View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Simple can be just as good
ioptfm
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/29/09 - 3:33 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I have my little 15 footer and my son has a 36 foot center console for offshore fishing. We were cleaning our boats up for the season and both had mildew on the cushions. Now of course my son is soooooooooo much smarter than I am so he went to West Marine and bought a bottle of mildew remover for about ten bucks. What did dumb old dad do? I poured a cup of Clorox in a 1/2 gal of water. He scrubbed and scrubbed and still had residue. I put my mix on with a sponge and it all came off in one easy step. Then my smarter than I am son used my mix to complete his job. The clorox and water took the mildew off and made the cushions look new. If you use this, make sure you rinse really well. It's so nice when Dad can teach son something every once in a while! Pfft

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Binkie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/29/09 - 4:24 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Reminds me of when I was a teenager, and a friend and I decided to clean the rolled and pleated vinyl upholstery on his dads 3 year old Ford Fairlane convertible. We decided to use Comet cleanser, (contains a lot of bleach). Well, the job was real easy, and the seats looked like new, His dad was really impressed, and let us drive the car for a while, until about a month later, all the thread rotted from the bleach, and the upholstery fell apart.Shock LOL now, but not so funny at the time.

Hope they make better thread nowadays.

Rich

bruser
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/29/09 - 4:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

ioptfm wrote:
I have my little 15 footer and my son has a 36 foot center console for offshore fishing. We were cleaning our boats up for the season and both had mildew on the cushions. Now of course my son is soooooooooo much smarter than I am so he went to West Marine and bought a bottle of mildew remover for about ten bucks. What did dumb old dad do? I poured a cup of Clorox in a 1/2 gal of water. He scrubbed and scrubbed and still had residue. I put my mix on with a sponge and it all came off in one easy step. Then my smarter than I am son used my mix to complete his job. The clorox and water took the mildew off and made the cushions look new. If you use this, make sure you rinse really well. It's so nice when Dad can teach son something every once in a while! Pfft

After using this technique, rinse the vinyl with lots of clear water and towel dry. The next step is the most important... Treat the vinyl with 303 aerospace protectant. DO NOT USE ArmorAll.
The protectant is the thing that will save the vinyl from UV burning that will occur due to the bleach removing the clear topcoat on the vinyl.
Trust me, this is what I do for a living.... use the protectant and have a long vinyl lifeGrin

MW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 2:46 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Threaten him with "Military" school, work's every time. Smile

Matt

ioptfm
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 6:30 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

MW wrote:
Threaten him with "Military" school, work's every time. Smile

Pretty had to do toa 34 year old! Pfft

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 7:48 AM
Users Online
Welcome
clwhaler13
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,093
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,471,034 unique visits