View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
steering wheel 13ft
rody
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/22/09 - 1:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I've got a question about the difference in steerign wheels used on the early 13 ft whalers.

The early models got rope steering and nice good looking white steering wheels in various shapes, apparently hard to come by. I've got a black plastic 3 spoke steering wheel which dates my boat late sixties. early seventies boats with 'smirk' got rope steering but with the stainless 6 spoke wheel. LAter boats got 'teleflex' steering and stainless steering wheel.

I recently bought a very nice stainless steel 6 spoke steering wheel with a tapered shaft which I, in terms of looks, prefer over my current plastic wheel.
The shaft of the rope steering unit however is non tapered. (VEry rusty as well difficult to take apart)

Question:
Would it be possible without changing the steering wheel it self to adapt the tapered wheel to the older rope pull system? (this would be the early seventies set up)
Or are there other options?
I like the simple set up o the rope pull system. I prefer to use the ropes untill my '75 johnson retires and will be replaced by a "green" modern engine.

Thanks in advance
greetings from Amsterdam Holland

Binkie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/22/09 - 5:55 PM
Personal Page

I would look for a cast aluminum 4 spoke wheel used by Whaler and some other builders in the early `60`s. It looks great and is easy to restore as it can`t wear out. I had a nice one but unfortunately sold it. I have a six spoke stainless wheel on my 13 footer with rope steering. Like you say its meant for a tapered shaft, and the old helm isn`t tapered, but I drilled out the back, and "made" it fit. also there is no keyway, so its only the bolt that holds it on. Its been on there for two years now. I`d like to find another cast aluminum one though.

Rich

rody
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/09 - 4:52 AM
Personal Page

thanks!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 7:56 PM
Users Online
Welcome
jshllen1980
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,059
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,293,376 unique visits