View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New Build
Adam Zengel
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/14/22 - 3:57 AM

Comments: 0

I currently have a 2019 Montauk 170 and got a double case of 2’ Itis. I am looking and shopping for a Montauk 210 and have found one brand new, that has a few features aren’t on my preferred list, but I could certainly learn to live with. Right now I am very busy with a work project where I couldn’t really use it much, so I am considering ordering one new. The dealer has a “Build Slot” available for February, with a delivery date around April.

I am trying to learn fishing, and enjoy it, but we will also use it for pleasure boating, and soon we will be using it for tubing for the grand kids.

A few questions ….

Anyone know how accurate the delivery dates are these days? I have heard of delays, mostly awhile back, and wondering if things have improved?

The T-Top versus a Bimini top. The T-Top look good, is about $10k and doesn’t provide the shade of the Bimini.

White motor vs. black? I am old school and Mercuries have always been black, but the white does look good on the boat.

Anyone with a 210 who could provide any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Currently 2019 Montauk 170, dreaming, planning for Montauk 210

butchdavis
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/14/22 - 7:43 AM

When fishing with a bimini top raised or deployed it can be difficult to move around the perimeter of the boat to reel a fish in, particularly when the fish is proving difficult to bring to the net. This can be easily dealt with by removing the bimini top assembly from the boat before using it for fishing. A t-Top is a better choice for a boat used mainly for angling but as you note is not a good choice for providing shade. T-Tops are much more expensive than biminis and require far more expensive boat covers. I believe a bimini top is the better all round choice for family use. Removing and reinstalling a bimini top takes about five minutes and that makes it a better choice for combined family and fishing use. A T-Top may be a better choice for a boat used mainly for fishing. Personally, I would choose a bimini top even for a boat used mainly for fishing due to it's high cost. I believe the judicious use of sunscreen, long sleeved fishing shirts, fishing scarves and hats provide sufficient protection from the sun.

The choice of the engine's color is purely a matter of which you prefer. I would find it very difficult to pay the high markup for a white Mercury engine.

Edited by butchdavis on 08/14/22 - 7:44 AM
Butch

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/14/22 - 8:30 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Honestly, I would not buy new right now.

Pricing is horrendous.

Some option prices, (when you can even find out what they are), especailly electronics, are questionable.

Look at option prices for add on items and compare to DIY or yard install.

The price for a white motor is just stupid.

The pressure for production has led to many new hires and quality issues have increased.

Consider looking nationally for a late model Montauk 210 this winter. You could save 10's of thousands.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/14/22 - 2:05 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Adam - There is one that just came up for sale on Everything Boston Whaler Facebook group today.

Here are the specs.

2022 Boston Whaler 210 Montauk
I am selling my 2022 210 Montauk to move to an offshore boat. It touched water the first time at the beginning of July and I have completed the manufacturer recommended brake-in process.
Here are the specs:
Warranty:
- Boston Whaler Transferable Hull Warranty Through 6/22/2032
- Mercury Platinum Transferable Engine Warranty Through 6/22/2027
Factory Options:
- 200 XL V6 Mercury (White)
- Upgraded Yeti Console Cooler
- Low Profile Rails
- Bow Cushion
- Bow Cushion Backrests
- White Rub-rail with Stainless Steel Insert
- Glove Box
- Deluxe Leaning Post with Livewell
- Fishing Package
- Trolling Motor Panel
- Electric Trim Tabs with Indicator
- Fiberglass Hardtop
- Galvanized Trailer with Disk Brakes
Additional Options
- Rhodan 72" 80lb 24v White Trolling Motor (New 2022 Model)
- Dual 12v Lithium 100Ah Battle Born Trolling Motor Batteries
- Noco Gen Pro 4 Bank 10A Lithium Charger + Noco Charging Port
- Garmin GPSMAP 943xsv Combo with BlueChart G3, LakeVu G3, and GT56UHD Transducer with Heavy Duty Stainless Mount
- Garmin VHF 115 Marine Radio
- Shakespeare 5225-XT Galaxy VHF 8' Antenna 6db Gain and Heavy Duty Ratchet Mount
- Blue Sea L-Series Trolling Motor Solenoid for Dash Trolling Motor Power Control
Located in Beaufort, NC
Price is $116,900

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rohlf...;ref=notif

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Adam Zengel
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/14/22 - 2:33 PM

Thanks. I will check it out. About the same price as one that the dealer has in stock. Don’t need the trolling motor and equipment though.

butchdavis
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/15/22 - 6:50 AM

My goodness, over $100,000 for a 21 foot center console boat. I remember a $1000 per foot benchmark for new boats. Admittedly, I'm an old man, but still.

If in the market for a 20 foot, or so, center console boat I would seek an older well maintained boat and put aside some money for new electronics or other features I wanted. Like you, I would try to find a boat without all the features I'd have little use for, such as trolling motors, etc. Why have that stuff in the way or have to deal with getting rid of it. Worse, why pay for it?

Butch

Adam Zengel
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/16/22 - 3:43 AM

In the spring of 2020, I purchased my 170 Montauk. I was looking far and wide for used, with the idea of upgrading or adding components as desired. The late model boats were not much less than brand new, and those that had attractive prices, were much older, beat up or needed a lot of work. I do not want to drive 3, 4, 12 hours to boat, and it won’t start or something isn’t working. Then waiting on parts or repairs on a weekend.

Plus, my wife said, “Just buy the new boat, you’ve worked hard”.

Dealer suggests I list my boat for about what I paid for it two years ago.

Give me some blue prints, and a pile of lumber, bricks, etc., and I can build the house. Working on electrical, a motor or other boat components and I am all thumbs. I think I am going to go for a new build, as the dealer has a slot in February. Choose the options I want, and then get back to building/remodeling homes.

Speaking of options, I am wondering about the Yeti cooler upgrade. Typically, we fill the cooler up with drinks at the begging of our weekend, and just add ice and more drinks as needed. This may be for a weekend or more. Thinking the Yeti might be nice to reduce the amount of ice we will need. Anyone have experience with a Yeti?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 7, 2024 - 12:10 AM
Users Online
Welcome
jshllen1980
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,059
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,295,876 unique visits