View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Painting the Interior of a 1962 13' Sport
MikeF53
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/13/09 - 4:10 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hello evryone,

I know this subject has been covered before and I have looked at some previous responses, but I'm looking for some opinions on painting the interior of my Whaler. I purchased a 1962 13' Sport last year that had a bad paint job on the interior. I've spent the last month and a half stripping the inside (I have limited time to work on it). Thanks to everyone who recommended Citristrip. I'm now down to cleaning out the stipper residue, sanding the interior and filling some holes. I have a friend who is good at painting and he is going to spray it for me. I've seen from wandering through the site that the two most popular brands look to be Awlgrip and Interlux Bright Side. I'd like to know:

What brand do you prefer and why?
Is there anything we should look out for when prepping the boat for paint?
I'm going to paint it blue, reccomendations on paint color?
Is there anything we should look out for when applying the product?
Recommendations for primer and thinner or just go by what the manufacturer says?
I've read diffrent opinions on how well the Interlux dries. Any opinions on that?
Best place to buy paint for the least cost?

Also, when I took the old paint off, we found three patches in the floor that no longer have non skid on them. Has anyone ever tried to repair their floor and put the nonskid back in?

I know there are alot of questions here, so I thank everyone for their help. I'll get a project page going when I get a few more pictures taken.

Thanks again.

Mike Freitag
1962 13' Sport, 2009 30 HP Evinrude E-ETC

Edited by MikeF53 on 02/13/09 - 4:13 PM

pirate
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/13/09 - 4:56 PM

Comments: 0

If you are going to use Interlux then I would stay away from Brightside for a Boston Whaler. It is a 1part Polyurethane.It is great for smaller boats i.e kayaks,canoes or small dinghies but not as durable for the likes of a Boston Whaler. Look at Perfection by Interlux which is a 2 part LPU type product and sprays or roll&tips very well. Perfection is less expensive than Awlgrip by the time you buy all the converters hardeners and thinners from Awlgrip. Awlgrip is a very good product. Interlux Perfection is a bit less toxic then Awlgrip. I have painted about 6 boats with both using the roll & tip method which came out quite nice as I am told by others(looks sprayed). This is my only experience with these products. But you are lucky to have someone who can spray it for you as both these products are great. Good luck!! Oh and by the way how do you like your 09' E-tec 30?

Edited by pirate on 02/13/09 - 4:58 PM

HipMOtized
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/15/09 - 8:51 AM

Comments: 2

I left you a PM , hope to hear from you. but I was also searching the site- about your non skid repair question- I found a thread that was left by Daddy-O and one by Kamie- they both explained different for re-creating the non skid pattern. One of the posts suggesting following the technique on www.masepoxies.com

hope this info helps

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 3:10 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Jgb333
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,103
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,516,586 unique visits