View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
wagner hlvp sprayer for gel coat?
digitalvet
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 7:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

only needing to spray one boat (at least that is what my wife is hoping for) so this 'cheap' sprayer from wagner caught my eye...it is listed as a 'fine' HLVP sprayer. anyone know if it will do gel coat?

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/wagner_finespray_spray,43209,747.html

or better question what is the best = economical, functional for limited (1 or 2 project) use sprayer recommended for gel coating a whaler.

thanks, john

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 7:50 AM

Comments: 34

Nothing is worse than spending a whole bunch of time prepping a job and then shooting with with a gun that ruins everything. Save yourself time, money and headaches and buy a good compressor and a good gravity feed HVLP gun.

digitalvet
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 9:35 AM
Personal Page

any specific recommendations? how much horse power on the compressor and what spray gun?

thanks

Parcel88
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 11:24 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I reacently bought the Husky HLVP gravity feed spray gun to do a few jobs. I was about a hundered bucks and was a great gun for the money. The kits comes with 2 nozzles for spraying different paints. I used it to spray gelcoat on my friends ski boat, and to spray some interlux perfection... both came out great!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/s...=100037831

Jeff
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 11:58 AM

Here is what I have. All are made by Campbell Hausfeld but are branded Husky at Home Depot.

I use this compessor for nearly all of my work.

This gun for small jobs and areas.

This gun as well as this gun for larger areas.

I got all of these items as well as a bunch pneumatic tools as part of a huge kit around fathers day for a killer price. Home Depot has these kits for sale usually only around that time. Northern tool has all kinds of great prices on equipment and is usually where I got most of that stuff.

Edited by Jeff on 03/30/09 - 12:04 PM

kamie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 1:28 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Jeff,
which of the guns have you used for gelcoat? I was under the impression that for gelcoat one should look for a nozzle size of 2mm to 2.5mm? I can't find the nozzle size on any of the guns you linked too?

Jeff
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 1:57 PM

Kamie,

I have used all the guns above for all kinds of gelcoat work. Though I have never shot an entire boat. I typically thin the gelcoat 1:1 with acetone and shoot it. After that I wet sand and polish it. The smaller siphon detail gun works great for small repairs.

bigfish114
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 2:40 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Jeff

What about condensation from the compressor? Do you use any type of dryer, or filter?

Thanks

regentsbay
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 2:47 PM
Personal Page

So Jeff, You don't recommened a HVLP system, you just use a regular compressor with a gravity gun. Your jobs always turn out fine. Thats interesting.

Jeff
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 7:10 PM

Like I said, I have yet to spray a full boat. If I was I may consider an in-line dryer or filter. Though I have yet to have any problems when shooting gelcoat or varnish. Michigan only has high humidity in late June - August. Also, if I was spraying a whole boat I would thin with Duratec instead of Acetone. But yes, after a wet sanding and polishing you can have a difficult time finding the repaired area.

RLwhaler
#11 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 9:05 PM

Comments: 4

Jeff is right on the money.You will eventually find out that prepping the boat will take most of your time than the actual shoot.Not to mention burning it,then "spot shooting" it.

RL
Jeff wrote:
Nothing is worse than spending a whole bunch of time prepping a job and then shooting with with a gun that ruins everything. Save yourself time, money and headaches and buy a good compressor and a good gravity feed HVLP gun.

RLwhaler
#12 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 9:17 PM

Regentsbay,Most of my guys at the shop uses the very same guns that Jeff have just mention.But,our compressor is a little bit bigger though.I've gotta have my Ingersol Smile
And yes,ours ALways turn out just fine.Check for yourself on my personal page.Remember,to have plenty of acetone ready to go thru it your guns as soon as oyur finish.Take it apart for exstreme cleaning.Soak your noozle and gun overnight if you have to.Sorry,i got kinda carried away there..
I've got a bad case of pet peeve if i see nasty tools.

RL

regentsbay wrote:
So Jeff, You don't recommened a HVLP system, you just use a regular compressor with a gravity gun. Your jobs always turn out fine. Thats interesting.

RLwhaler
#13 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 9:27 PM

Jeff,the gravity gun that you mention at Northern Tools can pretty much shoot anything.I've even shot Algrip grip teck(non-skid)additive with it.But, you have been warned..take it easy on the hardener when mixing grip teck with gelcoat.

Best Regards,
Richard

Jeff wrote:
Like I said, I have yet to spray a full boat. If I was I may consider an in-line dryer or filter. Though I have yet to have any problems when shooting gelcoat or varnish. Michigan only has high humidity in late June - August. Also, if I was spraying a whole boat I would thin with Duratec instead of Acetone. But yes, after a wet sanding and polishing you can have a difficult time finding the repaired area.

RLwhaler
#14 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 9:34 PM

Bigfish,gotta have yourself filter bud.It's a pain in the arse to have to come back and spot shoot where water was in the gelcoat.

Good Luck with your project,
Richard
bigfish114 wrote:
Jeff

What about condensation from the compressor? Do you use any type of dryer, or filter?

Thanks

Binkie
#15 Print Post
Posted on 03/31/09 - 4:54 AM
Personal Page

I!ve sprayed over a dozen boat with Awlgrip over the past 30 years, but never tried gelcoat, as I never wanted to do all the after work needed after spraying. I always use siphon guns, bought a gravity gun onece but found it cumbersome. One thing I found out about gravity feed guns, is they are only good for spraying horizontal or downward, they won!t work if spraying in an upward angle, like spraying the bottom of a blocked up boat. I don`t spend a lot of money. Last gun I bought was about $50 at Advance Auto supplies. An expensive gun can`t make up for lack of experience, and in fact may be harder to use.
Just my 2 bits.

Rich

ritzyrags
#16 Print Post
Posted on 03/31/09 - 5:58 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

I have come to enjoy these tools in order to spray gel in my last two projects.
The pick was used to remove small inbedded matter like specks in the wet gel.[img][/img]

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Guts
#17 Print Post
Posted on 03/31/09 - 9:10 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

Back in the day When I was doing body work and some painting. I did not have a spray booth. So what I did was to take a garden hose with a spray head and wet the inside if the garage. Rafters, walls and floor, Do the rafters first so that it stops raining on you. Then put the [in my case here it was sand buggies] project in the garage and start painting. The purpose of the water is to hold the dust particles where they are. this worked very well for me. kind of a poor mans make shift paint booth. The water on the floor helps from kicking up dust also.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 1:16 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Nevillberger
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,091
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,466,350 unique visits