View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Surplus Whaler........
WCFPD
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/16/09 - 11:08 PM

Comments: 0

My department recently picked up a surplus Whaler. It's about 32 feet long, with twin 175 Evinrudes. Due to it not being up and running, we need to get it up and running first before the board will take it in as part of the fleet; however, we have no idea how to get it runnin. It's been tasked down to me. I don't have any manuals or diagrams to know what to plug back in from the center console to the rear engines, and what I have to do to get the motors as well as the boat to get in running and in the water to run it. Can anyone help me out or give me some info?? I hope so thank you for reading hope you can help.

Thank you

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/16/09 - 11:11 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

You might want to get some manuals on the engines.

What brand of engines?
The wiring harness, key switch, etc., are all part of the engine accessories and really has nothing to do with any boat.

If I lived closer, I would be there tomorrow to help.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 02/16/09 - 11:12 PM

WCFPD
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/16/09 - 11:21 PM

we think the boat is a 2006, thats what the evinrude engines are. when we got the boat from the navy they unplug most of what they could, unhooked the steering components. we are trying to hook the steering up now and at least get the motors to turn over. we checked the motor trim. motor trim does not work from the center console, but worked when we directly hooked a charger up to the motor itself. then for some reason the port side trim motor will not work at all so that just threw us for a loop. problem is we have no one anywhere in this area that knows basic operations and setup for these types of boats

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/16/09 - 11:30 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Do you have an Evinrude dealer anywhere near you?

Or a good mechanic that knows engine harness wiring?

Again, this basically has nothing to do with the boat at all.
Engine harness plugs into engines and then runs forward to the console.
The engine harness then plugs into a key switch, instruments, accessories at the console...
The main thing is the key switch. You don't need instruments or accessories to get the motors running.
You say they turned over.
Do you have the Safety Lanyard installed so the engines will fire up?
A safety lanyard plugs into the kill switch(s) somewhere on the console probably next to the key switch.

Take a look at these key switches and tell us which one you have.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=74

You will see the kill switch and the red safety lanyard in the link above.

WCFPD
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/16/09 - 11:47 PM

the lanyard is in. there is no keys for the boat all push buttons to start the motors. our biggest problem is reconnecting the wires that were snipped by the navy when the decommissioned it. it's hard to describe without having pictures to post or email to you. but on Wednesday we will have pictures that i can send to you so you can actually see what we are talking about, it would be easier.

another question i have. do these boats have separate oil tanks that the engines would need? we cannot find any oil reservoir's that would supply the engines. fuel lines have been disconnected and the oil lines but no oil tanks.

Blue_Northern
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/17/09 - 6:47 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 5

Just a couple quick things for you here. First off look at the VIN number on your hull. It should be located on the transom of the boat to the upper right or left. The last 2 digits of the VIN will indicate the year of your hull.

Second I have a great web site for you to look up information about your motor.

CLICK HERE and in the middle of the page there will be a "screen shot" of the BRP parts tool. Click the image and it will take you to a very good resource for your motor. I went and pulled a 2006 Evinrude 175 model number E175FCXSDS -- there are four different models of 175 for that year so I did not know which one you had. I opened the diagram for the wiring harness and it has the leads for where everything plugs in -- check it out.

Click on the image and it will get bigger. The site I referred you to also allows you to zoom and gives you more detail for what each connector looks like. GOOD LUCK!

[img]http://www.agentacom.com/whalercentral/175diagram.gif[/img]

Rob
1973 Outrage/Lo-Pro Conversion

Blue_Northern
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/17/09 - 6:55 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 5

Just realized the diagram I gave you is for the motor side of the assembly. It shows where everything should plug down under the cowling. You would be better served to have the diagram for the motor to console wires.

Rob
1973 Outrage/Lo-Pro Conversion

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/17/09 - 1:26 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

You can also take a look at the engine harness wiring diagrams here.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...rowstart=1

Not sure which engine harness you have but if your engines are 2006 then they are most likely Evinrude E-Tec and will have the newer style engine harness.

