View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
15 Sport
wellcraft
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/09 - 9:46 AM

Comments: 0

Hi guys, my father gave me a 1982 15 sport with a Johnson 70 for my son (he is only 2 1/2 year old). I'm in the planning process for a complete rebuild. He bought this boat back in 97 and in 2000 I gelcoat the whole boat. This boat never had a HIN #, only the # inside the transom (hull number I guess), I called BW and gave this # and they told me that this is an experimental hull Shock , what do they really mean by that? They say that the dealer wasn't suppose to sell it to the public and now they want to replace it with a brand new hull because of that. I prefer to keep this one and rebuild it. Yesterday I sent all the paper work to Georgia DNR for a HIN# request.

The boat has a lot of blister in the outside of the hull, apparently the problem was that back in 2000 we use a gelcoat that it was made to manufacture bathroom equipment so I guess it wasn't good enough for a boat that it was going to be in the water.

My plans for the boat is to sand all this gelcoat, repair all the blisters and all the scratches, hair line cracks and the area under the rub rail. I'll be painting the whole boat with awlgrip, BTW guys what is the awlgrip color that match this BW?
Sandblast the engine, painting it and put new decals (where is a good place on the net to get replacement decals for the engine ?).

I'm in the process of ordering basically everything Specialty marine has available for the 15 SS, this is the list:
(1) Super Sport Mahogany interior kit
(2) Mahogany Bow Hatch
(3) Wrap around railing kit w/hardware
(4) Bow light with chocks
(5) Stainless Stern Light
(6) Bow norman pin
(7) Seat cushions (pair)
(8) Backrest cushions (2)
(9) Bow cushion

When the original non skid is in bad shape, what are you guys doing to fix it or replace it. I will like to have everything as original as possible (diamond like non skid) and would like not to have to do it in sand like non skid, like my 224 mako boat (BTW this is under the knife too), this is a link of my project http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10145

Any recommendation for the rebuild will be greatly appreciated. I plan to use it this summer and start working on it when the cold weather starts. I think I will make a few holes under the hull to drain any water out of the hull.

BTW guys I was just kidding about a new hull from BW Grin, yeah right in my dreams, I wish it was true, but yes it is suppose to be an experimental boat with no HIN#.

Again what is suppose to mean by experimental boat Shock ?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Edited by wellcraft on 03/14/09 - 9:57 AM

ioptfm
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/09 - 4:10 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I can't help you with the non-skid surface, but I'm sure there are many on here that can. I would suggest you setup up your personal page with photos so we can see what you have.

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Bake
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/09 - 5:33 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

I would opt for the new hull. I know it probably means a lot to you being your dad's. Whaler wanting the boat back would indicated to me that It may be something you will be having problems with for years to come.

theo
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 10:27 AM
Personal Page

I almost fell over backwards when I read your post. Here are 3 friendly questions. No offense intended, honest!

1) Does your dad want to see his grandson grinning ear to ear with the wind in his face zooming around on the open water and learning to love boating starting at age 3 and lasting his whole life?

2) Or would he rather see the boat sitting out back in the barn half finished for 5 years and his grandson sitting in the sand box wondering what his dad is always doing out there by himself to midnight every night?

3) Are you nuts? Grin

(Well, maybe there's a whole ton of sentimental value in that hull. Or some other reason that's none of our business. That's OK too. Just yanking your chain a little here.)

Edited by theo on 03/16/09 - 10:29 AM

CES
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 11:15 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

wellcraft wrote:

BTW guys I was just kidding about a new hull from BW Grin, yeah right in my dreams, I wish it was true, but yes it is suppose to be an experimental boat with no HIN#.

Hey guys, hate to ruin it for you but he said he was joking about the new hull from BW.

Frown

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

theo
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 12:21 PM
Personal Page

wellcraft, if I ever visit Augusta would it be all right if I stop by and have you help me pry this stinky size 12 foot out of my mouth? Shock

By the way, that kid of yours is a darn lucky little shafer!

Bake
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 4:45 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

wow I thought I read that post all the way through, twice even. I refinished a 15 footer that the nonskid was really messed up on. I ended up painting the boat inside and out with awl grip. I masked off the non skid areas and used the sprinkle in stuff, then sprayed a top coat of paint. it turned out very nice and has lasted for several years. I know you asked about gel coat but I was just sharing my restore. I have a couple of pics if you are interested.

wellcraft
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 7:26 PM

No offense by any means here, but your killing me, LOL. When I read this post I almost cried laughfing. He gave it to my son but obviously I'll be taking care of the boat until he gets older Grin , maybe 15 years old or maybe older. LOL

theo wrote:
I almost fell over backwards when I read your post. Here are 3 friendly questions. No offense intended, honest!

