View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bow Mount Trolling Motor for 13 Sport
noreast
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/14/09 - 6:47 PM

Comments: 0

Hello All!

I am looking for a bow mount solution for an electric trolling motor on a 13 sport.

Has anyone done this or have any suggestions.

Thanks for any advice!

Binkie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/09 - 4:55 AM
Personal Page

A friend had a bow mount trolling motor on his 13. As rough riding ad the 13 footer is the motor took a beating on the bow. Think about a stern mounted trolling motor, I mounted mine on a small bracket, but it will just clamp on the stern. Simple installation and convenient to use and you can just set it straight ahead and steer with the steering wheel.
Here is a picture of mine.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c19...HALER3.jpg
rich

Rich

Chris in MD
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/09 - 2:55 PM

I made one out of Okoume plywood, epoxied it and then painted it. I tried to cut it and sand as best I could to maximize the contact along various points of the bow.

I used a two part polyurethane construction adhesive (I thought thismay be stronger than a typical epoxy bond) and glued it to the top rim on the bow. I have only used it once and have to say that if your gentle when turning it on it seems fine. BUT, when I stow it in a horizontal position and run at WOT there is some noticeable flex in the fiberglass skin where it is mounted.

It is actually a small 35# transom mount and not a typical bow mount. This way I coudl avoid extensive bracing to mount the full mounting assembly of a traditional bow mount.

If you want pictures let me know and I could take one or two when I get a chance.

Chris

flight risk
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/09 - 5:02 PM

I have one mounted on my bow.. no problems. I have the 13 dauntless ( do believe they ride better than the sport though) with a 30lb thrust, battery located under the console and the plug on the console wall. It pulls ok but with a current it does struggle...
Recommendations.... Go for the 55lb thrust and as long (shaft) as you can get it.

Ps... I was hoping to untroduce myyself on the first post but manors eluded me... Hello...

burtim
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/09 - 6:34 PM
Personal Page

I've been considering all the options for motors on my 13 Sport as well. Please link in as many photos of existing installations as you can for me.

There are several other options to consider. One is the trolling motors made by Minn-Kota that mount on the cavitation plate of your gasoline motor. The other (by the same mfr.) is the trim tab motors that solve two problems the 13 has (tendency to porpoise when loaded aft CG and the need for a good way to mount a trolling motor on a such a small boat).

All of the options I've found require limited modification of the boat to make them work. The bow and transom mounts require accommodating the motor when it is not in use. I like the Minn-Kota quick mounts that are made of plastic. When the motor is off the boat, all that remains is a rectangular "puck" for the mount. A transom mount would require a mount that could be behind the stern and out of the way. B th options make it easy to convert from a fishing boat to a clean looking runabout for cruising. The 13 is so small that every inch of space is pretty important for anything you wnt to do with it.

From an operational standpoint, the bow mount is nearly everyone's preference. It is easier to maintain a track with when fishing. The transom mount is easier to deal with as far as stowing and wiring goes. The power cables can be snaked into the motor fuel and control lines.

I haven't done anything with a motor on my 13 yet. I'm taking my time and considering all the ways to do it. I haven't drilled a single hole anywhere in my hull. When I do, it will be after cosiderable deliberation!

Thanks

todd12
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/09 - 8:17 PM
Personal Page

Noreast,

Here is a setup that I came up with. The same mounting principle will apply to your 13' . Use the outer lip of the hull and thru bolt a plate.Use a dowel rod under the lip to spread the stress. This turned out to be a very strong way to mount a motor on the bow. Check the photobucket link that I have on my personal page. I have a cardboard template on the 17' montauk. Get someone to fabricate a similar plate out of 3/16 or 1/4 aluminum.

Todd

todd12 attached the following image:

[60.91Kb]
Edited by todd12 on 01/15/09 - 8:19 PM
Todd

drd
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/09 - 5:30 AM

I also added a bow mount trolling motor on my 13. I Mounted a piece of mahogany on the starboard side gunnel. to this I mounted a min kota bow mount trolling motor. There is basically a base which is mounted to the mahogany/hull. the motor has a quick release so I can remove it when not in use. I only use the trolling water in fresh water lake, where long runs over rough water never happen, so bouncing around is not a problem. I remove the trolling motor when trailering and in salt water.

bcain
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/09 - 8:33 AM

I too am looking for the best way to mount a trolling motor. From the posts, there are several good ideas, but I would like to see some photos from different angles. The one that intrigues me most is from todd12. Can you add some more photos to your personal page so we can see the details of the mount?

My 13' is a 1973 make and doesn't have much rail to work with, like some of the newer models I've seen. I live on a 130 acre watershed lake, so easy manuvre on mostly calm and shallow water is where I will use it the most. One problem with this lake is that is has a lot of aqua weed, so I will have to set the prop shallow.

All, Thanks again for the ideas!
Brent

todd12
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/20/09 - 4:45 PM
Personal Page

I passed by my old whaler this afternoon and took a couple of pictures of the trolling motor mount. There are more pictures on my personal page. The trolling motor looks a little ruff as compared to when I owned it.

Thanks,

Todd

todd12 attached the following image:

[49.39Kb]
Todd

bcain
#10 Print Post
Posted on 01/21/09 - 9:27 AM

Todd, Thanks for the detail pictures. That helps a lot cause I wasn't sure how to keep it secure. I noticed you drilled all the way through just under the rail and added a spacer support. Is this support plastic?

todd12
#11 Print Post
Posted on 01/21/09 - 10:21 AM
Personal Page

I used a wood dowel rod. If I were doing it again, I would plain down one side. It would make for a cleaner look. This method is very strong.

Todd

Todd

CES
#12 Print Post
Posted on 01/21/09 - 11:47 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Thanks Todd for the pictures. I have been wondering myself how to put a trolling motor on my classic 13 and you've provided a solution. A picture IS worth 1,000 words.......at least that many.

Thanks!

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Barryg
#13 Print Post
Posted on 01/21/09 - 7:11 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Another option for mounting would be a starboard base . Front screws are drilled through the deck , right behind the rubrail . The back screws are just screwed into a wedge type design that gives support when the torque of the motor pushes down on it. BG

Barryg attached the following image:

[39.42Kb]

Schuyler84
#14 Print Post
Posted on 02/04/21 - 4:46 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 2

My goal was to produce a mount for my 1987 Super Sport 13 which could be easily be installed and removed from the boat. As such, the mount would not utilize fasteners to secure it to the hull. The mount was produced from 18mm meranti marine plywood. The mount is installed over the lip of the bow, over the bow light, and over the norman pin. The mount is designed with mahogany runners which permit a plywood key to slide into and lock in place beneath the norman pin. I included a provision to remove any lash via a turnbuckle to be attached between the forward portion of the mount and he bow eye. However, this accommodation was found to be unnecessary as the mount had virtually no lash. As part of a modular design approach, a Minn Kota quick release trolling motor mount was installed atop my fabricated mount. As the trolling motor is fairly heavy, this modular approach permits the trolling motor to be mounted after my fabricated mount has been installed. As no fasteners are used to secure the fabricated mount to the hull, this solution leaves no traces when the trolling motor and fabricated mount are removed, permitting the boat for other applications. I have included some photos on my Personal Page (http://whalercentral.com/infusions/pe...r_id=46168).

Edited by Schuyler84 on 02/06/21 - 6:15 AM
1988 Super Sport 15 & 2021 Yamaha F70LA

"The sea is selective; slow at recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit." - Riesenberg

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 11, 2024 - 10:08 AM
Users Online
Welcome
CasperD
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,074
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.31 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,381,856 unique visits