View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Loading At Ramp
wldrns1
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/24/23 - 5:36 AM

Comments: 0

2008 150 Sport. Looking for comments on various types of devices to keep boat position on bunk trailer after power loading. I only power load at launches designed for it.
Currently have to keep engine in forward about 2k rpms to prevent hull sliding back on bunks once bow is against trailer mast roller. Have to leave helm, attach winch hook to bow eye, secure winch. Then I can shut down. Of course, would rather load and be able to pull out to lot in a safer, quicker, yet secure way.
I see a simple device that mounts to bunk called Boat Load Mate. Seems simple enough and only need one. Other devises are bow mounted and actually latch. The latch type seems overkill.
Anyone using the Boat Load Mate or other simple device?
Comments or suggestions are appreciated! Thank You.

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/24/23 - 7:16 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I have trailered all three of my Whalers for 20 years. I have launched on the ocean, lakes and tidal rivers (5kt cross current) and 25 different ramps.

To make loading less of a hassle I install trailer guides. My current trailer has 40" pvc guides. These make landing easy and keep the boat centered. Note- Install the guides so they are 1" away from the gunnel.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/ce-sm...uides.html

Are you trying to avoid ANY winching?

I leave a few inches of my tires exposed and the boat lands on the top 1-3" of the bunks. The boat will not move while I go forward and reach over and hook the strap to the eye. When I step out and walk up to the bow, I only have to crank the winch 2-3 turns, then drive away.

The key is to find the sweet spot for dipping the trailer where it is in far enough but not too far. If your boat is floating free, your trailer is too deep.

Many owners mark the forward wall of the drivers side wheel fender with red, black or white duct tape to indicate where the water level should be. This way you back in, look in your side mirror to watch the tape. When the water reaches the tape, stop. Easy piezy.

I don't like the bow latches as they are unnecessary and people rely on them to keep the bow secure, foregoing safety chains and straps.

What questions do you have?

Edited by Phil T on 05/24/23 - 7:19 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

wldrns1
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/25/23 - 5:52 AM

Comments: 0

Thanks Phil.
Issue is boat sliding back on bunks as soon as I leave helm to secure winch hook. Your suggesting trailer is too deep will be revisited. My focus has been on least power to fully load and not float. I've got that down. Too light on bunks as you indicate.
I'll work with less trailer in the water. Maybe a bit more power to load but no additional 'stuff' is to my liking.
Centering's not an issue and will mark fender once depth is found.
Thank You!

Edited by wldrns1 on 05/25/23 - 5:54 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 30, 2024 - 8:17 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Denham
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,034
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,175,712 unique visits