View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Power tilt '04 Johnson 50 hp
MW
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/29/08 - 11:08 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Does the fluid on the "Power tilt" need to be changed out at all ? Any other maint. tips, This is the first "Power tilt" engine that I've ever owned. The engine only came with "Power tilt", an option that I did'nt want (I'm not exactly crazy about the idea of an electric "tilt/trim" motor sitting in salt water for maint.)
Thank's !
mw

sraab928
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/01/08 - 4:19 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Does it need to be changed? I really don't know. I can tell you I have never changed any of mine... but maybe thats my bad. Not sure.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

Derwd24
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/01/08 - 9:58 AM

Comments: 9

Logically your concern makes sense given the proximity to the salt water of these units. But I offer the case of my old engine as a testament to their durability.

Previous owner moored the boat in salt water for his 8+ years of ownership and was the epitome of poor maintenance. When I got the boat last spring, noticed that the seal between the hydraulic cylinder and the ram that pushes the engine up was shot (stayed at the top of the ram rod instead of being pressed in the cylinder housing) and had most likely been that way for some time. Unit still operated fine, and I can assure you that he never changed the fluid, but I thought it best to replace the seal.

After a serious liquid wrench soaking and some significant impacts trying to get the unit free from the motor, it became clear I was entering into the grey area of possibly causing another issue in just trying to get it free. It was welded in place from many years of salt water corosion, so I decided to leave it as is, still working. Never had an issue with it, and it even outlasted the power head.

So I think as long as you give it the same level of attention you give the rest of your boat in terms of keeping it clean, you'll be fine... And as a bonus your back will thank you for it! Plus, you've got to love now being able to tilt the motor up slowly and remotely as you come into shore, no?

fish
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/01/08 - 12:06 PM

Comments: 1

it does not need to be changed. Add some if it gets low, periodically check for intrusion- it will look sort of milky where water has gotten in. Short of having some sort of leak like a seal going bad, it is a self contained system and should not need much more than a periodic look-see.

fish

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 10:19 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kenny Hulbert
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,105
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,521,242 unique visits