View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
LOUISIANA RENDEVOUS?
Cajun John
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/08 - 7:31 PM

Comments: 2

Anyone interested in setting up a get-together let me know? If enough people are interested, I'll look into setting something up? With the price of gas these days, don't know how many takers we will have?

By my unofficial count, we got Baton Rouge (1), Metairie (1), Houma (3) and Lafayette (3).

Tharsheblows
cajanwhaler
glean
todd12
Cajun John
moose
richardlatiolais
SVTErik529

Any other Louisianians out there?

Tharsheblows
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/08 - 3:24 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

C J I for one would love to meet. However I am just now ready to install my woodwork and am not sea worthy yet. I may not be ready till the fall. My fishing buddy keeps twisting my arm and making go fish. And now he wants me to show him how to trawl for shrimp. I just finished a fight with D M V over trailer title, 1 and 1/2 years of quest for Information. Ended up regestering in Maine and transfering to Louisiana with penalty cost of course. I finaly succeded just before signing for a new trailer. Have a Whaler for over 2 years and have not touched water with it! But if Rendezvous is not to soon I would love to attend. Bob

moose
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/08 - 1:32 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Looks like we have another member just hitting the roster. Bayouo105 in Venice just sighed up. Welcome aboard.
Mike

SVTErik529
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/08 - 3:23 PM
Personal Page

Hey. Been a while since I been online. Work has been really crazy but its finally starting to slow down. So far I have only taken my boat out in Lake P. once but had some minor issues with it. It's ready for another try though. I think I am taking off Tuesday and will make a quick fishing trip in it after I go vote. It still needs a good bit of work, but as long as it floats and runs good, I'll be using it!! Smile

1531665anthony
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/04/08 - 5:35 AM

Comments: 3

I would. My boats are in Picayune MS.

Paul B
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/04/08 - 12:31 PM
Personal Page

Still putting my 15' Sport back together, but I would be interested later on. I'm located in Moss Point, MS.

suesue
#7 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/09 - 7:52 AM

Do you of someone in the area that build nice poling or casting platforms? I have 13ft sport looking to see if it is possible to put a platform for flyfishing for reds along the bay. Thanks Dan

fireman239
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/29/09 - 3:29 PM

hello everyone, i'm new here and we are moving to New Orleans in July and have a 17' dauntless. Hope I can meet someone who can show me the ropes of south louisiana fishing, I am originally from Arcadia,La (North)

Tharsheblows
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/30/09 - 5:36 AM
Personal Page

Welcome Fireman239 both to WhalerCentral and to South Louisiana. I am also a transplant allthough many years ago. I have relatives in Minden and have deer hunted with them in the Gibsland, Arcadia area. The whitetails I rember to be almost as big as A small horse while here the swamp deer are like big dogs. Anyway the fishing is why I like this area so much the variety and abundance is great! And you are now surrounded by many great areas like a kid in a candy store. To start you off get a quality GPS the inland marsh can be like a house of mirrors. And get a tide chart the movement of water is important to predatory fish. My prefence is highest tide movement around new moon allthough I will go anytime I can. Also be aware of the path of hurricane Katrina and the debri path from the city, there could still be underwater obstructions. I have been on about a 20 year hiatus from fishing on my personal boat so am still relearning my areas. In a way after the storms everybody had to relearn. But I would be happy to help you get strated. Bob

moose
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/30/09 - 6:14 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Welcome fireman,
Fishing you will have! Lake P is a great place to catch nice BIG specks and reds but a limit is hard to get and the bite is not like any other place. To learn a bit about how it works I recommend getting a guide for your first trip to the lake so you can learn how it's done there. Then douth to the marsh is an abundant resource. So many places, so little time. The fish are everywhere once you know how to find them. That's what they tell me LOL. I fish mostly the central part and western part of the state. You have the perfect boat to fish them all!
Mike

fireman239
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/09 - 6:50 AM

Yea, I have heard that there is a big diffrence in deer from North La to South La...I heard that there is a diffrence in the tast also, compared to eating a channel cat to a mud cat...Can you recommend a GPS, I am looking at a handheld, it would be more useable, if I go fishing with someone else..I have found some waypoints online (artificial reefs, ect) anybody got any advice? Cant wait to get down there and get started..

