View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
AWLGRIP Paint Code to Match Desert Tan 1982 Newport
Eri
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/12/09 - 1:22 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Has anyone used AWLGRIP for an older whaler with the Desert Tan color? If so is there an AWLGRIP code or paint number?

Thanks,

Eric

ritzyrags
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 11:10 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

From what I have read from a few different source the Alwgrip "Oyster White" is the closest match for the Desert Tan original tint.

Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Jeff
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 11:42 AM

Comments: 34

Your 1982 Newport is desert tan only on the interior and decks. The exterior is called Light Grey / Outrage Grey.

If you are looking to hit a color that is close to desert tan and do not have a piece to sample here is some info that may help. I have done research using the underside of my 1985 Outrage deck hatches under color corrected lights have found that the PMS (Pantone Matching System) color #7527 is a near perfect match to desert tan (every gel coat lot differs a bit though). Anyone working with paints or printing will (or should) know how to match that color.

Edited by Jeff on 01/13/09 - 11:43 AM

Bake
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/13/09 - 12:10 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

oyster white is a great color but is not a match to desert tan. I painted my project 15 with oyster white and it was no where close to desert tan, not a big deal to me, I was not trying to match factory color

Eri
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/14/09 - 6:05 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for the imput guys. I talked with AWLGRIP yesterday and they do not have a Desert Tan match as of yet. They indicated they were looking for a chip of it to make a match some time. I am surprised the inside and outside are two different colors. I might just go with the Oyster White throughout. Does the light grey/Outrage gray have a BW color code that I could cross with the AWLGRIP paint? Thanks, Eric

Binkie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/14/09 - 8:21 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Is there a place where you are planning to cut a hole in your hull with a holesaw. If so you would have a perfect sample of desert tan (the cutout from the holesaw) maybe someone else has one.

rich

Rich

Eri
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/14/09 - 8:57 AM
Personal Page

AWLGRIP says their Stark White is the white BW has been using for years. They did not have that Pantone color #7927 on their Pantone chart. He suggested getting something from a Sikkens chart to cross reference or I could just send him a chip which I may have laying around and was mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the input

Eric

Eri
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/20/09 - 7:06 AM
Personal Page

Well I compared the AWLGRIP Chart to my boat. They are no exact matches. I am going with Stark White which is what is like the newer Whaler white. It is much brighter than the original color. Also I compared a large paint chip from the inside of the hull to the bottom. They are the same color! So Im wondering if the whole boat was originally Desert Tan or the Outrage or Whaler grey someone mentioned earlier.

Bake
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/20/09 - 5:22 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

One note on the brighter white.......

I painted my project 15 with insignia white on the topside. just about the time I got the finish coat on I realized it was blinding in the summer sun. I promptly went to the store and bought the oyster white. I see the stark white is not as bright as what I used by the chart but just one more thing, I thought you might want to consider before buying the paint.

I also owned a 1997 outrage that I would guess is the color you are referring to as the boats that match the stark white. I did not find it too bright...........but the awlgrip will have a higher gloss finish than the gel coat.

Eri
#10 Print Post
Posted on 01/20/09 - 6:00 PM
Personal Page

The light issue was a thought. I assume that if whaler is using it now that it should not be too bad. I still haven't ordered it so maybe i will take another look at the chart. My painter and I decided we like the cleaner look of the stark white. I am going to add a red harpoon stripe at the top instead of the black solid stripe it came with so it should look pretty good. I also got the Newport 18 sticker in red as well. I might put the name sticker in the middle of the stripe instead of in the rear just to give it a little different look.

Eri
#11 Print Post
Posted on 01/22/09 - 10:37 AM
Personal Page

Just and FYI, in regards to a previous post about the boats color. Evidentally it is believed that it was a BW typo that indicates the outside of my hull or of early 80's Outrage whull is Whaler/Outrage Grey and the inside is Desert Tan. It is believed that the hulls were Desert Tan inside and out. My interior and exterior are definately the same color.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 9:37 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,512,941 unique visits