View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Mounting bolt size for 1987 Super Sport 13'
zigzagwc
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/13/23 - 4:30 PM

Comments: 0

I will be mounting a 2 stroke Yamaha 40hp outboard to my new to me (not picked up yet) 1987 13' whaler. i'd like to get the mounting bolts on order ASAP so that I can mount the engine when the boat arrives.

Two questions:

1) can anyone tell me the length of the bolts I require? Motor has tilt/trim if that makes a difference.

2) Are the Yamaha OEM bolts made from some sort of zinc dacromet or are they stainless?

Thanks

(EDIT: Please follow guideline #1 at the top of this page and use the FULL 4 digit year of 1987)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 11/13/23 - 5:27 PM

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/14/23 - 4:59 PM

Comments: 16

First of all, on most Classic whaler transoms, a 4" hex head bolt is the length you want to use, 1/2" diameter. Stainless steel is mandatory.

If you really want to mount engine according to B.I.A. standards, here are the parts needed. This is the same system and parts that Mercury has been supplying with new engines for 40 years.

1. the four bolts mentioned above, in FINE thread.

2. four 12MM METRIC SS washers which go against the engine side. These are same hole size as regular 1/2 " washers, but smaller outside diameter to fit the engine bracket. You can get them here:

https://www.zieglerbolt.com/flat-wash...558;21!114

3. Four extra thick regular 1/2" washers for the boat side of the installation. West Marine, or online source has these. You can get them here:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Det...duct=15890

4. four BRASS locknuts in fine thread. Brass locknuts are used because they will not gall (seize up) on 1/2" size bolts as a Stainless locknut can do. You can get them here:

https://www.zieglerbolt.com/12-20-nyl...ine-thrd-2

The installation procedure requires the top bolts to go in from the inside, and the bottom bolts from the outside. If anybody tells you anything else, they don't know what they are talking about! This is so the transom can be properly caulked, to avoid later rot-out, a common problem usually caused by improper engine installation caulking. If you look at any Boston Whaler with a factory installed engine, you will see that this is how they do it.

Use clear "LifeCaulk" brand sealant, which is much better than regular silicone. NEVER use the 3M 4200 and 5200 adhesive product!

With the engine on the hoist, at approximately the right height (mount engine in second set of holes from top), and back a few inches from the transom, slide large washer onto bolt, put a circle of caulking around bolt at back side of washer, and slide bolt all the way through the transom. Where it comes out on the outside, put another circle of caulking around bolt-boat junction. Don't get caulking on the threads. These bolts will need to be held in place as the engine is moved into position and the small washer and nut are installed. Two people recommend for this work.

Also before moving the engine into position, the lower bolts, with small washer installed against bolt head, are then pushed all the way through the engine bracket, and while held in place, caulking is applied to the bolt shank for about an inch. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, as this becomes the sealant preventing water into the hull, particularly if the bottom hole is a SLOT. As the engine is moved up tight to the transom, only the excess will be forced out of hole and form a seal. The bolt now sits in a caulking surround making a tight seal, yet no caulking gets onto the bolt threads. Then a ring of caulking can be applied around the bolt on the inside, and the large washer pressed into it along with the locknut.

If done right, this will give you a net, clean installation, with all four holes being totally watertight.

zigzagwc
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/14/23 - 8:07 PM

Comments: 0

Thank you for a complete, easy to understand set of instructions on how to do this properly.

Sounds like you've done this before, LOL.

I especially appreciate the tips on how to get the caulking right and where to get all the parts.

This information should be posted as a "sticky note" somewhere on the WC forums for others to follow.

Much appreciated!!!!!

Jim

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/20/23 - 2:36 PM

Comments: 16

Jim - thanks for your reply. Hope your installation of the engine goes well.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 1, 2024 - 11:48 PM
Users Online
Welcome
BradyDahms
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,040
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,210,759 unique visits