Yes, they should have oilers but can't really say what the Navy did.
Maybe they run pre-mix fuel? I would make sure that your engines are getting oil somehow before starting them up.

WCFPD
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/17/09 - 2:39 PM

Thanks for all the help guys....

This NAVY boat does NOT have key switches, it has push-button start. I plan on going to work on the boat some more tomorrow and will take a lot of pictures so you guys can get a better idea of what I will need to buy to get the Whaler up and running.

So stay tuned for the pictures!!!

Thanks

ioptfm
#10 Print Post
Posted on 02/17/09 - 4:22 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Sounds like you have a project that we all can get interested in..............You should set up a project page so we can keep up with each step

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

WCFPD
#11 Print Post
Posted on 02/18/09 - 9:08 PM

OK guys here are the most recent pictures of the Whaler.

The main goal for the next month is to get the engines running and the engine steering components all in working order. I do know that the pistons move when I turn the wheel, but they are not hooked up to the engines, and there are a few parts missing. ANY tips or helpful hints will be greatly appreciated!!!

http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt...epilot340/

Edited by WCFPD on 02/18/09 - 9:08 PM

Derwd24
#12 Print Post
Posted on 02/18/09 - 10:30 PM

Comments: 9

It looks like your starboard engine is a '06 and your port engine is an '04. And your hull is a '03 model year built in August of '02.

Also, this is a great resource for Evinrude DI owners:

http://forums.etecownersgroup.com/mb/...rnaclebill

Edited by Derwd24 on 02/18/09 - 11:30 PM
Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

WCFPD
#13 Print Post
Posted on 02/20/09 - 7:35 PM

Cool that sounds good, we will be heading to the shop this weekend to try to hook up the Seastar steering components. I'll keep you guys posted, but again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Whaler27
#14 Print Post
Posted on 02/21/09 - 5:11 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Looks like you have a fair amount of work ahead of you to get that boat operational.

Those are direct injected Evinrudes. You will need to get and use oil tanks. You cannot run those motors on premix. 1.8 gallon tanks should be fine for those motors.

There should three tubes/lines on the motors. One is fuel, one is an oil supply line and the other is an oil return line. I believe the oil return line has a larger ID than the supply line. The Evinrude DI's recirculate oil between the tank and the motor. To recommission these motors, you will need to bleed the air out of the oil injection system. The operator's manual for the motor explains how to do this.

Be sure to use Evinrude XD-50 with those motors to reduce carbon buildup. '

Sparkplugs need to be indexed for proper running.

WCFPD
#15 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/09 - 11:22 PM

Would any of you guys know where I would be able to find the fittings to hoot up the steering pistons to the engines? Can I just use some stainless nuts/washers/bolts from a hardware store?

Derwd24
#16 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/09 - 12:01 AM

Comments: 9

From your pic's it looks like you have the SeaStar system, click on the link below and scroll down to the second section, SeaStar install. instructions. You can check the number on the hydraulic cylinder in your boat and select the corresponding PDF manual for your app. These should give you a good idea of exactly what you need:

http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/SHARED....htm&1

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Edited by Derwd24 on 02/25/09 - 12:10 AM
Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

MW
#17 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/09 - 2:07 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

It's specialized hardware that is made specifically for the steering components so that it does NOT rattle apart from vibration (steering loss at speed would be catostophic).

Matt

WCFPD
#18 Print Post
Posted on 03/09/09 - 5:41 PM

Well, after a bit of tinkering, we got the motors to turn over, and figured out how to hook up the steering. We weren't missing to many steering parts but the SeaStar steering mount does not fit on the engine mount, and we will have to drill a new hole for this system. We still cant get any power to the back of the boat from the switches in front...

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 29, 2024 - 11:14 AM
Users Online
Welcome
cromjue
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,030
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,150,879 unique visits