View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Outrage 21' 1972 Rib Side
jimgreenville
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/24 - 5:36 PM

Comments: 0

I am close to completing a restoration of my rib side. There is some hardware that needs to be replaced that I need help finding.

Railing - there is a 3 screw fitting where the railing passes through the gunnel that holds the railing. I would love to replace those six parts - does anyone know where to find them.

Also, what are the original paint colors/color of the 1972 Outrage.

Thanks, Jim

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/20/24 - 11:13 PM

Comments: 16

I own a ribside. The eight triangular rail fittings for the top casting are no longer available, and almost impossible to find used. You will have to have the original ones from your boat re-chromed. Expect to pay about $50 each for the work. All other rail fittings should be replaced with an equivalent SS fitting using the newer set screw fastening.

To get some of the old fittings off, you will have to cut the rail at the center of the tee fitting and sleeve it with glued-in (Gorilla glue) 3/4" tubing about 12" long. With the new fittings in place, the splice cut will not show.

The hull color is the original "Outrage Gray". Boston Whaler, and the gelcoat manufacturers no longer have the correct color code (in spite of what they may tell you, don't buy it) and it now has to be custom mixed. It is fairly easy to do.

1. buy some empty qt or pint cans, so you can mix up a decent quantity and keep for future use.
2. From Advanced Coating Co in MA, buy a qt of their "desert tan" gelcoat with wax added.
3. Buy a qt of generic white gelcoat with wax added, from Jamestown Distributors (or some other supplier)
4. Start with the white, and gradually add desert tan to it until you get a correct match. No other color pigments will be needed. The ratio will be somewhere in the vicinity of 50/50.

With an old boat, you first have to wet sand and buff out an area on the hull to obtain the original color for matching. You may have to wet sand the entire hull, as I did, to bring it back to the original factory gloss color.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 1, 2024 - 6:33 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Bcoleman184
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,038
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,206,647 unique visits