View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Outrage 18 Fuel Tank Replacement
elmroc
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 12:13 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hi Folks...been a while...

I need to replace the fuel tank in my OUtrage 18. How involved is this project? Looks like the console needs to be removed, deck panel removed etc. Is the fuel tank foamed in place? do the straps that hold the tank in place go bad, and will they need to be replaced? If anyone can give me insight to this it would be helpful. And if someone else paid to have this done, what was the damage?
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John V

gigem
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 12:53 PM

I bought a replacement for the 40 gallon tank in my Outrage 21 from Florida Marine Tank. Cost for the tank was $420 plus shipping. I hired the work out as part of a larger restoration, but I believe their was a few hours of labor involved. Maybe got charged for 3-4 hours? I don't really recall.

I know the guy who did the work said it was a PITA to get the old one out.

P.S. On an Outrage 21, the tank cover is fully aft of the console. So my console did not come out. Yours sounds like even more work Sad

Edited by gigem on 03/25/09 - 12:54 PM

timh
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 4:43 PM
Personal Page

i replaced the fuel tank on my 18' outrage last year. i paid my mechanic to disconnect the steering cables and all yamaha controls. i disconnected the rest.(stereo,vhf antenna,bow lights,etc). i remove the console, the deck and the fuel tank my self. the tank wasn't to bad to remove i pulled it out with a come along. once the deck was removed i found that it was a bit water logged and had a couple soft spots. thats when i decided to take it to some one to do the rest. i had the tank custom made, all ply wood from the underside of the deck was removed and replaced. i had all new fill and vent hoses replaced. since i had everything ripped apart i decided it would be a good time to put in a sea star hydraulic steering system. i also had an electrnic fuel sender put in the new tank to adapt to my yamaha guage. with tank,steering,deck repair,hoses,fuel sender, and labor i paid about $3500. i would say to replace just the tank and hoses with labor would be $1400-1800. figure $650-800 for the tank and a full days labor. i paid $790 including having the tank sprayed w/ 2 coats of epoxy $140.00 extra(not absolutely necessary but the tank should last a lot longer. i was only looking to do this once. it was a big expense for me at the time but i certainly am glad i did it and did it right now i have a good peice of mind that the boat sould be fine for the next 20+ years. good luck!

95Outrage17
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 4:55 PM

Hi John,

I'm in the middle of replacing the fuel tank in an '87 Outrage 18 as part of a larger project. You are right; The console, seat(s) and deck plate must be removed. The tank is foamed into the cavity and is difficult to remove. The tank hold down straps were corroded, but can be used again with a little cleaning. Most of the bolts that hold the straps to the boat broke upon removal. I will likely drill new holes and install new lag bolts upon reinstallation as what's left of the old ones would be very difficult to remove. Try giving the bolt heads a good tap with a hammer before attempting to loosen. Cut the foam around the tank the best you can, likely with a small saw and remove as much as possible. Make sure the tank is empty, by removing the inspection port at the rear of the tank and removing what is left in the tank. To remove the tank you basically have to hoist it from above while pushing down on the boat at the same time. The foam often has such as grip that you can lift the boat up via the tank (!!) Therefore you must lift against the boat deck at one end of the tank. I removed as much of the foam (in the cavity) as I could once the tank was out. I took the tank to a professional welding shop who built a new one with one difference; It's 2" shorter at the stern. I am planning to install the tank with neoprene strips underneath for cushioning. I will use 2-part expansion foam at each corner and the original straps to secure it in the cavity. The plan is to have a tube at the back which will lead to a pump in the console which will discharge overboard. That way if a little water gets in the tank cavity, it can easily be pumped out. The new tank I had built is very nice and over twice as thick as the original (as per the welding company). It's at a powder coating shop right now. That should give the tank some extra protection. Anyway, that's the short story for ya. Hope it helps! Do a search for others who have done this job as well. I also replaced the fuel tank in a '91 Outrage 17 last winter. Similar, but somewhat easier. You will likely find that the deck plate needs some repairs/attention. Hopefully it's coring is not rotten, but it's a possibility. Seal all screw holes and fittings well upon reinstallation. Few fittings on the '87 were NOT sealed from the factory. No wonder many Whalers get water in the foam!

- Chris

Edited by 95Outrage17 on 03/25/09 - 5:05 PM

elmroc
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 11:30 AM
Personal Page

Thanks guys for the insight and information.
Unfortunately, i don't have the personal time to do such a repair, and still be able to get the boat in the water and actually use it, so i will be leaving it to the pros at the boat yard to do the replacement. They bascially told me they allocate roughly 8-10 hours to do this replacement.

