View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
repairing original steel gas tank w/rust
ossnap
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/23/09 - 1:14 PM

Comments: 0

Has anyone tried repairing a rusty tank. I just purchased a used Montauk and the owner had taken one of the original tanks out due to finding rust inside. Currently the boat has 1 original 12 gallon tank and a plastic 6 gallon next to it. The previous owner gave me the rusty tank with the purchase so I'm wondering if it's worth trying to repair, and if so, how do I go about it.

-Tony

MW
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/23/09 - 2:10 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

You might want to replace that with a plastic tank, it'll contaminate your fuel, and if it leaks could pose a fire hazard.

Matt

Jeff
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/23/09 - 2:19 PM

Comments: 34

This is a common repair to old automotive fuel tanks. Many use this product.

KBS Tank Seal

Besure and remove your gauge and pick up line when sealing the tank.

Edited by Jeff on 03/23/09 - 2:20 PM

RevengeFamily
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/23/09 - 2:54 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Tanks are not that expensive, I would not want to be 5 miles off the beach to find out that, A; The tank finally rusted through and I now have fuel running into my bilge. Or B; My fuel filter has finally plugged up with enough rust that my engine stalls. Don't put yourself or those you love in jeopardy. I think that's one of the reasons we all own Whalers, because they are without a doubt time proven to be the safest boats on the water.

Edited by RevengeFamily on 03/24/09 - 3:24 AM

ossnap
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/23/09 - 4:02 PM

I just wanted to clarify but I'm not using the bad tank. It's sitting in the floor of my garage. I'm just debating whether or not it is worth trying to restore the original tank. It's not rusted through or anything like that. It was just found to have some rust inside.

For the cost of what the repair materials are from the link that Jeff posted I could probably just replace with plastic tanks for not much more.

Does anyone know of any advantages/disadvantages to the plastic tanks vs. the originals? It would be nice to go aluminum but I don't think I can drop that kind of coin right now with all the other stuff I need to do.

The spare tank is not a priority since it's not in use but I wanted to get some feedback none the less.

Jeff
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/23/09 - 4:26 PM

Plastic fuel tanks to me always have looked cheap. I also hate how after a year in the sun they turn pink. While they have their advantages when it come to corrosion and alcohol tolerance I personally will go out of my way not to use them on my Whalers.

This is why I bought a used set of metal Mirax tanks and reconditioned them for my Newport. I like the OEM look of the Mirax / Tempo metal tanks as well as red paint does not fade like red plastic. Before I found my used set I was going to buy two new tanks from Mirax. I was quoted $225 per tank without any shipping. These tanks were the raw aluminum finish as well. Pricey but, worth it if you can not find an older used set. It is up to you but, I say save the original tanks and make them like new.

Edited by Jeff on 03/23/09 - 4:28 PM

theo
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/23/09 - 4:56 PM
Personal Page

I've used Por-15 to repair several steel gas tanks. Good products - easy to use, excellent instructions, no rinsing or flushing with solvents other than water, and quite durable. The final coating is thick enough to plug pinholes.

For me it beats the heck out of a plastic tank that will wear out and/or become unuseable in 10 years. And you deny the landfill in a small way by repairing rather than replacing.

ossnap
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/09 - 5:53 AM

Sounds like it may be worth trying to repair the tank after all. I'd rather have the originals in there if it's possible.

Jeff, if the plastic ones like to fade to pink then I can't have any of that. No pink allowed in the boat unless it's being worn by my wife!

Theo, since you have experience with the POR-15 product... what's your take on this stuff vs. the KBS tank seal. Or, are they pretty much the same thing?

theo
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/09 - 12:21 PM
Personal Page

The procedures are basically the same - degrease, rinse, dissolve rust, rinse, DRY, add "paint". I know Por-15 works and I'll wager KBS is also good. And dimes to dollars their chemistry is very nearly the same. I wouldn't be afraid to use either one.

The most critical mistake people make is to rush the drying step. Moisture under the coating will make a mess; you'll be throwing it away after all. (And Jeff already warned you to just treat the tank itself, not the pickup line or gauge.)

If you're careful about following the procedures, it's a simple and gratifying job.

Jeff
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/09 - 1:05 PM

Theo,

KBS is por 15

http://www.por15store.com/

John Fyke
#11 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/09 - 2:30 PM
Personal Page

I second the KBS product.

theo
#12 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/09 - 4:51 PM
Personal Page

Jeff wrote:
Theo,

KBS is por 15

http://www.por15store.com/

I'll be go to heck. Shock

Thanks.

I guess maybe the chemistry is a lot closer than "almost nearly the same." . . .

ossnap
#13 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 6:17 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I plan to purchase the kit within the next week or so and then give it a try. If all goes well, and I like the product/outcome, then I may even coat the other 'good' gas tank as a preventative measure.

DesertSport
#14 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 12:52 PM
Personal Page

There is NO repair. Not for me anyway. If you are talking about EXTERIOR surface rust-maybe.

Fuel tanks are NOT one item I "guess" on. There are too many bad situations that can exist with-leaks.

John Fyke
#15 Print Post
Posted on 03/25/09 - 3:41 PM
Personal Page

DesertSport wrote:
There is NO repair. Not for me anyway. If you are talking about EXTERIOR surface rust-maybe.

Fuel tanks are NOT one item I "guess" on. There are too many bad situations that can exist with-leaks.

Don't get to crazy. Were not talking about holes. Surface rust. Maybe you should read up on the product and see for yourself what it's all about.

theo
#16 Print Post
Posted on 03/26/09 - 9:04 AM
Personal Page

DesertSport wrote:

No one is quessing here. This repair is easy and durable, it saves money, it reduces waste, it's rewarding. And especially in Tony's case, we're talking about preventive maintenance. The risks are small and well defined.

Edited by theo on 03/26/09 - 9:05 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 10:49 AM
Users Online
Welcome
billwhaler8578
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,097
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,490,588 unique visits