View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Kicker for a 25
Little Tunny
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/08 - 9:41 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Will a 9.9 high thrust be big enough to use as an emergency kicker for my Outrage 25? From the research I've done, I think I can reach max hullspeed of around 6kts on calm water. But, what happens when I'm 30 miles out facing a 2-3' choppy head sea? Can I make any kind of headway?

This engine is going to remain protable, so weight is a big concern.

Binkie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/08/08 - 7:41 PM
Personal Page

I would go with a 15hp kicker motor. Not much bigger or heavier, but you will be able to make headway, and it will be a good trolling motor also.

rich

ganderslammer24
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/08 - 7:41 PM

i just purchased a 9.9 bigfoot pro kicker for my 190 Montauk, and actually will be picking it up next weekend to use for the first time. I, like you, want the motor for safety (to get me moving if the big motor has a problem) first and foremost, but secondly, for trolling for salmon on Lake Michigan. I can let you know how it works out. Even though your boat is much bigger, it's still the same concept, remembering your not using your kicker to get you on plane but really for nothing more but to keep you moving towards home until help arrives.

On a seperate note about this topic, I found it rather odd how my Whaler dealer had no idea what I was talking about when it came to a kicker motor. Not only did they not know how to install it, they didn't even have any suggestions. Being born and raised fishing on Lake Michigan, I know the importance of having a back up motor. But again, with technology advancing like it has, it's ideal to have for safety and better trolling speed control. I had to call down to Florida and get the diagrams for the 190 MT so that I could figure out where I wanted to mount the actual kicker bracket. Of course when I called to the factory, they said you could mount the kicker bracket in back and that there was plenty of wood in the transom for support on the opposite side of my swim platform (wish the dealer would have known that!!) I guess amongst my ramblings, what I was trying to get at is are you going to need to mount a seperate bracket, or does your transom have enough room to actually mount it right next to the big motor? On my dad's 170 Montauk, he has his kicker mounted on the transom without a bracket, but his boat is a little older and was back when the transom is not as thick as it is now. On today's 170 MT, you'd need a kicker bracket as well. What's your plans if you don't mind me asking?

TexasOutrage
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/08 - 12:18 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I saw an 8hp Yamaha kicker on a 28' GradyWhite Sailfish. I am sure it worked fine for trolling. The return from 30 miles out in rough seas might be slow.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 10:10 PM
Users Online
Welcome
jshllen1980
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,059
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,294,729 unique visits