View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Removing Bolts from Throttle
Chris and Mark
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/09 - 1:06 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Hello,

I'm in the process of re-doing all the brightwork on my 1986 13 Supersport. All the wood is out of the boat.

The bolts that held the Quicksilver throttle to the starboard gunwhale had been quite damaged by a previous owner's enthusiastic tightening, and are quite chewed up. Nevertheless, I was able to remove the throttle from the wood. Now, however, I have encountered a problem.

The bolts are stuck inside the throttle. They slide freely on the non threaded length, but once the threads enter the picture, they get stuck. I didn't want to damage the threading, so I haven't tried pounding them through, but I'd be surprised if that worked.

What are my options? How would the experts out there go about removing these bolts? I'm sure there is a relatively easy method - I just can't figure it out.

Here are some pictures of the situation:

[img]http://www.bcws.ca/appadmin/throttle-for-web.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.bcws.ca/appadmin/throttle-top-for-web.jpg[/img]

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Turpin
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/09 - 1:22 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

I would get a piece of wood, lay the controls on the wood so that the threaded end had constant pressure and try screwing them out.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

Chris and Mark
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/09 - 6:40 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Hi Turpin,

Unfortunately, the threading was too severely damaged for that method. They were only partially threaded, so I ended up just hacking them off at the end of the threading and sliding the non threaded piece through.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mark

RevengeFamily
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/09 - 7:06 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Mark,

I think what you'er going to find is white aluminum oxide has swelled the holes to the point that the threads can't slide through. My first suggestion is to position the bolts so that the shoulder of the bolt (the part without the threads) allow the bolt to move freely. Then spray WD-40 along side the bolt and down into the hole. Let it soak for an hour or so or even overnight. Those screws look like they are a number 3 phillips. Many times folks will try a number 2 phillips (which is to small) and end up doing more damage to the screw. With a number 3 phillips try backing the screws in and out. Adding more WD-40 and again working it in and out.
I find small impact guns work the best on stuck bolts. I believe the numerous small impacts from these guns really helps remove stuck bolts. But even with impact guns, the in and out motion as apposed to all out seems to work the best.

Good luck, Norm

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 2:57 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,485,120 unique visits