View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Short shaft on 15' ?
moose
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/09 - 11:27 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Has anyone tried to use a short shaft engine on a classic 15 hull using a set back bracket? I'm not sure how much "slant" there is on the transom on that hull compared to a classic 13. My son has a line on one in really good shape with no engine. He might try my Nissan 40 on it but not unless he gets some positive feedback. Any ideas?
Mike

theo
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/12/09 - 11:45 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Haven't done it or seen it done, but my jack plate has tons of vertical adjustment. From memory, I could lower my 20" shaft a lot if I wanted to. I could make a couple measurements for you if no one else chimes in.

moose
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/12/09 - 7:11 PM
Personal Page

As it turns out, our short shaft measures 17 1/2" from where it sits on the transom to the bottom of the anti cav plate. Since most 15 owners seem to raise their engines a bit for better performance, it might be doable without a set back. I know there's more to the measurement than that, but it's a starting place. We may want that measurement from you later, thanks.
Mike

Binkie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/12/09 - 7:34 PM
Personal Page

Mike I think most short shaft engines measure 17 1/2", If I`m reading you right you want to put a short shaft engine on a set back bracket mounted to a short shaft transom. If that is the case that is what I have done on my 13 footer. The problem you run into is when you tilt the engine up, the engine cowling or tilt tube or something else can contact the transom. and not let you tilt the engine all the way. I guess it depends on the design of the engine. I had this problem initially, but I worked it out with height adjustments of the set back bracket. Most people use setback brackets to put long shaft engines on short shaft boats, and don`t have this problem,

Rich

moose
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/13/09 - 6:00 AM
Personal Page

Rich,
I was hoping you would chime in. No, I'm trying to put a short shaft engine on a 15' sport. I might be able to pick one up at auction for under a grand including trailer, but no engine. We're thinking about trying the 40 short shaft Nissan on it to see if it will fit. If it won't we'll just have to shop for another engine. Since many people raise the engine quite a bit on the 15' models I thought a short shaft on a set back bracket would work ok. We might find out unless someone has tried it and lets us know the results.
Thanks,
Mike

number9
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/09 - 7:55 AM

As a couple people have mentioned it depends on the actual shaft length. If its at least 16" I'd give it a try. My Outrage does fine with a 21" shaft motor.

Binkie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/09 - 9:18 AM
Personal Page

Mike, Is the boat your looking at made for a short shaft or long shaft engine? measure the transom where the motor sits to the bottom on the boat. If it about 16-17" it is a short shaft boat. A long shaft boat measures about 21-22".
No way you can put a short haft motor an a long shaft boat, by simply clamping it to the transom. You need a setback bracket with enough setback to let the engine tilt. I would do that if the boat is a good deal, nice boat.

Rich

Binkie
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/09 - 9:22 AM
Personal Page

Mike, Is the boat your looking at made for a short shaft or long shaft engine? measure the transom where the motor sits to the bottom on the boat. If it about 16-17" it is a short shaft boat. A long shaft boat measures about 21-22".
No way you can put a short haft motor an a long shaft boat, by simply clamping it to the transom. You need a setback bracket with enough setback to let the engine tilt. I would do that if the boat is a good deal, nice boat.

Rich

Binkie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/09 - 9:27 AM
Personal Page

OR, if the boat is a long shaft, and your motor is a short shaft, get out the saw, and cut a 5" notch in the transom, and glass it over. Some purists might not like that idea, especially if the 15 footer was never built as a short shaft. I don`t have much knowledge on the 15 footers. Basically, you can make it work. the secret is making it look like it was built that way from the factory.

Rich

moose
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03/15/09 - 6:32 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for the replies, but the point is moot now,. The boat is in pretty good shape for one that was used by the state. We went to the auction and it went for more than we were willing to pay for it. It sits ona nice trailer and might be one of the commercial models. It had a side console made of fiberglass and a single seat across with aftermarket seats attached to that. It went for 2,750.00 to some other lucky buyer. All I came home with is some sort ot torn tendon, ligament, or muxcle in my foot. I won't be doing any boating any time soon. These crutches aren't boat friendly.
Mike

ps I typed this without my glasses, so please forgive the unreadable parts.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 2:15 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,475,561 unique visits