( ya don't want to do this job again anytime soon).

Matt

rxwhaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/09 - 5:44 PM

Comments: 0

Thanks to both Joe and MW for the helpful hints. I tried to loosen the motor mount bolts but the previous owner had the engine off at some time and when he put it back he was quite generous with some type of sealant. The motor would not budge. I then went the "move the pivot tube to port" route. After a struggle in which it went down to the wire on whether the boat or I would win, I was finally able to drift it far enough to clear the transom. I live in Fla. and about noon I had some choice words for the person who designed the cutout in the transom with such close tolerances to motor mounts. Put me in mind of when I would put an aftermarket muffler on my Volkswagon bug. Put the new steering system in and also decided to replace the previous owner's unflattering rigging hose - not the straightforward job I expected. That little beast was conquered as well and the boat looks decidedly better. The previous rigging tube was an odd shade of blue, split to put it on w/o disconnecting any cables and held together w/ plastic ties. I really appreciate the help and the opportunity to browse this forum for info and ideas. One last thing about the steering though, it is not as freewheeling as the system I replaced , will this loosen up some as I use it? I tried to avoid placing it in any binds and left good size loops when routing it. Thanks again.

MW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/09 - 11:33 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

N/P, I too invented "New word's", while doing that job and trying to figure it out, I blew out the plastic bushing's because, the marine store kept giving me the wrong sized cable 3 times. I used to have the "Stand-off" bracket, and it used to be "VERY" easy to replace the steering cable, when I re-powered, they gave me the "Through tilt tube" steering system. The Engineer who came up with this design should be dragged out into the parking lot and SHOT !

Matt

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 2:22 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,484,713 unique visits