View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1989 Outrage 18 Fuel Tank
elmroc
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/04/08 - 12:58 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hello fellow Whalers. I am going to get straight to the point here.

I have a 1989 Outrage 18, which up until a couple weeks ago was running great. But the last couple weeks, on every trip, I've found it very hard to start. It's powered with a 1989 Johnson 120 VRO. What I've been doing is, every time i drain my water separator, I pump the primer ball, and after repeated attempts to fire her up, she starts.

I notice that when I drain the separator, there's a small amount of water, but there is quite a bit of this suspended white gooey looking stuff that, after a while, settles to the bottom. It doesn't feel gritty to the touch or anything, but very gooey looking.

Just this past weekend, I did the same routine, and after the boat running in the no wake zone for about 30 minutes, and after 5 minutes at WOT, the motor cut out, and the pump ball went soft.

Unfortunately, all I'm able to put in is ethanol laden fuel, so no other choices there.

Any ideas on this to start would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 08/05/08 - 7:09 AM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/04/08 - 4:27 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I am assuming the boat was serviced and/or running fine this spring?

When was your first tank of E10 fuel? How much of E-10 is in the tank and how old is it. Did you add any type of fuel conditioner to the tank when fueling?

Without anyone giving you better advice, I would rule out the tank and lines by buying and rigging up a small portable tank. Just run it to the port feeding the separator filter.

Regarding ethanol, I have read:

The ethanol in E-10 blended gasoline is, by it's nature, a solvent. It will clean grime. minerals and other material in your tank and lines. This may be what you are seeing in the filter.

If your fuel fill or feed lines are not alcohol-resistant (stamped on the hose) the ethanol can do damage to them. I would wonder about the gas lines on the engine too.

E- 10 blended fuel does not absorb as much water as straight gas. When it reaches it's absorption limit, phase separation occurs. There are 3 phases (not 2 as with straight gas). The three phases are water, ethanol (slightly altered) and gas (slightly altered).

With straight gas, the water separates and the gas is fine. With E-10, the gasoline part is modified and not good to use.

See this lFAQ page by Mercury

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

kamie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/04/08 - 5:09 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

I have to ask, but do you have a metal gas tank or a plastic one? Sounds like the ethanol is killing something, either the tank if it's not metal or something in the tank. With the 89, you should have the newer hoses, but just to be sure, I would pull the access ports and check fill and vent hoses for signs they are failing.

elmroc
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/08 - 5:32 AM
Personal Page

Phil and Kamie,

Thanks for the reply. I have a metal(Aluminum) fuel tank. I changed the fuel line last season becasue i had a dry rotted fuel line that was taking in water last season, and was changed. I did make a mistake at the end of last season though. I winter stored my boat with about a 1/3 tank of fuel that was purchased in September. The fuel wasn't drained, but the marina said they tested it, and it was ok this spring when the boat went in. so i ran it down to 1 1/4 tank, then topped off the tank. The boat did run great the first few weeks when i put put it in. (i put her in Memorial Day weekend)

I'm kinda thinking that the old fuel contaminated the new fuel, and it's cleaning out the inside of the fuel tank.(that would be the white stuff). But also, one of the mechanics at the marina said that it was possible that the the white stuff could be some sort of bacteria.? Not sure how you can tell that.

So, i've got the marina draining the remainder of the fuel in there, which at this point is 1/4 tank. They're also gonna check the carbs to see what kind of build up is in them. Just wondering also, if it's worth putting a regular car type inline fuel filter after the water seperator? WIll this help or hurt anything?

Thanks for the reply guys

Edited by elmroc on 08/05/08 - 5:35 AM

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/08 - 6:26 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I think a basic 10 micron (Racor or similar) water separator filter in addition to the engine fuel filter is adequate. I would not add an additional filter.

If the gas is drained, fuel/fill/vent hoses replaced and then you use treated gas, you should be okay. I recommend treating the gas every time you fuel up.

I think a carb cleaning will get you back to whole.

With blended fuels, I am not exactly clear, or maybe it's "not comfortable" with storing the tank 3/4-Full over the winter. I expect there will be a good discussion on the board on how should deal with winter fuel storage as the time gets closer.

Post the results from the yards look at the engine.

1992 Outrage 17 I

kamie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/08 - 6:47 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I'm not buying the bacteria, I left my tank at 1/4 full the summer my Merc blew, since I knew I would need to drag the boat around and didn't want to trailer the weight. I added stabilizer but nothing else. I filled the tank after installing the E-Tec (6 months later), adding a new rancor filter and replacing fill and vent hoses. I had no problems at all, so something doesn't add up.
Let us know what they find out.

elmroc
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/08 - 7:38 AM
Personal Page

I'll do that. Thanks Guys.

