View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1996 Dauntless 17 DC, Gas Cap
sjoefl01
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/23 - 3:32 PM

Comments: 0

I just got this boat a few days ago. When I look inside the gas cap there is a foam like gasket seal that is dried out pretty bad. I would like to replace the seal but I can't even find the cap on the internet.

The seal is 2" OD with a 1.5" ID. It begins with .25" thick and where it meets it's mate it seem is about .12" thick. I tried to cut a couple of gaskets out of rubber but the >25: will not compress down enough to lock. I used one washer that was .12" thick and I just didn't have confidence it was sealing. When I look at the angle it looks like it might take on water if it doesn't seal well. There was also allot of debris from the old seal inside the cap. I wouldn't want that going through my injectors.

I am also looking for a hatch cover that is covering the battery compartment in front of the drivers seat. I tried some epoxy but I don't know if it will hold. I have never seen anything so difficult to find parts for on the internet.
Thanks, in advance for any tips.

Dimitri
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/23 - 2:35 PM

Comments: 1

Hi there, I have a 1995 Dauntless 17 DC. You make me want to take a look at my gas cap :-) It's indeed hard to find even any information on this boat. It's interesting that you say that your battery is under the front right seat. Mine is in the left console door, and I have seen some pictures and youtube videos of it also being there. When I start my journey I open that door to switch on the battery. For the hatch cover, I would just buy an entire hatch cover and bezel. I have to look at mine, because if it rains, water get's under the cushion and actually enters through the bezel into that compartment, and the water has no where to go but sit there! That's also where the fuel tank compartment joins, I had mine with a lot of water and could see it on top of my fuel tank when I opened the fuel tank hatch. Strange situation that that water has no where to go! I am currently repainting the boat. Stay in touch, I'd love to chat with fellow DC owners!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 8:22 PM
Users Online
Welcome
kaiamiller105
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,045
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,245,797 unique visits