View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1964 restoration questions(rub rail, etc....)
froumy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/18/23 - 11:29 PM

Comments: 0

Greetings-

1964 I've owned for 20+ years. Pulled her out of the water in 2007, for spider cracking in the Gel coat. (she was garaged for MANY YEARS, but time caught up) There is one 1/2 inch repair on the entire boat. Gel coat is spider cracked, with some deeper cracking on the top deck. We bought her, because she was clean for her age, and . well, classic.

My 17 year old wants her in the water(cool!). My wife is a working boat Captain(sail). Her mentality is to do it as quickly as possible, and throw it in the water.(cost/books) I don't wanna half arse a 64. Kid (says) he's willing to do the work. I'd listen to my wife it were newer, and for perhaps for biz purposes. She doesn't care for things based on a motor... LOL.... (Works classic 1700's, 1800's boats, schooner's, etc.)

Sooo..... My 1st concern. Can I remove the rub rail , and reuse it?

Endless recommendation's on refinish. I CAN'T not REMOVE the spider cracking. I know it's 98% prep. My 1st inclination was for a new gel coat. In my wife's best Maine Accent-Yes, she's a boat Captain from Maine, and a good one, ;-) - "Just F@cking throw some paint on her, guy, and throw it back in the water." LOL. (part of her 80's based mentality) I really like our 64,l can't do it.

I'm doing the the sanding/filling. What's the quickest ACCEPTABLE refinish, after that? Dealing with a 17 year old, and Old school, Maine Captain, that want RESULTS ASAP. I want the Base RIGHT. (non negotiable if you are doing the work) I don't care if it costs me $500+ now, for a quick paint, and more after(for vintage correct) In my wife's defense? She knows it needs to be done right, but she's pretty excited, that our youngest wants on the water, and I'm getting fast tracked....She knows wood. Not Glass.

How shall I progress?

Edited by froumy on 04/19/23 - 5:04 AM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/19/23 - 7:37 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Reusing the rubrail will be a total PITA. Order the one piece or the updated 3 part from Hamilton Marine.

Install is a two person job. Get 4-5 clamps (Harbor Freight). Use screws not rivets.

If you don't grind out and fill the cracks they will come back guaranteed. There is no quick way with gelcoat or paint. Prep is everything.

If she wants it fast then go crazy and spray it with bedliner and call it good.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

froumy
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/23 - 10:13 PM

Comments: 0

Thanks for the response. I'll check Hamilton. Whats the issue with a re-use? I like original.

On our Captains end. A 13 Whaler, is the Dingy/work boat, she'd use to bring people to the boat. She'd prolly pick bed liner, but I see it more like a 60's VW Beetle. Showed my son some vids on how to do the prep proper, and he's on board, too. It's for him. . Its 40+ years older than he is and he wants it to look that way. . Wife wants us to paint around the rail......oofff.... She just wants him on the water..

Willing to forego gel coat, for a quicker paint. The goal is 5 years, usage. If I'm so inclined, I can Gel then.

I'm prolly gonna paint over the original textured portion of the deck..... What should I expect?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 11, 2024 - 10:20 AM
Users Online
Welcome
CasperD
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,074
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,381,953 unique visits