View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Foam substitute
burtim
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 9:01 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I am "fishing" some wires in my hull (newer 13'Wink. I am looking at foam products that can fill in any voids. Can I use "Great Stuff" or any other spray in expanding foam insulation type products (come in an aerosol can) to fill in any empty spots? This product looks similar when dry to the foam in the hull. If not, why and is there a better choice?

mrengles
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 10:03 AM

I would be interested to see the replies you get as well.

2005 Montauk 170 - 90 HP Mercury Saltwater Series

Guts
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 10:07 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

Keep in mind, that stuff will Expand big time and it is possible to distort things

wrangler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 10:24 AM

Whenever it comes to electrical, foam etc etc going to a "Home" store for a "Boat" never works.
A marine store sells 2 part mix it polyurethane foam, this stuff is water resistant, and structurally tough. It sells for about $50. a quart and is expandable.
Great stuff costs about $8.00 a can.
You get what you pay for.
What did Whaler use to build the boat in the first place and why is a Whaler so expensive?
Whalers do not have a wood framework to provide structual support. Thry relied on the foam between the hulls.
Why would you go the cheap route and degrade the hull?
Not on my Whaler.
Your call.

burtim
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 1:24 PM
Personal Page

Good point on the two part.

I might take some of the removed material and compare it in a variety of ways with the cheap stuff first. I can always go back in and fill later. The right way seems like the best way. I will do more research while I continue to solicit opinions from anyone with more experience than myself.

kamie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 2:41 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

how much material are you removing? In the new 130s you should not need to remove foam to fish wires? If there are voids in the foam that would be a structural issue and I would be dragging that boat back to a dealer asap.

The accepted way to run new wires for older 13's is to reroute the wires under the rub rail.

burtim
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 6:33 PM
Personal Page

The boat is a 2001 and I wanted to add a receptacle up front for a 12V. trolling motor. I finished pulling the cable and it really worked out quite nice. There is a receptacle in the bow and the cable terminates under the amidship seat.

I should say I used to "fish" wires for a living, so I have a few tricks. I pulled 3-#8 AWG marine conductors (I always pull a spare just in case) all the way and I pulled them so the foam is relatively tight to them everywhere except foam removed to accomodate the cable bend at the connector in the bow. I have the advantage of having a dealer installed speaker on each side right in front of the seat that made a nice pull box. I just need to fill a 1-1/2" by 3" hole to make it seal up around the connectors at each end. The void is really not a big deal, but, I am a perfectionist and not filling it will bug me!

Anyone that wants to know exactly how I did this will have to meet the rest of us going to the get together at Lake Okoboji, Iowa on July 18-19 this summer (just a little plug there)!

Back to my question. Anything wrong with "great stuff" for a little sealing? Wil it react badly with the Whaler foam or dislike wetness? Any chemists or experienced advice is still welcome!

kamie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 6:43 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

If that is all you have to fill then there is nothing wrong with using Great Stuff. Just remember it expands like all get out so don't try to confine it. Spray it in, let it expand out, trim and your good.

Binkie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/09 - 6:08 PM
Personal Page

I used Great Stuff foam to foam in an aluminum fuel tank mounted in a locker in a bass boat I had. It is great stuff, very rigid and hard , and if your an electrician you already know that. I don`t think it would exorb water at all.

Rich

HarleyFXDL
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/09 - 7:32 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

There are two types of great stuff, one of which has minimal expansion. It is used around windows and doors. I have used this before and the expansion wasn't that great. I recommend spraying in a little and wait till it expands. You can use a cheese grater file to take it down. You can find one in any autobody supply store.

burtim
#11 Print Post
Posted on 03/17/09 - 8:31 PM
Personal Page

Good ideas guys. I likr the last one.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 12:57 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Joelturmel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,093
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,474,790 unique visits