Tharsheblows
#12 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/09 - 3:18 PM
Personal Page

Fireman
Due to the small size of my boat I use a handheld with a mount. The first one I bought was a Magellen 320 and it works just fine does not have any maps but I just followed the bread crumb trail on screen back. I still have it on board and use it now as a spedometer. I now use a Garmin GPSMAP 76 which is also a handheld and on a mount.
Which area are you in NOLA if you are west you might look at going towards Leeville or down to Grand Isle If you are east you might look at Delacroix or Point A La Hache or on to Lake Pounchatrain. It is true some trophy trout have come out of Lake P but I find that the fish are not as easy to find. Most of what I see caught is around the train trestles
Hwy 11 bridge and I-10 bridge, all leave from New Orleans east accross the lake toward Slidell. I have a friend in the Slidell area that I have fished with, not in that area though and noticed he fished with a lot of finese. He has promised me to go with me and teach me the ropes of fishing that area. There is a good map service called Standard Mapping Standardmap.com which I purchase my maps from. There maps have just been updated to Post Katrina status. Before I leave I will tell you about the biggest fish I have caught in Lake P, A 14 ft. Sturgeon North West Ouadrant of lake. Caught in a 16 ft shrimp trawl. stopped the boat movement 3 times each time we thought we were hung up and might loose the trawl but would start moving again. Quite a chore to get him out safely but watched him swim off, although tired. Did not hear any reports of A sturgeon washing up so I guess he's still out there. Bob

nvaccaro
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/09 - 7:05 PM
Personal Page

Fireman

Glad to see we have another Louisiana member. I was on a fishing trip this weekend and just checked the site for the first time in afew days.

I live in the Covington area about 30 miles north of New Orleans. I might be able to help show you the ropes. Let me know when your interested.

Nick

fireman239
#14 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/09 - 7:01 PM

awesome, actually, my dad and I decided to make a quick learner trip this weekend and we are in slidell today. We fished lake catherine today and caught two nice reds, 2 flounder, and 1 nice trout. Hope to do as well and even better tommorow. We are moving next month, so will be doing a lot more fishing soon...

fireman239
#15 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 6:50 PM

well, back home from our first south louisiana outing, fished lake catherine again, and lake beorn. ( i think thats what its called) we caught 6 trout, one big one, and thats all. We also caught 2 croakers. Can you keep croakers, what about eat em? I dont think we did bad for two guys who didnt have a clue where to go, how to fish, what to do. cant wait to get back next month......

nvaccaro
#16 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 6:55 PM
Personal Page

Fireman:

Sounds like a good day of fishing. I wouldn't eat the croakers.

Let me know when you come back. Maybe you and your dad and my son and myself can make a trip out. I've got the coordinates for some manmade reefs in Lake Ponchartrain.

I haven't tried them yet, but the fishing is suppose to be good.

Nick

Tharsheblows
#17 Print Post
Posted on 06/07/09 - 8:49 PM
Personal Page

Hey sounds great Fireman
Where did you launch Fort Pike by any chance? Sounds like we have enough Whalers in the area for a Lake Pounchtrain rendezvous. I have no problem eating Atlantic Croaker as long as the flesh looks solid when fileted although they are a bottom feeder. But so is a black drum (cousin to the red fish) and that is the one I won,t eat. The redfish is also considerd a bottom feeder but more aggressive and more likely to feed at any level that food can be found. Go to this web site to get local fishing news, tide charts and a nice fish ID section which list table fare or not . The site is rodnreel.com If we see a Whaler out on lake P. lets wave to it we just might be waving to each other. BTW Nick take a look at personal pages, look for 1970 Eastport in Louisiana that will be mine. Tight lines, Bob

fireman239
#18 Print Post
Posted on 06/09/09 - 8:04 AM

Yea, I cannot wait to get down there permanetly. It is kinda hard fishing 2 days straight and driving home 6 hours the second night..still havent recovered, but we had a blast. It wont be long and we will be back. I also have some coordinates, i got them off of saveourlake.com, about 5 or 6 of them. I do have a question, I am going to post it in the bigger forum for more response, My boat, dauntless 17 footer, is more like a ski boat and has the big stainless rail all around the bow, is there a special mounting bracket or anything to get a trolling motor on the front? Well, hope everyone is doing good and talk to yall later.

SVTErik529
#19 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/09 - 8:21 AM
Personal Page

I've been going out to Empire catching limits of trout less than 10 minutes from the launch in both me and my uncles 17' montauks.

thunderpaste
#20 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/09 - 9:34 AM

I am in New Orleans with my 17' Montauk. Just finished a complete restoration and looking to hit the water in 2 weeks. Count me in.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 12:34 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.29 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,506,947 unique visits