View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1986 Whaler 27 FC Restoration/Modifications Complete
HTownGuppy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/09/23 - 12:17 PM

Comments: 0

I wanted to share my completed 1986 Whaler 27 FC that I spent about 6 years or so restoring and modifying. I got a lot of help from members on this site and from searching the forum. I wanted to thank you all for that help and for this site!

Unfortunately I now have to put the boat on the market as I'm not using the way it needs to be used. But I'm going to link my YouTube page so you can take a look at some of the modifications I did. I tried to upload pics but don't know if it worked. I'll also list the mods below as this is a pretty spectacular restoration/mod.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuzK...Mx98HmRT0w

Here's the information:

The Boat:
This Boston Whaler is a very BIG and comfortable fishing and/or cruising boat. This has sat next to a Contender 32’ in storage and is actually one foot longer and obviously larger than the Contender 32’. Boston Whaler must have a different measuring stick when they created the boat, possibly someone can help explain that at some point. So the Whaler FC is roughly 33’ long, around 10’ beam and a height of 12’ when on trailer. The main tank has 177 gallons and the reserve is 27 gallons. It has always been in covered storage and either on the trailer or in a sling. Never stored on the water.

Power Units:
The Whaler is powered by new dual 2020 Mercury Verado 300 V8’s with: port engine 8 hours and starboard 9 hours. With these engines the Whaler has hit 50 mph and had more power to spare. I didn’t push it higher because of the break-in period on the engines. These engines haven’t been wide open for that reason. So this Whaler can take the waves and also get there fast. The engines sit on a new Armstrong bracket that acts as a sponson. The Whaler gets on plane effortlessly thanks to the Armstrong bracket and the insane torque of the 300 V8’s. All rigging, power steering elements and helm electronics are brand new for both engines. The new Verado V8s are probably the best engineered engines on the market today. They are highly efficient and with a boat like this the more efficient the engines the better the experience. Since these are new engines I don't have a lot of MPG information on them for this boat. They are high efficiency and have cruise modes you can program to conserve fuel.

The Cabin:
The cabin of the boat has been completely gutted and reconfigured for a much more sophisticated look and feel. This is a large cabin with 6' 3" of head room in the main kitchen and head area. I'm 6' and it's easy to get in/out of. Ceiling panels are all composite covered with vinyl. LED lights throughout cabin make for comfortable lighting for those nights when you need it. 2 Fans have been installed and all windows/hatches open to allow a nice breeze. It’s a great place to relax when it gets too hot outside or if you just want a break. The cabin features plenty of storage for utensils and dishes with one freshwater sink in the kitchen area and one in the head. A refrigerator is onboard as well.

Full Head:
No more fumbling with a tiny console when nature calls thanks to a full and private head with new Jabsco toilet. This makes guests and clients much happier when knowing there’s a private place if the need arises!

The electronics are housed within the head area in a custom 3 shelf plexiglass array. Easily manage and diagnose any electrical need without having to become a contortionist. This boat was built not only for comfort but also with many years of experience owning and working on boats. I wanted all components to be easy to understand, highly accessible and plug and play.

Other Details Include:
Exterior:
Triple-axle aluminum trailer; disk brakes and torsion suspension
New Awlgrip paint
New bottom paint
All new exterior upholstery; Helm area with custom inserts, branded bolsters, branded seats, new top canvas, side awning canvas to hide all wiring, vinyl snap-out flooring
Rear wash down sinks and live well acrylic lids
Non-skid on surfaces
Automatic bilge pumps(3) and Manual back-up bilge pump
4 Rocket launchers on aluminum top
6 built-in rod holders
2 down rigger mounting brackets
Lewmar windlass with 20’ stainless chain and 300’ nylon

Whaler Electronics
Helm:
Custom Fiberglass Helm
New Garmin 12” Chartplotter/GPS GPSMAP 1242XSV PLUS
New Mercury VesselView 7” control center
New Lenco trim tab actuator
New Lewmar windlass and actuator
New Standard Horizon Eclipse GPS (GS1400GPS) VHF radio with exterior sounder and 8ft antenna
NewWire Marine switch panel
New Garmin GMR 18HD Radar Dome
New Infinity head unit