I'm hoping (i think) it's just ethanol breakdown/seperation, and not a leak in myfuel tank.

Tell me this, if it is ethanol breakdown (or whatever you want to call it, would the motor be hard starting?

elmroc
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/08 - 7:39 AM
Personal Page

Oh...and what do you recommend treating the fuel with?at Fillups?

elmroc
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/08 - 5:16 AM
Personal Page

bump

egerrity
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/08 - 5:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I use Startron fuel additive on both boats and snowmobiles and all lawn equip. Its not cheap but i have had no problems. I guess you could use STABIL as well.

Ed
1991 Montauk 17 - 2012 ETEC 90HP

Phil T
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/08 - 6:06 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

I have been using Stabil since it is easy for me to find. I trailer and fill up at gas stations. My boat is parked in my driveway. Over the winter it has a full tank of treated gas.

1992 Outrage 17 I

elmroc
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/08 - 12:09 PM
Personal Page

Thanks Guys.

I'll give it a go, after i get it figured out.

elmroc
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/08 - 1:32 PM
Personal Page

Well,

I officially heard from my Marina mechanic today regarding my fuel problem.

Sever ethanol seperation. This ethanol spiked fuel seperated, drew some moisture into the fuel tank, and really got the inside of my fuel tank nice an clean.
Anyway, after draing out the fuel, they were to clean out the carbs and get rid of the gunky mess. They recommended i run some brand new fuel in small amounts in the tank with some fuel additive and keep cleaning out the water seperator. after a few gallons, they said any resdual "gunk" should be ironed out.

I was honestly thinking it was going to be wayy worse, with a bad fuel tank.

BTW, all my fuel lines did check out ok.

Phil T
#14 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/08 - 4:42 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Good to hear you know what the problem is. Bad news to hear it is a case of phase separation.

Are you saying your hoses are alcohol resistant? I am skeptical because a 1989 model boat could have been produced in 1988 and if the hoses are original, they would not be the new kind.

From my reading (not an expert) the older (non-alcohol resistant) hoses degrade over time. While they may be okay now, the ethanol will degrade them over time.

1992 Outrage 17 I

elmroc
#15 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/08 - 4:19 AM
Personal Page

Phil,

Yes, my hoses are alcohol proof. I know this becuase i put new ones on last year, when i was getting leaking fuel from dry rotted hoses. SO all my fuel lines i changed last boating season.

kamie
#16 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/08 - 4:42 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Phil,
the change over for alcohol resistant was 1986/1987. With that said, I believe that older hoses should be changed, just from a going to wear out, get old and brittle. When I changed the lines on my Outrage, they were the correct type, but not soft and pliable.

Elmroc
Glad it worked out, could have been a lot worse.

Phil T
#17 Print Post
Posted on 08/08/08 - 6:04 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Kamie - Thanks for the correct dates. Always want to get my facts straight .

1992 Outrage 17 I

elmroc
#18 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/08 - 6:48 AM
Personal Page

Well,

I was able to get out Sunday after having the tank and carbs drained and cleaned.
I put 10 gals of fuel that i purchased fresh at a Gas station (not fuel dock) and ran her about 2 and a half hours.

Right from the beginning, she started right up, idled great, ran great, and after the 2-1/2 hours, she didn't even hiccup.

When i got back to the dck, i drained my water seperator, and the contents were as clean as a whistle. BTW, i did add Startron to the fuel when i put it in.

Hope we good for the rest of the season now. A lesson learned, i will only be putting the fuel i need from now on.

egerrity
#19 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/08 - 7:08 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Elmroc
What did that end up costing you? Startron is expensive, but it seems to work good. On the other had I use my boats and don't let the fuel sit to long so I dont know how it would be if let it sit.

Ed
1991 Montauk 17 - 2012 ETEC 90HP

elmroc
#20 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/08 - 5:29 AM
Personal Page

They haven't sent me the bill yet, but i can't seeing it be that bad.
they pupmped out about 17 gallons of old fuel/gunk from my fuel tank.

My marina charges 4.50/gallon to do that.(which includes disposal)
They spent about an hour and a half draining/cleaning carbs.

So what can it cost me?$250/300 tops? Definitly not as bad as a new fuel tank.

Maybe they'll give me a discount for them learning more about the effects/symptoms of ethanol spiked fuel. (doubt it)..lol

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 29, 2024 - 11:15 AM
Users Online
Welcome
cromjue
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,030
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,150,905 unique visits