View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New member - new project (1967 Nauset)
scostagl
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/30/08 - 7:36 PM

Comments: 0

http://picasaweb.google.com/scosta99/Whaler#

Pics above.

Hi all:

Pretty new to the forum. Just wanted to share my project with the members here. I bought this 1967 Nauset a few months ago for cheap and I'm in the progress of restoring it. So far, I've stripped it an started to clean it. Lots of spider cracks and pitting in the gel coat. I plan to re-gel the exterior and awlgrip the interior. Not sure what to do with the interior as far as the non-skid. Basically, I want to restore it to exactly original condition...

this forum is great.....glad to see such great support for these boats!

Edited by scostagl on 12/30/08 - 7:37 PM

jquigley
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/31/08 - 5:17 AM

Comments: 1

Thanks for sharing the project, and welcome to WC. You may check out http://www.nauticallumber.com once you get nearly through with your hull repairs. They are a site sponsor, and active on this site.

Chat with Mike Stennet, he makes "replacement original" interiors and has some really nice products for the 16'7" hulls. I have only had a small bit of work done by him so far and I find I can't help but recommend him. His shop is near my house, and I have had the opportunity to go there a few times. It is really impressive. You may have noticed some of his ads if you have done any browsing on Craig's list.

Also check out the sections on project albums. You can keep us posted on your project and each photo has the ability to hold captions, and also you will find that other members can comment or ask questions right there in the album on any picture, and so can you. This makes it nice if you have specific questions or someone has a comment. It is easier than to say check out the 2nd photo from the right in the third row on page three of my photobucket/picasa etc. There is a lot of help around here if you have any questions about using the site.

In your project album for example, you can place a picture with the nonskid area that is in question and post a question like "What is the best way to repair this to original?" or if you already have a handle on that, you can explain what you did and post a picture of the result.

Sorry for the long post, but there is a lot of good stuff around here to see. I have been having some issues with my camera/computer at home so I haven't made a project album yet, (I started the teardown last month) but it may be in my future also.

--John

Edited by jquigley on 12/31/08 - 5:41 AM

scostagl
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/31/08 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the tips. Funny you mention Mike's work - I was already eying his center console and seat. It looks like high quality stuff and I like the fact that I can buy it as a kit if I wish.

I'll definitely look into creating a project page here, as it makes sense to keep all my pics on the site and well organized.

My next steps this week (as I have some time off from work) are to remove the outboard (a 1979 100hp Evinrude) and start the interior patch work using a West system kit I recently bought at West Marine. I think I'll have to build a motor stand first- so I should have plenty to keep me busy.

I'm sure I'll be spending plenty of time on this site searching the forums for advice! Smile

jquigley
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/31/08 - 10:45 PM

I just built a motor stand myself, about a month ago. Let me know if you need plans for building one, I found a nice set of plans on the web and I still have them around somewhere.

--John

scostagl
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/01/09 - 5:10 PM

Sure....if it isn't too much trouble I'd appreciate it. Thanks

jquigley
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/01/09 - 6:58 PM

I'll dig it up now. Give me a little bit to find it. I'll try to get it posted tonight.

Ok, I've got them. There are four images that are about 265KB in file size. That's not real large, but larger than the allowed filesize. Its mostly lines and text, but I believe the admins would rather I keep them out of the forum because of how long it may take others to load the thread depending on their internet connection. I tried to submit an article with the pictures included, but I did not see a place to attach files from my desktop. If you send me a PM with your email address I can send them in an email if you want. I understand if you are leery about sending your email address, and the plans are really worthwhile, and would be good to have up on the site. Admins, any suggestions?

---John

Edited by jquigley on 01/01/09 - 7:19 PM

jquigley
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/01/09 - 8:23 PM

I have it as a .pdf now, but its six pages. I think i was missing two pages before. Do you have the ability to view this filetype. Some of the writing is small, but you can zoom in to see it larger.

---John

jquigley
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/02/09 - 8:15 AM

scostagl,

You have an email.

---John

Joe Kriz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/02/09 - 9:37 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

jquigley,

To submit an article with photos.
1. Submit the written article using the link on the left sidebar.
2. Send us the photos via email

In the article, just make sure you show where each photo is supposed to go.
Like, <photo #1 goes here> etc..

jquigley
#10 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/09 - 11:24 AM

Joe, there really is no text, it is just a diagram. Just and intro and then the diagram would be fine I guess. Look for the email with the file soon. Problem is, the specs are small print so it may be hard to read without the ability to zoom in really well and then out for the items that aren't so small. I'll send the file, let me know if it will work formatted for use on the site, then I will write the intro. These plans were created for a 55hp Chrysler outboard by iboats.com member dh4winn79. Obviously they would need to be modified to be suitable for larger motors.

---John

Binkie
#11 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/09 - 5:26 PM
Personal Page

I don`t know why you want to gel coat the exterior, and Awlgrip the interior. No benefit to that at all as far asI can see, and a lot of extra work, and expense. Just go with one or the other on the entire boat. Both will give good results, and last a long time.

rich

Rich

scostagl
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/09 - 12:49 PM

Just wanted to update the board on my restoration. All I can say is that sanding the exterior / interior took ALOT of work and time. I had the right tools too (belt sanders, Random orbital sanders, etc)... Anyway, I finally sanded out all the cracks and pitting (finished in early Spring) and then I thought it would be best to fill any/all gaps with West system. Ended up using the west system epoxy on almost the entire surface of the interior, as there were just too many imperfections. Boat was flipped and then all the old bottom paint was sanded off (what a messy job that was, even with a vac attached sander). Glad I bought a good 3M respirator, as this paint must have had all kinds of toxic stuff in it.

After more West system with fairing filler, and of course more sanding, I barrier coated the entire bottom with 2 coats of West system. Once the hull sides were sanded filled and sanded smooth (probably another 15hrs of work here) I gave her 2 coats of Awlgrip high-build primer, then one coat of sealer primer then 3 coats of oyster white topcoat. Awlgrip is amazing paint....this stuff is as hard as nails and is fairly easy to work with as long as you follow the directions exactly.

Anyway, I'll post some pics in my project page soon. Next step is to flip her over and finish the interior. I also picked up an original mahogany interior from a 66' Nauset that I've refinished in 8+ coats of Schooner varnish 96 (that was another 10+ hours of work). She is going to look like new again! If anyone is looking to do a similar restoration using awlgrip I'd be happy to offer tips on cost, coverage, method, etc.

Edited by scostagl on 07/17/09 - 12:52 PM

ioptfm
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/17/09 - 3:18 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

You really need to post some pics so we can see and learn from your progress

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

scostagl
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 6:18 AM

new pics are in here
http://picasaweb.google.com/scosta99/Whaler#

I tried creating a project page but I'm having issues....I did manage to post 2 pics on my personal page. I'll search for a "how to" for a project page as I'm sure this has been discussed before!

CES
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 11:12 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

You're making wonderful progress! Keep up the great work.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 4:56 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,486,414 unique visits