View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
wiring mess
duf
#41 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/08 - 5:33 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Comments: 9

Ok, here is the evenings work, a ways to go!

Alrighty, talked to Joe and got this one up, its the parts off of both my boat, hydro's, steering wheels, engine harnesses, etc. Lets see if i can do the one of the electical i finished up with tonight.

Duf

duf attached the following image:

[74.97Kb]
Edited by duf on 03/05/08 - 5:09 PM

duf
#42 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/08 - 5:13 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Can't beleive its this difficult to post (no slam here Joe, i told you i'm not computer literate beyond e-mail" Smile but still trying to get latest photo's up.

Just made latest update with the wiring i pulled back to the motor. Thanks again Joe, it worked like a charm!! Grin

Duf Cool

[92.54Kb]
Edited by duf on 03/05/08 - 5:17 PM

danedg
#43 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/08 - 6:18 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

ShockDuf!
There's a mango root growing off the back of your boat!
Is all that stuff comin' from your motor?
What on Earth...?
You're gonna need a bigger boat!

duf
#44 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/08 - 4:26 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

LOL danedg, and that pile didn't even include the throttle and shifter cables and another set of battery cables that ran to a stern perko switch which in turn ran to an outlite. So that pile is not even including 4 major lines. So, this is now two boats i have removed all the lines from and now consider myself a cub scout with a couple of badges under my belt. Grin Today will begin to re-install the ETEC stuff as i ended up working on removing and tidying up yesterday evening instead of installing.

More to come!

Duf Cool

Grady95
#45 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/08 - 7:20 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hey Duf,
Just curious. Are you going to fish this boondogle thru the rigging tube one wire at a time or will you wiretie the bundle and try to pull it all at once? I'm right behind you buddy. Mine will be done in the next two weeks.
Grady

duf
#46 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/08 - 1:29 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Grady, this pile is not being run through this boat, but will (hopefully) be removed sometime this coming week enmass, and my ETEC installed. The wiring i will be running unfortunately tomorrow night as it is raining and lightning outside as we speak, will be my just removed ETEC stuff.

To answer your question, I plan on running the engine wiring harness through first as it has the most to hang up, then the shifter and throttle cables together, then the hot wire, as the ground is already run. Then i'll run my hydro lines as they have the least of all to hang up on. None of it of course will i attach together except for just in the ends in case i ever need to pull one line or the other out. The other lines for my airator, pump and GPS fish finder etc are already in.

Where the fun will come in is when i install the Yamaha on Raggedy and reinstall that mess. Lots more stuff with a older motor. But i'll bet you when its done, it will look a ton better then that mess photo that started this whole thread off!! Grin

I'll update with a photo when the job is done.

Duf Cool

danedg
#47 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/08 - 6:24 PM
Personal Page

Ah HAH!....
I missed the part about the new Etec!......
I had no idea WHY you were pulling ALL the guts of that boat out....
I thought you were just rewiring the console!....
...I can now see...said the blind man......
Take a bunch of pictures of the whole process.....
...be there when the new baby is delivered.....take pictures...your wife won't mind this time....
I'll help ya get 'em into a project folder or something...
...after 3 years I'm startin' to figure out how Joe and the Boyz want things packaged...they're kinda particular......Pfft

duf
#48 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/08 - 4:40 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Yeah, i know they like to keep the photo's down on the threads. I spoke with Joe the other day when i was struggling to get the pits on, got it now, but i also mentioned to him that i would give him a shout and figure out the photo combining thing on the personnal page to put the majority of my photo's. Windy and a tad cold today, gonna be struggling working outside this afternoon with the high at 64 degrees. Grin

Duf Cool,

danedg
#49 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/08 - 2:52 PM
Personal Page

Duf,
That little thunderstorm you mentioned the other day?...
....just danced into Poughkeepsie, NY...wearin' nothing but a big, fat, wet, Chorpus Christi kiss!.....
We're lookin' at 2" of rain...it's 37 degrees...could be ice.....
Looks like the Buffalo/Rochester boyz got their snowblowers out....
Get the Etec?....Grin

duf
#50 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/08 - 7:16 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

no, fraid not. Worked on her till way after dark using a flash light and didn't finish up. Had issues pulling the wiring through, that is a challenge by itself, as the lines tend to wrap themselves around the other cables. I'm not sure that pulling everything back and running the complete harness through is not the way to go. Got them in regardless, and the steering wheel was tight getting through, not sure if i have hydro in correctly, as didn't mark right and left, ignition switch is totally different so need to make a plate, and have a whole bunch of electrical to still hook up. So decided instead of dropping off the boat with a ton of work still remaining, to keep it through monday and work on it sunday. That way when i drop it off monday afternoon, will have that much more done, and that much less to do at $70 bucks an hour. More to come, but regardless is a labor of love!!

Duf Cool

Edited by duf on 03/08/08 - 7:18 AM

Doug V
#51 Print Post
Posted on 03/09/08 - 11:04 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

duf,

It looks like you have been busy.

I know what you mean about the labor of love. It's all fun stuff when working on the boat (OK, sometimes the yoga moves trying to work inside the console are a little less than fun).

Doug

duf
#52 Print Post
Posted on 03/09/08 - 5:12 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

10-4 on that. Just finished up for the evening and am pooped. Buddy of mine came over 0800 early and we worked on her together tracing, rewiring, splicing, new hoses, new fuel water separater till 1 until he had to go to a daughters ball game, so i carried on myself. Everything is in, batteries are charging and she's good to go to where the ETEC awaits which i will do tomorrow afternoon. Fuel tank is empty ( i drained everything as it had been sitting for 3 years), Installed a new stainless steel filter assy and have a fresh rewplacement filter i will install after my first couple of runs. Its been an experience and still have a long ways to go, as i want to put enviremental splices in. Any suggestions on the best to use please pipe up, and also need to know best recommendations for what to use to seal between the deck plates and what the best fuel water filter is for our outrages. Just curious, why do we seal the deckplates to the right and left of the consoles that are part of the trough??? Its all a seal trough assembly and the water isn't getting into our sealed foam areas. Just curious!

Duf Cool

Doug V
#53 Print Post
Posted on 03/09/08 - 6:14 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

duf,

I'm not sure what you mean by "environmental splices", but I think you mean wire splices?

If that is the case, use the Ancor brand, adhesive lined heat shrink butt splices, especially if they may get wet. You could probably get by with standard heat shrink in the console, but the adhesive lined are the cats meow for anything that may get wet.

Doug

duf
#54 Print Post
Posted on 03/10/08 - 3:55 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Doug, here is a photo of an enviremental splices that are used on Military Acft and i'm sure on other Military applications as well. I had to get a lesson today from one of the Supervisors at work, but basically you put the sleeve on first, then with a special crimping tool, you crimp the wires in the metal portion, move the sleeve back over the connection and the heat shrink.

In other news, i did get the new boat to my Marine place today, so will be awaiting a phone call hopefully in the next week or so, to come pick up my boat!!!!!!!!! VERY shortly thereafter will be the maiden voyage and i cannot wait!!!
Please do not ask me to go look at any more boats as i obviously have Whalerites, which is a compulsive disorder where you cannot resist buying a nicer whaler should you come across one. Pfft

Duf Cool

[77.83Kb]
Edited by duf on 03/10/08 - 4:00 PM

Jim Reardon
#55 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/09 - 7:12 PM

Comments: 0

All the talk is interesting about wire colors. I just put the battery back in and there appears to be no power to the trim and ignition. I was thinking maybe I somehow hooked a wire to the battery incorrectly. There are two reds and a green taped together - when I traced back the green it was indeed red 2 feet back. It does lead you to second guess though.

Jim R

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 4, 2024 - 2:16 AM
Users Online
Welcome
kaiamiller105
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,045
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,249,215 unique visits