View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1995 Outrage 17 - locations for fuel/water seperator filter installation
lockepoint
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/21 - 7:17 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Maybe I'm over thinking this but I'd like to avoid drilling more holes for a location change later.

New to me within the last few weeks is a 1995 Outrage 17 (Outrage I). As part of updating the fuel system, installation of a stainless steel fuel/water separator bracket and filter with clear drainable bowl is pending. To date, this hull has not had an external fuel/water filter.

The logical location for the filter sure seems to be on the bow side of the interior 'wall' in the space below the starboard stern seat. The current fuel line runs through that space, access is relatively good and the under-seat location keeps the filter from being a cockpit obstruction. After looking at other mounting options - there doesn't seem to be many - I thought I'd ask Outrage 17 (1990-1995) owners where they have installed fuel/water filters.

These factors figure in to the decision: the battery and primary oil tank are in the console; this hull has the stern live well/bait tank; with a drainable bowl, at least a few inches of clearance below the filter bowl is important. In the 'under stern seat location', however, the sight-line on the clear drain bowl may not be the best.

If you have other location suggestions, I'm interested in hearing them.

Thanks.

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/21 - 7:30 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Congrats and welcome to the club. We are small group but have pluck.

On my 1991 model I installed a Yamaha mini separator on the interior forward wall of the rear quarter seat. The mini was selected due to size constraints.

On my current boat, a 1992 model, I removed a water separator mounted on the transom under the engine.

I am running a portable this year so I have not yet decided where to install a filter when I use the main tank. If I had to guess it would be inside the port side rear quarter seat. It will make the rigging clean.

Build a personal page so we can see what you got.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Craig
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/21 - 8:32 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I have mounted mine under the starboard stern seat since i moved my battery to the drivers console. I like this location as it is protected from water, sun and accidental contact. The only draw back is sight line to the bowl. I unscrew the two mounting screws to check visually and drain if needed. My priming bulb is also in there which I like as it is out of the elements and out of the way.

1993 SL 16, 1997 Honda BF 90

lockepoint
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/21 - 10:03 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Thanks, Phil. I'm going through the hull and motor so I have a baseline for maintenance going forward, including fuel lines. If avoiding a filter bracket move later is possible, so much the better. This is the first Outrage 17 I've owned, but have had a couple of Montauk 17s (1987 & 1984). Definitely distinct hulls. I've read a lot of your posts on the first series Outrage 17 as well as posts from owners here and on a few different forums. A serious thanks to Joe Kriz for operating this site.

Did the mini-separator work out OK and is it that much smaller? By mounting the filter under the port side seat, are you thinking that would keep the bracket/filter/fuel lines clear from all the rigging that runs under the starboard seat?

Craig - it helps knowing you mounted the filter in the same starboard spot I'm considering. Good info on having to remove the bracket to check the drain bowl. Maybe it's just best to use a filter without the bowl and replace the filter once or twice a year.

By the way, I have tried to set up a 'personal page' but I'm having problems uploading photos. The problem is me - not the site. I'll keep trying.

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/21 - 10:40 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I did not install the one with the clear bowl. That definitely will not fit. I think they have limited value.

The filter was a extra extra precaution since I pumped gas from a mainland gas station and treated every gallon with an ethanol stabilizer product.

Here is what I used: https://www.simyamaha.com/yamaha-alum...0as-00-00/

I drained the filter 2x a year and then reinstalled. Changed cartridges once every 3 years or 100 hrs of use.

If your fuel lines (vent, fill and supply) dont say "alcohol resistant" they need to be changed.

My battery is in the console and my engine does not have an external oil tank so the under seat storage areas are empty.

Personal photos have size and dimension limits. If you need help, email them to me. I can fix them easy peazy.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 12:55 PM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,110,101 unique visits