The marina i keep store her at is a a BW dealer, so they know the proper way to repair this.

Thanks again.

JV

WhalerDan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/09 - 1:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Raybo Marine in Lindenhurst replaced my tank -- epoxy coat, electric fuel sender $1,800

elmroc
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/09 - 10:54 AM
Personal Page

I just wanted to provide a final update in the process of the replacement of my fuel tank.

First, a brief history:

I began having water in fuel problems last season, and as the season progressed, the engine woul die out, while in operation(Johnson 120hp VRO), until it woul dbe very difficult to start, and finally, not start at all.

First, I replaced all fuel lines: result, it didn't work. Still had the watered down fuel problems.
Next, i gave the tank a pressure test, seemed to be ok, with very little pressure loss.
Next, instected top side of tank only, extremely clean.

Then, based on my readings here at whaler central, it was established my problem was the bottom or side(s) of the fuel tank.
I proceeded to remove the console, and the floor. Once removed, i inspected the floor underside, and good news, no rot whatsoever, so this was a plus for me.

Next, i further inspected the top side of the fuel tank completely. Not one little pin hole.

Next step, was to cut the foam around the fuel tank which i did. The Tank was lifted out quite easliy, with a fork lift. She slipped right out, with not even one person holding the boat down, which was a suprise to me, since reading some of the horror stories here about breaking them free and getting them out.
The tank cam out intact, with no rotten sectionstuck in the bottom, and the bottom of the tank was compeletly clean of rot.
Upon further inspection, i doscovered a "nickel" sized rotten spot, in the tank, in the aft end of the tank approx. 2" up from the bottom. HERE WAS THE SOURCE OF MY WATER/FUEL PROBLEM.

A new replacement tank was ordered and received from Florida Marine tanks, which was the original manufacture.

A new electronic fuel gage was added on the console, as the new tanks do not support the use of the sight glass any longer, the new tank dropped in, and was an exact replacement.Once again, replaced all fuel lines, with Ethanol resistant lines, (Fill,Vent, and Fuel line to motor/water sep)

2 part foam to fill up the gaps in the tank was used around the tank, floor went in, and console remounted.
The boat now sits happily in her slip, after a 10 mile run on Long Island sound for a shakedown. No Burps,Hiccups, and most importantly, water in my fuel.

Final cost to do the Job....$2165.00, which includes labor, the new fuel tank and it's shipping, parts, including new fuel hose/lines, 2 part foam and fuel gage.

Thank you all for your input over the course of time leading up the tank replacment.

Good bunch of uguys around here!

HarleyFXDL
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/09 - 12:08 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

John, I will be replacing the tank in my Outrage as well. I seem to have a lot of water in my tank. I'm debating whether I want to do the repair or farm it out. The place that did yours, very professional?

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

elmroc
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/09 - 12:21 PM
Personal Page

Harley....i had a former boston whaler do mine.

They were the countries oldest BW dealer in the country, up until earlier this year, when they gave up their dealership. They also own a marina.
They were very professional, but it took them a while to get the job done though.
Being a BW dealer, needless to say, they've done a few of these.

I had asked for them to do the work over the winter, figuring it woul dbe a good winter job for them, but they layed off their crew for the winter becuase of lack of work, yada yada.....but they got it done in about 3-4 weeks total time. I guess not too bad in hind sight.

HarleyFXDL
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/09 - 1:38 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Are they still in business?

Kevin

elmroc
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/09 - 1:49 PM
Personal Page

Yes Harley.

THey only have a marine store know, along with a repair shop with certified mechanics, and a marina.

If you want, throw me an email and i will send you contact information.

The marina, is a small one, of about 80 slips. 90% of which are BW's

elmroc
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/09 - 2:01 PM
Personal Page

Harley, I sent you a Private Message with the info

HarleyFXDL
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/09 - 2:43 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Thanks John, got it.

Kevin

rfsanchez
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 4:02 PM

Comments: 1

elmroc wrote:
Hi Folks...been a while...

I need to replace the fuel tank in my OUtrage 18. How involved is this project? Looks like the console needs to be removed, deck panel removed etc. Is the fuel tank foamed in place? do the straps that hold the tank in place go bad, and will they need to be replaced? If anyone can give me insight to this it would be helpful. And if someone else paid to have this done, what was the damage?
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John V

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 12:31 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,483,454 unique visits