View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Drilling holes in the hull to determine if water is inside..
Alujam
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/08/09 - 5:06 PM

Comments: 0

Hello. If someone would give me some advice on how or IF I should go about checking for water by drilling holes in my Outrage. It is a banana hull, 22 ft early 70s style Whaler.
It has become heavier and noticibly needing more power to haul loads. I figure before I tear or ATTEMPT to tear the floor and foam out I should drill a few holes first. So please give me some advice and maybe exactly where to drill and how big and deep. Thanks. Darin/Alaska

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/08/09 - 6:18 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Darin -

Welcome to WC.

Where do you think the water is coming in? Are there any repairs on the hull, deck, gunnel, transom?

I take it, based on your location, there is not a weight scale close by to weigh the boat and trailer.

I'll let the pro's comment further.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

RevengeFamily
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/08/09 - 6:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

From New York to Alaska, Welcome aboard!!!

Far from being a pro, I'll add my 2 cents...

My 1990 Revenge has water inside the hull and I've convinced myself that I'll never get it 100% dry.

I have two 1/4" holes drilled in the hull. Both are within 3 inches of the keel. One is located forward 12', the other is 2' forward of the transom. I have tried a handful of methods to remove the water. I've tried 20-30psi of compressed air for short periods of time. This method never produced alot of water. The holes have been there since last September. On sunny days as the hull warms in the sun, the water will start to drip. I'll get a slow drip for a few hours. The puddles never gets any larger than 5-6 inches. It is salt water, however, the boat has not seen salt water since last August. I have been busy using my Conquest this spring, so I've been able to leave the drain holes open while I continue to slowly restore her. The thru hull tubes were rotten when I purchased the boat. I believe that's where the majority of water came from. I am covinced that the foam that Whaler used will most definatley trap water. And as some of these hulls go through freeze thaw cycles some of the closed cells in the foam are broken open allowing them to trap larger volumes of water. Not to worry, I still believe there is no better or safer vessel on the water.

Best of luck,

Norm

Alujam
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/08/09 - 9:19 PM

Phil T and Norm thanks. I believe the culprit was the drain tube also. I also agree the thaw and freeze cycles affect the water/foam trapping, especially living here in the Arctic, freeze means FREEZE. I think I will drill holes here and there in the hull, maybe 3/8", 2 to 3 feet apart I figure. I believe there are cells and I need to guess where and try to miss them so I drill where the water may be. I believe I am correct to say that there is NOT a fuel tank on my model, so thats reassuring. I think during the LONG winter I will tear the floor and foam out to really take a look and see for sure. Now I need to get ready for salmon season, drilling holes sounds an easier job. Anyboby else has any ideas or procedures I appreciate. Thanks for the welcome too. Darin

zekegood
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/09 - 6:53 PM

I have a 15 footer that I purchased a few months ago. The thru hull tube for the bottom drain is broken or has rotten out. How did you guys fix yours? I have some ideas but thought you might have already done this.

Turpin
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/09 - 5:11 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

try this thread
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...post_39194

or this
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...post_37708

there is also a section in the articles (top left column) covering drain tube install.
Whaler also offers a pvc drain tube.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

zekegood
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/09 - 5:31 AM

Thanks I think I will try the PVC route.

1531665anthony
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/09 - 10:02 AM

Comments: 3

The best way to find wet foam is to remove all the tubes. It will also dry it. Don't drill holes. Take the tubes out They run through the hull. Don't use brass it is a giant pain in the butt. Use the CPVC.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 3:40 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,485,598 unique visits