View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Need help - How do you clean the decks of your Whaler?
sy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/21 - 7:55 AM

Comments: 0

We have a (new to us) 2017 Dauntless. The decks were pristine white until we left it in the driveway for a couple of weeks and the leaves have left stain marks all over the deck.

I've scrubbed and scrubbed with a soft bristle brush and MEGUIAR'S M4364 Marine/RV Boat Wash. It's barely making a dent. I've tried reading the Whaler site for suggested cleaning agents that won't damage the decks but there's very little information.

So I figured I'd ask the experts. How do you learn the decks of your Whaler?

What products do you use that don't damage the deck? And how often do you use them? Do wax the decks or not? Any other great wisdom?

Look forward to learning from you all.

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/21 - 8:19 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

A stiff bristle brush will do you well. Look for one that is a good size, not too large.

I like the type that also accepts a pole that threads in so you can stand up.

As for products, start off with the general cleaners and work your way up.
Simple Green (diluted, undiluted) is a begining.

When you get to the caustic products, do a test area and rinse very well.

Bar Keepers Freind
Soft Scrub
Toliet Bowl Cleaner
Hull Cleaner

Once the non-skid is clean, treat with Woody Wax.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/07/21 - 10:35 PM

Comments: 16

You want to use Starbrite "Non-Skid Deck Cleaner". This is the BEST product for cleaning non-skid. It literally melts the dirt away. Wet floor, spray or pour on, spread around, let sit for a minute, and scrub. It also cleans whaler upholstery well . I think Attwood also makes the same product.

If you have stubborn stains from leaves and other tannin stains, liquid "Instant Hull Cleaner" should work. This product also cleans off yellow hull staining. It is oxalic acid based.

Use only liquid products for cleaning your Whaler. Products with abrasives, like the first three Phil mentioned, in MY opinion should never be used, as they will scratch and dull the gelcoat. Products with bleach should also never be used.

Whaler's website will confirm what I am telling you.

Mallard1100
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/21 - 5:41 AM

Comments: 1

I agree with the above. I have been using the star brite non skid deck cleaner for many years with good success. Also look into the bartenders friend liquid that’s in the spray bottle not the powder. It’s an excellent hull cleaner when touching up the scum line.

gypsmjim
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/21 - 5:18 PM

I use Boat Nine for almost everything. Works most of the time. But before I went out to buy some I would invest in a boat cover.

butchdavis
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/21 - 7:53 AM

Before applying caustic deck cleaners to our older Dauntless 16 deck I would resort to using our power washer. I would begin with the most conservative spray nozzle and power setting and work up to a more aggressive setting if necessary. I would first wash the deck with soapy water and leave it unrinsed. If you try this method avoid using aggressive spray nozzles and power near caulked deck seams and the center console. Sometimes adding a modest amount of bleach to the final wash produces excellent results. If bleach is added to the wash water rinse the entire boat thoroughly.

Butch

CaptCol
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/21 - 11:11 AM

1. A well fitted waterproof cover.
2. Hull cleaner, basically oxalic acid. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection, it can burn badly. Use only in well ventilated settings and do small areas and do not let it set more than a couple minutes.Thoroughly rinse with fresh water. Do not let it set on metal.

butchdavis
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/21 - 7:38 AM

If your deck is stained so badly that the use of oxalic is necessary use caution. The oxalic acid should be diluted with fresh water. Rinsing immediately following scrubbing as you work is necessary. Rinse very thoroughly after every small area is scrubbed. Also rinse the hull carefully where the water exits at the scuppers. Plastic scuppers can be damaged by okalic acid if not rinsed frequently during cleaning. Anything beneath the boat will be damaged by the acid if not quickly rinsed. Think of your trailer and any lawn or asphalt parking area.

I've used the acid in the past to cleans stubborn stains in my boats teak trim. My recommendation to use caution is based on my experience.

CaptCol's cautions are not over stated.

Butch

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 28, 2024 - 1:57 AM
Users Online
Welcome
sbfarrelly
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,026
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,121,277 unique visits