View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Rhino Liner
Montauk68
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/29/09 - 3:27 PM

Comments: 0

hello everyone im a bit of a newb to this site but i have been doing a lot of looking around and i just picked up a 17 that i was thinking about doing the inside with rhino liner in gray, iv been hearing that people have done this before with their whalers, im wondering if anyone has done this, how they liked it and if they had any pictures thanks.

ioptfm
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/29/09 - 3:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I would think twice before I did this. It would be very uncomfortable on your bare feet. Why would you want to change what is already there?

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Montauk68
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/29/09 - 3:38 PM

reason being the floor has been ripped und all there is now is fiberglass matting so i wold need to sand it down and cover it with either a non skid gel or i heard about this rhino liner idea i cant imagine the rhino liner hurtning your feet any more then any other non skid out there so thats why i ask

nvaccaro
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/09 - 2:01 PM
Personal Page

Before purchasing my Montauk, I had a striper model, which is the same thing as the Montauk but it is a side console boat.

The previous owner had carpeted the inside of the boat for some crazy reason. I ripped the carpet out and had a time getting the glue out. I ended up sanding the remaining glue that I couldn't remove. I then coated the floor with that Tuff coating from Cabela's. It worked out. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather the original flooring of my Montauk.

But if you need to do this, you might want to look at this stuff from Cabela's. It has grit, but it feels rubberized and soft to the feet. I put several coats down, but I have to say that it did fade after one year. At that point I just applied another coat.

Hope this helps.

oliver1234
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/03/09 - 2:49 PM
Personal Page

unless you are only planning on only using it on the deck do not use that stuff, i have it on the entire interior of the boat and hate it, i have spent the last four months trying to get it off the sides and gunnels of my boat and just got the last of it off today (interesting coincidence) do not put it alywhere but the places where the original nonslip would have been.

John Fyke
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/09 - 3:44 PM
Personal Page

Not bad for the floor with some non skid added to it but for the rest of the interior I wouldn't use it. Hard to keep clean.

whalerman
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/08/09 - 4:59 PM

Comments: 5

If you can get it in a light blue or as close to the desert tan and just do the nonskid area, might work. However,as Protek said scrub , scrub, to keep it clean. Good luck with your project

THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

rdperez1
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 11:25 AM
Personal Page

I have tuff coat on all the interior surface (floor, sides, etc.) Super easy to clean with a pressure washer, set on low.

But what I did different after putting on two coats of Tuff Coat, was sand it down just a bit and then a final coat of top side paint. Smoothes out the overly rough finish of bare tuff coat.

Edit: I just checked the can, the stuff I used is actually Ultra Tuff that I bought from Bass Pro Shops.

Edited by rdperez1 on 07/22/09 - 6:17 PM

demo
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 1:55 PM
Personal Page

I was thinking of doing the same thing but then I was reading some restoration stories and heard about ultra tuff, which is basically a marine grade Rhino Liner. www.ultratuff.net. I have not used it yet but you may want to look into it.

Bake
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 1:59 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

I knew a guy who did his old 13 footer. DON'T DO IT. It never looked great and the color faded fast.

Zamboni65
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 5:27 PM
Personal Page

Bake wrote:
I knew a guy who did his old 13 footer. DON'T DO IT. It never looked great and the color faded fast.

Don't do it --- WHAT IS IT?
Rhino Liner?
Ultratuff?
Tuff Coat?

Which ones to stay away from? Which are OK?

Eri
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 7:28 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

No RHINO LINER unless your gonna wear work boots on your boat. They make serveral other coatings that are much better which have been mentioned earlier.

Bake
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 8:40 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

I really don't know which brand he had sprayed. I know he made a nice little 13 look like a work boat when it was done. I think if you are set on putting a coating that thick in a boat the first question would need to be about u v inhibitors. I think this post started talking about a cracked floor. I would fill the cracks and mix non skid in a good top coat and paint with a roller before I sprayed a bed liner in it. Then again I do understand that different people like different things. People have been very nice not asking me what the hell I am thinking when they view my project boat. I actually have read a lot on the durabak coating and had considered it for my project boat I just do not think that a thick rubber coating is for me. I would say from what I read on that coating it would be a good chice for a boat.

rdperez1
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/09 - 6:25 PM
Personal Page

Bake wrote:

I know what you mean. When I rolled on the first coat on, it looked like crap. I was depressed about the way it turned out and seriously considered scrapping it off and starting over. But after 1-2 weeks of talking to friends and co-workers, I figured what the hell it's not like I'm doing a showroom restoration.

Since I had bought too much (I originally purchased two gallons, not knowing how much I really needed), I figured what the hell maybe the second coat will fill in some of the valleys.

Turns out, it was exactly what it needed. The second coat filled in all the bare spots and it gave it a smoother, more even finish.

To avoid the fading and match the sides, I lightly sanded the finished surface (cause it's a supremely rough texture) and coated it with regular top side paint.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 5:21 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,486,678 unique visits