View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
what's causing this floor bulge?
steves
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/09 - 5:58 PM

Comments: 0

Hi Everyone.
I'm looking at purchasing a '86 outrage. It's nice and clean. The only thing that troubles me is the floor seam on the starboard side of the floor. It's covering the fuel tank, I think. I've included a pic to show. The seam starts to bulge up slightly at the console and runs almost to the transom. It becomes slightly higher as it moves from front to rear, but at its highest is still only about 1/2 inch. My guess is something swelling, but I must admit my knowledge of the inner workings of the whalers is limited. Is there a piece of wood under here? What am I possibly taking on if I buy this boat. It's really not so bad that I couldn't live with it. But I don't want to ignore something that shouldn't be ignored. The thought of pulling up the deck is distressing.
Any body venture to guess.
Thanks ahead of time.
Steve S

steves attached the following image:

[43.88Kb]
Edited by steves on 03/02/09 - 6:00 PM

mattgeiger
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/09 - 6:02 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

If it's not shoddy work from a prior repair, I'm guessing the floorboard core (wood) is saturated with water and has swollen. No reason not to buy the boat.

Edited by mattgeiger on 03/02/09 - 6:03 PM

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/09 - 6:04 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Steve -

Welcome to WC.

You have posed a clear question and the photo helps us tremendously.

The deck cover has a fiberglassed plywood layer. While not an expert, I would hazard a guess that water has infiltrated the seam and gotten into the ply, causing it to expand.

A second opinion is the screws has stripped and the cover has warped.

I would wait for a veteran member to confirm my opinions.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

steves
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/09 - 6:12 PM

wow, really quick responses are always great. So, if I do buy it, does this need to be dealt with? And if so, what's the best way?
Thanx again
Steve S

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/09 - 6:13 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

steves,

You must have missed this article in the article section:
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...ticle_id=8

I turned down buying an Outrage 18' because the floor was bulging like you describe.
I did not want to go through all that work.
If the boat is cheap enough and you want to do the work, then that is up to you.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 03/02/09 - 6:19 PM

todd12
#6 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/09 - 6:54 PM
Personal Page

Check your private messages

Todd

ioptfm
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/09 - 7:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

WOW! That article of Jeff's is a reall eye-opener............I think that I would contact Jeff Rohlfing and see if you can give him a call for first hand advice

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

regentsbay
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/09 - 7:34 PM
Personal Page

If the floor is bulging like that there is know doubt a real problem, I'm justing getting my floor back this week from the fiberglass shop. My Outrage 18 floor just had a small soft spot in the stern which I did'nt see nor did the marina but the fiberglass repair worker did. When we pulled the floor it was a wet soggy mess. So $1800.00 and 4 months later its back home. I would imagine an lot of the 18's out there if the owners pulled the floor up would be shocked.

Jeff
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/03/09 - 7:00 AM

Comments: 34

More than looking like it is swollen I am sure it is delaminating.

Though the floor repair took time it really is not that hard of a job. You just need a good work space, the right materials, and time time time. I would be happy to talk...PM me and I will send you my phone number.

I would not necessarily pass on the boat but I would take that into consideration in making an offer. Most have been charged 2 -4 thousand to do a fix like this. Also, if the boat is a 100% saltwater use I would expect to replace the fuel tank as well. Add $1000.

Also here is a link to Dave Buckalew's 18. He replaced the floor with a teak and rubber planked plywood floor.
Dave's 18

Here is a link to an inspection document I wrote which covers surveying for rotted decks.

Edited by Jeff on 03/03/09 - 7:03 AM

steves
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03/03/09 - 8:38 AM

A virtual wealth of info. My compliments to Jeff for the detailed processing info w/pix on the outrage floor repair. I'm not sure if I'll be able to accomplish that with the resources I have, but, again, I'm really grateful for so much input by everyone. I'll let you know where I end up.

Thanx

Steve S

Binkie
#11 Print Post
Posted on 03/03/09 - 9:01 AM
Personal Page

There are a lot of good boats out there now, at good prices. that boat would have to be really cheap. to interest me.

Rich

95Outrage17
#12 Print Post
Posted on 03/03/09 - 2:12 PM

Hi Steve,

I'm in the middle of fixing the exact same problem in the same place on a 1987 Outrage 18. It's really interesting that this is not uncommon it seems. On the boat I'm working on, I have removed the deck plate and it appears to be in fairly good shape with no apparent rot. I've done a few repairs to the deck plate itself, but mostly due to some imperfections from the factory. On this boat all the screw holes in that section were stripped where they enter the boat's deck. Someone in the past had installed larger screws; obviously a temporary fix. It's a fairly labour intensive problem to solve as the console, seat and deck plate need to be removed to do the repair properly. Plus the holes will likely have to be dried. I drilled out the holes, dried with methyl hydrate/acetone and a heat gun (not at the same time!). I have filled the bottom of the holes with thined epoxy and next I will fill the top part of the holes with thickened epoxy. Then redrill and install the deck plate, properly sealed, with the proper sized screws. I had not seen this problem before. I will look for it on other Outrages. The cause puzzles me though...
As for buying the one you're looking at; If the boat is in nice shape otherwise and there aren't comparable boats around without this problem, then I would use it as a bargining point. It also depends on if you're capable of repairing it, or if you'd have to pay someone you trust to repair it. if you're paying someone, you might want to ask them to look at it before you buy. If the deck plate is removed it's a great time to check the tank, replace the fuel lines and reseal the deck. All of which most boats of this age need.
The fuel tank appears to be in serviceable condition in the Outrage I'm working on, so I've just cleaned around the tank, I'm replacing the hoses and repairing a corroded gounding point. Also I'm replacing the bilge drain tube as it's easy to get to with the deck plate removed.
Email me if you want to see some pictures with the deck plate removed.

Cheers,

- Chris

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 6:04 AM
Users Online
Welcome
GenXJay
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,092
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,469,815 unique visits