Stereo:
Infinity Bluetooth head unit(PRV-350)
Rockford Fosgate Sub amp
Rockford Fosgate amp
Rockford Fosgate speakers
10” Subs - 2
8” Mid - 2
6” Mid/High - 2

Mercury Verado Electronics
Dual 2020 Mercury Verado 300 V8 engines - 8 and 9 hours on each
Mercury VesselView 7” control center
New Mercury Dual handle DTS Binnacle console
New Mercury power steering pump assembly
New Mercury tilt helm steering
New Verado electronic rigging
Duracell 31 AGM batteries - 2

DC Power:
Paneltronics DC 12 Position Breaker panel w/ LEDs
3 individual fuse boxes for redundant circuit protection
3 Size 31 Duracell deep cycle for house battery bank.
ProMariner 4 bank on-board charger. Remote monitor above Paneltronics breaker panel. 110v for easy charging.

1986 Boston Whaler 27FC - Restoration/Modification

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/10/23 - 7:55 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

What is the asking price Chris?

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

HTownGuppy
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/23 - 9:24 AM

Hi Phil,

I’m asking $122,000 and have had some interest, it’s only been a week since I started selling it. I know a boat like this is going to attract certain buyers, like the group here. It’s tough to set a price on one of these since it’s so unique.

If anyone’s got some thoughts let me know. I’ve got $60k+ in the engines and rigging alone. Plus all the paint, fiberglass, electronics, upholstery, etc. As we know, this one can last another 50 years if taken care of.

Thanks-Chris

Vances Revenge
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/23 - 11:31 AM

Comments: 2

Very nice job!
$122,000.00 for this class of boat is nothing in todays market.

HTownGuppy
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/04/23 - 8:35 AM

For you guys who have sold your Whalers do you have any suggestions for mine? I've advertised it on The Hull Truth, Boat Trader and Boats.net. I haven't gotten much interest at all. I don't know if this is a two month sale or if it's going to take 2 years.

Are there any other forums or venues that you all would suggest?

Thanks for your help!

butchdavis
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/23 - 8:11 AM

As always, price sells. If you are in a hurry a much lower price is the answer. Think about your market. How many folks are seeking a used for almost 40 years boat of 27 feet for your asking price.

A price that is perfectly reasonable to a handful of Boston Whaler enthusiasts may not have broad appeal.

But, if you are not anxious to sell you may eventually be able to get your price. It's also possible to be very lucky and sell for your price tomorrow.

HTownGuppy
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/23 - 9:34 AM

Thanks Butch for that shot of reality:-) I completely agree that we're a group of enthusiasts who value the build of Whalers and would put a higher price tag on something that might be older than the run of the mill boat. And the appeal to the everyday boater is much different.

I'm going to need to re-evaluate if I want this to linger in storage for another year or possibly more or just bite the bullet and put it out there at a more palatable selling price. Fortunately I'm not in a financial bind but I do want the boat to be enjoyed by someone.

Thanks again to this awesome forum for good advice and suggestions.

butchdavis
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/06/23 - 8:26 AM

I would also list the boat on CW and the Facebook page All about Whaler, IIRC. Craigslist is another possibility but often generates many useless offers. But, may be worth a try.

butchdavis
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/07/23 - 7:56 AM

Another consideration in selling a $100,000 plus boat is using a broker. Like real estate there is a fee but many sellers feel it is worth the cost for the much broader advertisement exposure.

If you are considering the broker option read the agreement very carefully. A broker may waive all or part of their fee if the owner is able to sell the boat without his help. Other agreements may be much more binding and contain length of agreement clauses.

An online search of boat or yacht brokerages should provide useful information.

HTownGuppy
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/23 - 8:26 AM

Thanks Butch for your help with this and advice. I've used a broker in the past and had mixed results. I actually sold one boat myself and the broker took the commission. I didn't argue because they did the test runs with the buyer so that made up for me finding the person.

What is CW? I will also put this on Facebook marketplace.

butchdavis
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/13/23 - 7:05 AM

CW = www.continuouswave.com

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 2:41 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 1
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,516,265 unique visits