View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Decal/name removal
stratocaster
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 6:37 AM

Comments: 0

Hi All,

I had a heck of a time removing vinyl lettering. This is no small task. The lettering on the boat was in place for 5 years.
I thought I'd share what worked well for me. I tried a couple of things.

The temperature was about 48 F around noon.

First I applied Goo Gone on the starboard side (some sun) and let it sit for about 15 to 30 minutes. This worked just ok using my fingernail to get the peel started. A lot of residue was left behind. I used a second application of Goo Gone and rubbed with a cloth. It took a while but it came nice and clean.
The transom was in direct sunlight and the letters came off nicely with just a bit of Goo Gone and my fingernail. Some was residue left behind and easily removed with an second application of Goo Gone.

After my fingernails hurt I started using a plastic spackle knife.

The port side was in the shade and Goo Gone wouldn't help at all. The letter would just break up when I tried to get a peel started.

I got a blow dryer and once the letter edges were heated enough they peeled away easily. The problem was all of the adhesive stayed behind. Goo Gone could not remove it even after letting is soak for 1 hour. I tried rubbing with the Goo Gone and a cloth until my fingers blistered with no luck. I decided to go to a marine store and find a solution. I found a 3M Adhesive remover (http://www.shop3m.com/62478765092.html?WT.z_xsell=1&WT.z_refSKU=62466749306). This stuff worked very well. I wish I would have started with it. Apply a fairly good amount with a cloth and let soak for about 15-20 minutes. Then use a plastic spackle knife and it will just scrape off. It comes off in a goo. Make sure you use the spackle knife to remove the glue. I tried rubbing it out with a cloth but that just slopped it around. The spackle knife will get 90% of it up then you can wipe the remainder away with a cloth.

It's amazing what a little sun or blow dryer heat will do when trying to get lettering off.

Since the letters/decals were on my boat for 5 years and protecting the gel coat underneath I now have a perfect shadow of decals and letters. I am currently looking for a way to fix this. I've read that you can use a polish to fix this, but this doesn't seem probable. I was told that the only way to remove the shadow is to use a 1000-1200 grit sandpaper until the shadow is gone then compound/wax.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thank you
Stratocaster

Barryg
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 6:51 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Stratocaster, I would try compound before I started sanding. You may end up doing the whole boat but it will be worth it.I think you want the boat gelcoat to look like what is under the stickers.BG

Edited by Barryg on 03/25/09 - 6:54 AM

MW
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 7:11 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I use 100% pure silicone spray (hrdw. store) melt's it like butter. Then clean with mineral spirits on a rag. start with wax, if it's a it's a bit tough to remove, try some "Bon Ami" with a plastic brillo pad (Scotchbrite pad). Make sure you rinse well and dry so the new "Graphics" stick.

Matt

Bake
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 7:18 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

I have had two boats with decals that were a few years old removed. First was my 1997 outrage. I removed the decals before selling the boat. I wet sanded and polished my behind off and in the right light you could still see the shadow. The second boat was my current 1995 17 Edge Water. The boat was sold as a Marlin by Daughtry Marine. And in 1996 sold as Edge Water. The previous owner had already removed the marlin decal and replaced it with EdgeWater decals. Again I polished Then wet sanded and polished some more. still a shadow. I ended up Splashing a little awlgrip down the side and gave the boat a nice little face lift.(picture on personal page)

Both of the boats I had were white and I think that there was just enough color change by the sun on the unprotected area that the rest of the boat was actually brighter white than when new.

One thing I did notice was that after wet sanding and before polishing I could not see the shadow as much. if all else fails consider wet sanding the boat to a very smooth finish and just do not polish it to that mirror shine.

moose
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 7:20 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I'm fortunate to have a warm climate, but on very old lettering I carefully used a razor blade and they came off very easily with no scratching to the gel.
Mike

Tom W Clark
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 7:24 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

You've discovered that your do NOT want to attack the decals with chemicals, only the adhesive left behind after you've removed the decals. You need the decals to be intact so you can peel them off in as few a number of pieces as possible.

A hair dryer is all that is really needed.

To clean up the residual adhesive, use acetone which will cut it very easily. Silicone will not cut it all but will help prevent it from re-adhering as you push it around.

Really most any solvent will work, the trick being to use lots of fresh wipes, either rag or paper towel so you do not merely smear the adhesive around.

Also be sure to clean any residual solvent off the hull afterwards if you are using paint thinner, WD-40 and things like that. Acetone is extremely volatile and will leave nothing behind.

If there is a shadow once the decals have ben removed and you can feel this with your finger tips, the gel coat is raised and it MUST be sanded down with a "hard block" if you want to remove it completely. Do not be affraid, it only takes some elbow grease.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 03/25/09 - 7:26 AM

stratocaster
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/26/09 - 12:40 PM

Comments: 0

Great!! Thanks for all the replies. I tried compounding and it did help a bit, but I still can see the shadow. I plan to try compounding again tomorrow. As Barryg mentioned I am going to have to do the entire boat. No big deal though. I really want the boat to look great. After that I plan to do some sanding if the second compounding doesn't work. The problem is that I don't plan on putting any decals on the starboard or port sides so these shadows will show up prettly clearly.

I'll post some pics when I'm finished. :-)

thanks again.

Stratocaster

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 10:26 AM
Users Online
Welcome
billwhaler8578
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,097
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,490,314 unique visits