View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Honda 90 hp 4-stroke on a '69 Sakonnet
Lil Joe
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/23/09 - 5:51 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Would anyone know whether a Honda 90hp carb. four-stroke is too heavy for a '69 Sakonnet? My dad saw this used engine for sale and was curious about repowering his old Sakonnet.

My impression is that it is too heavy (not to mention too much power for him) and whether this will screw up the ability to quickly plane.

I've seen engine hp on this model topping off at 100 hp and total load capacity is 2400 lbs. The engine comes in around 385 lbs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you all so much.

Lil Joe

acordts
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/09 - 12:12 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 4

IMO, Honda 90 is too heavy for a 17 Montauk type hull; but it really depends on what kind of boat performance and function you want to wind up with. The hull speed you can generate with this much power will probably niche you into pretty flat calm, lake type conditions, and will really be an overweighted dog when you are throttled down and off plane in heavier water chop conditions. You will fall off a planing boat at a higher speed with this much engine weight.

As an extreme in the opposite, I under repowered a 17 Montauk hull with a Honda 50. This is just a delightful compromise when I am solo or one other light passenger such as the wife. I plane at full throttle about 24 mph. It trolls ultra slow and quiet, turning a small propeller. In rough water conditions (when every boat on the water has to slow down or else you would pound your teeth out), the relatively light transom weight keeps the boat bobbing the wave action higher, dryer,and more responsively.

The tradeoff, of course, I am not towing tubers or skiiers; I am not a speeding bassboat;; and three onboard is a crowd. My vote is: pay attention to your transom weight.

Lil Joe
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/09 - 5:34 AM
Personal Page

Sauerkraut

Many thanks for takling the time and for your opinion on this along with your real-world experience with the Honda 50hp.

You confirmed some of my concerns. We also primarily boat in L.I. sound and, with that chop, lighter on the transom will certainly serve us better.

Thank you again!

Lil Joe

souweine
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/09 - 7:43 AM
Personal Page

Greetings,

I put a Merc 90 on the back of my Nauset last summer and I have nothing but great running ever since.

I notice the stern sitting lower a little bit. It's about 1/2 inch at the stern. Other than that the power is really nice. I plane fairly easily, and cruise quite nicely around 16 mph.

I don't think that motor is overpowered, but I very often carry 4 passengers and gear for a days worth of cruising.

Hope that helps!

Joshua

Tom W Clark
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/09 - 9:44 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

The older Honda BF90 is a very heavy motor for that hull.

If you move the battery forward and do not have a kicker motor, it might be OK.

If you have any added weight in the stern or if your hull wolds any water in it, don't use that motor.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 11:38 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,514,314 unique visits