1) Does your dad want to see his grandson grinning ear to ear with the wind in his face zooming around on the open water and learning to love boating starting at age 3 and lasting his whole life?

2) Or would he rather see the boat sitting out back in the barn half finished for 5 years and his grandson sitting in the sand box wondering what his dad is always doing out there by himself to midnight every night?

3) Are you nuts? Grin

(Well, maybe there's a whole ton of sentimental value in that hull. Or some other reason that's none of our business. That's OK too. Just yanking your chain a little here.)

wellcraft
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 7:32 PM

It will be a pleasure if you share the pictures, If you want you can send them to my e-mail jraboat@hotmail.com or you can post them here. I'll try to find a few pictures I took to the boat when I went to pick it up almost a year ago. I always wanted a 15 whaler, only had a 11 footer when I was about 12 or 13 years old. Now thanks to my son we have one. This might be the perfect dingy for my Mako Yacht 224 that is under the knife Grin.

bake wrote:
wow I thought I read that post all the way through, twice even. I refinished a 15 footer that the nonskid was really messed up on. I ended up painting the boat inside and out with awl grip. I masked off the non skid areas and used the sprinkle in stuff, then sprayed a top coat of paint. it turned out very nice and has lasted for several years. I know you asked about gel coat but I was just sharing my restore. I have a couple of pics if you are interested.

Specialty Marine
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03/16/09 - 7:42 PM

I thought I would post this information here in case anyone else out there wants to restore the non-skid. I have restored a couple Whalers that needed this done and had good results simply rolling on gelcoat. You have to be careful to not put in on too heavy otherwise you will fill in the nonskid pattern (I used a foam roller and squeezed out any excess gelcoat before rolling it onto the deck). It should also be thinned with acetone, or better yet Duratec high gloss additive - This will thin it and also allow it to air cure so you won't have to spray wax over the gelcoat to cure it. I prepped the surface by using a wire brush along with acetone to remove any impurities and the wire brush also works good to abrase the surface so that you get a good bond with the new gelcoat. I have never used awlgrip with this method but I would think this will also work. It may not be as durable as gelcoat though. I hope this helps.

Eric

seavee05
#11 Print Post
Posted on 03/18/09 - 1:25 PM

hi wellcraft, i'm also restoring a 15 sport(actually i have two, long story). but anyway for the nonskid, there's a company called MAS epoxy, in florida i think, that has a mold that interlocks with the current nonskid to create a perfect match. i know they have the little dot pattern used on whalers like your 15.
i'd love to see pictures of you project, i have two because i bought one to restore and share with my two teenage sons, then the one i restored 8 yrs ago appeared on this site for sale. i had to buy it back. now i have the bottom paint completely removed from the project boat and i'm getting ready to wet sand and see if i can restore the original gelcoat. i plan to use the interior i built back 8 yrs ago and the 60hp yamaha i purchased new back then on the project hull. then i'll sell the other one. i too have a larger boat (26' seavee) but the little boats are too fun not to have one. besides every teenager should have a little whaler, right?

LabCab
#12 Print Post
Posted on 03/18/09 - 9:34 PM
Personal Page

The interior color should be Desert Sand. I think your year also had Desert Sand exterior too. It is a custom mix for Awlgrip and I don't know the color codes. www.Jamestowndistributors.com sells quarts of Desert Sand custom mixed for slightly more than Awlgrip's standard colors. It's sold on line but does not appear in their printed catalog. They also have Whaler Blue Awlgrip. As you possibly know you can get Desert Sand gelcoat from Spectram Color. Another member mixed small amounts of black Interlux Brightside with off-white Interlux Brightside to approximate Desert Tan. So you have many choices. BTW I'm still working on an old hull too but I continually research treatments for it. I need to see how it floats before I determine whether it's Awlgrip worthy.

Tom W Clark
#13 Print Post
Posted on 03/18/09 - 10:20 PM
Personal Page

Whaler called the color Desert Tan, not Desert Sand.

A 1982 Sport 15 would have had a Desert Tan interior and an Outrage Grey exterior.

Desert Tan was not used on the exteriors of the small Whalers until 1984.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 1:32 PM
Users Online
Welcome
airplaneadam
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,094
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,475,134 unique visits