View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Stern bench seat for 1972 21' Outrage
thomsal
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/21 - 10:39 AM

Comments: 1

I am new to this site and have just purchased a 1972 21' Outrage that I believe has hull number 374.
This was purchased knowing that it was going to be a project boat. Prior to this purchase I had a 1986/87 17' Super sport. Nice boat but my kids (now young adults) had to choose amongst their friends as to who could safely go on the boat. The Outrage has the RPS, a cooler with cushion in front on the console and a full stern bench seat, so there is more than enough seating. My problem is this: The original tank has been abandoned and there is a twelve gallon tank and battery on each side of the stern, well behind the bench seating.
The bench seat needs to be disassembled in order to reach the tanks or batteries. Re-assemble is difficult. The padded side and rear bolster stay in place. I am wondering if anyone else has the same situation. Most of the cushions on the boat need replacements and before I reupholster this entire set up I am wondering if there is a better alternative. Perhaps a home made teak bench that could just pull forward while refueling or servicing batteries with removeable cushion.

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/21 - 12:12 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

If you have saddle tanks.

The original supplier still offers the tank.

https://floridamarinetanks.com/quote/com/quote/

Fill out the quote form. