View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
wiring mess
bigfish114
#21 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/08 - 8:19 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Hey CBO,

Wanna trade consoles, they'd just bolt on bolt off. Mine looks exactly like your before picture. I really like the box with the connectors, and the auto style fuses. Great work.

mattgeiger
#22 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/08 - 8:33 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Wow - looking at that pic I feel a lot better about my newly acquired mess. I don't mind doing new wiring, but cleaning up 22 years worth of someone else's "work" as well as the "work" that a field mouse had done just flat out stinks (along with the mouse poo).

Pic here: http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...er_id=3617

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

Joe Kriz
#23 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/08 - 11:40 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Hey duf,

Send me a plane ticket and I will come down and help you rewire your boats........

Or anyone for that matter........

Will work for plane ticket....................... Cool

Doug V
#24 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/08 - 6:43 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Matt,

Your console wiring looks really clean compared to mine when I got her home. I have not rewired yet, but did a lot of clean up/organizing under there (just the memory makes my body ache).

One day a repower will be in order. When that happens- look out, all new wiring will be part of the project.

Doug

danedg
#25 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/08 - 7:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

duf
"Grin & Bear It" had five "layers" of wiring buried under the fantastically complicated harness provided by Suzuki....
Color coded wires go to audio, instrumentation, accessory stuff...
I ripped out all the rotten "whaler" wiring...
Ran a new "hot", (black) and "ground", (white) "buss" through hull to console terminal "fuse"block.
From there, it was easy to decipher which bells and whistles needed 12VDC...and which needed GRD. They all do...put 'em on fuses.
The motor harness seems universal...it'll fit anything up to 30'...leaving me an extra 13' of unused wiring wadded up under the console...oh well...
But when I'm installing or servicing...I just look for black and white.
That's what CBO did, and everything runs to that stout fuse block...keeping it as simple as possible.

Derwd24
#26 Print Post
Posted on 02/26/08 - 7:21 AM

Comments: 9

Dan,

Can you explain how your ground (white) wire was run? I'd read before that it's not supposed to be tied into the ground for the gas tank and am curious how yours was connected? Thanks,

Dave

Grady95
#27 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/08 - 5:39 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Duf,

I like CBO's idea of laying the job out on paper first to help you "own the concept" so to speak. That is just what I have done in several boats and classic car restorations. It really helps to visualize something like this. That was a good suggestion. In my humble opinion, I suggest you do not look at any more intimidating photos! Rather, let your brain "see" your schematic and then just build it. Decide on paper what method of coding you want to use.
Good Luck my friend,
Grady

Texas Captain
#28 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/08 - 6:48 PM

Comments: 0

Putting it on paper is the best way. I have rewired boats up to 48' completley after they sunk. We stripped all the wire out of the entire vessel and started from scratch. I would take poster board and all the different colored pencils I could find and layed out all the wiring. starting with simple fuse blocks as big as you needed and go from there. when you lay it out one circuit at a time it becomes very simple. You just have to size the wire and circuit breakers for the equipment.

Kinda fun I think. I wish I had been doing it my entire life, has been a real full filling experience. I know I could go out in my retirement and get all the work I want right in my neighborhood of a couple thousand in the water boats.

http://www.clearlakeshores-tx.gov/

danedg
#29 Print Post
Posted on 02/27/08 - 7:21 PM
Personal Page

An antique boat with a single battery and 2 plastic tanks depends on the motor "ground", as an electrical "drain" (ground)....
the only connection on the fuel reservoir is the fuel line...and that leaves me with 24 gallons of explosive gasoline nestled between my legs...comforting....!
I'm just making sure there's a heavy,( 10Ga.) hot and Ground coming off the battery to the console to a breaker panel, that I can then send out to the various dependents...audio, instruments, lighting.....and shut 'em down when at rest....
The automatic bilge gets tied direct...
There's not much else to it in my old bathtub...

duf
#30 Print Post
Posted on 02/29/08 - 4:08 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Again, all good stuff here folks. Looks like i don't have the market cornered on horror stories with regards to hosed up wiring and electical systems. Joe, if i had recieved your e-mail before i started i would have had to seriously consider flying you in! But now that i have cleaned her out myself, i'm good to go and better for it as i have traced down every wire, and have eliminated all but two wires as i have two sumps side by side, and i need to fire them up and see which one works and why in Gods name he didn't pull the one that didn't!! The good news is, should i be out on the water and have electrical issues, i have a mental visual of where all the wiring goes, and will be able to trouble shoot myself! I'll send pictures with the re-installation as i progress. In the meantime, tuesday i'm pulling the new boats "Yahama stuff" and Weds plan on re-installing all the "ETEC stuff". If all works out the new boat will be at my boat place by week saturday and having the ETEC re-installed. Its actually not all that difficult, and if your even a "fair" mechanic and take your time, its not that big a deal and i am dying to get back on the water. Will be in the high 70's all week with a nudge in the 80's here and there! Grin Photo's to follow of course just so you can actually see me working!!

Duf Cool

danedg
#31 Print Post
Posted on 02/29/08 - 5:10 PM
Personal Page

It was 4 degrees this morning......
and it's snowing again......3 to 6".......
I feel your pain....75 degrees.......

duf
#32 Print Post
Posted on 02/29/08 - 5:50 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

frankly, one of the best personnal pages i've ever read. I hope one day i have an opportunity to come by and have a ride on your whaler.

Sincerely

Duf Cool

Edited by duf on 02/29/08 - 5:52 PM

Doug V
#33 Print Post
Posted on 02/29/08 - 5:51 PM
Personal Page

Way to go duf! I look forward to seeing pictures of the new boat/motor combo on the water.

We're fishing a salmon derby tomorrow. Winds were blowing 20 to 25 today as I was tying the boat up at the overnight moorage. It's probably going to be in the forties tomorrow. Winds are forecast for 10-20, diminishing. Sunday looks nice though, winds to 10.

Here's hoping the "diminishing" is earlier than later.

Doug

duf
#34 Print Post
Posted on 02/29/08 - 5:56 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

Doug, there is absolutely no doubt i will work a trip up to see you and go fishing. As you know i have a brother in Tacoma that i need to go see, but will work with you for a day of fishing on the side. I'm 2.5 years from retirement and getting itchy!! More later but we're on dood!!

Duf Cool

Doug V
#35 Print Post
Posted on 02/29/08 - 8:55 PM
Personal Page

2 and 1/2 years to go. That sounds great. I've got a few more years than that, but lookin' forward to that time myself.

Doug

danedg
#36 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/08 - 2:28 PM
Personal Page

Hey Duf,
Congrats on the rewire....it looks like s#*t when you start...
and not too shabby after you chop out all the old stuff.....
Now you know what's goin' on down there....
Your'e welcome aboard my boat anytime you feel a hankerin' to visit NY....
One of my nieces' is from your area....never went Whalerin' on the Gulf....Pfft

duf
#37 Print Post
Posted on 03/02/08 - 4:57 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

danedg wrote:
Hey Duf,
Congrats on the rewire....it looks like s#*t when you start...
and not too shabby after you chop out all the old stuff.....
Now you know what's goin' on down there....
Your'e welcome aboard my boat anytime you feel a hankerin' to visit NY....
One of my nieces' is from your area....never went Whalerin' on the Gulf....Pfft

danedg, my family lives in Conn (a brother, Mom and Sis, and have another brother out in Tacoma. Just like with Doug, and Jim in Conn, would love to hook up for a power outing and just a get together cruise along. Let your niece know she is more then welcome to hop on my whaler for some Golf cruising/fishing, anytime! Maybe during the Texas Gulf Coast get-together would be a good time!

Duf Cool

danedg
#38 Print Post
Posted on 03/03/08 - 6:20 PM
Personal Page

Well...
Laura's a little busy right now....just brought forth her third son... in five years....
my 9th great nephew/niece...
making 3 new men to join our clan this year overall...Colby, Tyler & Brady...
They are the cutest babies ever to be born yet!.......
And one of those guys is probably gonna inheret Greeat Grampa Bob's Boston Whaler some day....
I hope I get to give 'em their first ride!
Here's # 3...Aiden...we had to tie a leash on him...but he's 10 now.....

danedg attached the following image:

[37.7Kb]
Edited by danedg on 03/03/08 - 6:22 PM

Phil T
#39 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/08 - 9:09 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Duf -

Any pictures of your handy work (hint, hint)?

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

duf
#40 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/08 - 10:37 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums

danedg, dang your are putting your own Navy together!

CBO At work now, but will post something later this evening or tomorrow as tonight pulling all the Yamaha stuff out and will start re-installing all the ETEC "stuff" Plan is to be done tomorrow!! then on to the dealer to re-install the ETEC. Grin

Duf Cool

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 4, 2024 - 12:31 PM
Users Online
Welcome
corkybennett1
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,048
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.32 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,255,819 unique visits