View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Mounting Bolt Compression of Transom
JacksOutrage
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/31/23 - 9:48 AM

Comments: 0

1998 Outrage 23 Evinrude 225

Recently acquired boat and after transporting ~300 miles noticed that one of the mounting bolts had compressed into the transom. Prior to trailering, the boat had gel coat cracks, but I didn't notice the compression.

I can't insert a photo but imagine the washer compressing into transom and the motor now being ~1/16" off transom. Other bolt looks fine and motor is firmly against transom.

Q1: Research says everyone goes to waterlog, but I'd like to hear thoughts on replacing washers with the transom saver (metal plate) before going to worst case scenario.

Q2: I didn't use transom saver (for trailering), the original owner said that it had been trailered in the locked position several times with no issues. I should have done more research. I still need to trailer it another 400 miles to final destination but am not sure what I can/should do beyond purchasing a transom saver prior to trailering. I could tighten bolt, try to replace that washer with bigger plate, etc. I don't have a lift and my boat guy is in SC.

thoughts appreciated. I'm new to BW and this forum so apologies in advance if I'm breaking any rules.
thanks, jack

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/01/24 - 8:56 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Welcome Jack.

Recessed transom washers are a sign the nuts were overtightened. This is a frequent and common item. No need for concern.

Answer 1- The item to look for is excess sealant around the washer on the inside of the transom and between the engine mounting bracket on the outside of the transom. if excess sealant is found, it is indicative of proper sealant. if there is no sealant, you could remove on bolt at a time, add sealant in both locations and reassemble. Note - see item below on engine height.

Answer 2: Only BPR (Evinrude) included a bracket that was designed for trailering. All other brands have a bracket that allows the engine to be locked in the fully tilted up positon to allow it to be serviced.

While there are dozens of "transom savers" that connect the engine to the trailer, most recommend products that support the engine to the transom. See these products:
https://m-ywedge.com/
https://www.simyamaha.com/accessories...-supports/
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/t-h-m...r-support/

I trailered two of my boats for over 10 years, thousands of miles without an issue. My current boat, trailered, I use a modified 2"x4" with rope ends tied to the transom lifting rings. Last year I did Whaler Gatherings in MI, NC and VA without issue.

* Engine Height - If your engine is mounted with one empty hole above the top set of engine bolts, consider raising the motor 1 additional hole. This will give you better performance. Not a day 1 item, more of an off season thing.

Edited by Phil T on 01/01/24 - 9:00 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

JacksOutrage
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/24 - 3:17 PM

Phil T wrote:
Welcome Jack.

Recessed transom washers are a sign the nuts were overtightened. This is a frequent and common item. No need for concern.

Answer 1- The item to look for is excess sealant around the washer on the inside of the transom and between the engine mounting bracket on the outside of the transom. if excess sealant is found, it is indicative of proper sealant. if there is no sealant, you could remove on bolt at a time, add sealant in both locations and reassemble. Note - see item below on engine height.

Answer 2: Only BPR (Evinrude) included a bracket that was designed for trailering. All other brands have a bracket that allows the engine to be locked in the fully tilted up positon to allow it to be serviced.

While there are dozens of "transom savers" that connect the engine to the trailer, most recommend products that support the engine to the transom. See these products:
https://m-ywedge.com/
https://www.simyamaha.com/accessories...-supports/
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/t-h-m...r-support/

I trailered two of my boats for over 10 years, thousands of miles without an issue. My current boat, trailered, I use a modified 2"x4" with rope ends tied to the transom lifting rings. Last year I did Whaler Gatherings in MI, NC and VA without issue.

* Engine Height - If your engine is mounted with one empty hole above the top set of engine bolts, consider raising the motor 1 additional hole. This will give you better performance. Not a day 1 item, more of an off season thing.

Thanks for the detailed response, Phil. I will do as you suggested for the mounting bolts. Can you clarify your second response, you share that Evinrude has a built-in trailering mechanism and then share transom saver recommendations. Are you suggesting a belt and suspenders approach?

thanks again,
jack

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/03/24 - 4:40 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

You place the 2x4 on edge under the engine and tilt down till it makes contact. I made notches to help placement.

The string is a precaution if the block slips for some reason. Don't want another vehicle getting a 2x4 in the face.

Here is a photo - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Cb2KtrnmMSd...mMSdkz3Ce7

I don't like trailering using the bracket. The engine is tilted too high for my liking so I use the block.

Edited by Phil T on 01/03/24 - 4:41 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I

JacksOutrage
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/07/24 - 2:34 PM

Thank you for the description and pic. I'm assuming that if Evinrude has a trailering bracket that I should use that vs. the 2x. LMK if you disagree. cheers.

Phil T
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/08/24 - 4:36 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

If an Evinrude, use the trailer bracket.

1992 Outrage 17 I

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 30, 2024 - 10:41 AM
Users Online
Welcome
MillenniumMan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,036
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,178,538 unique visits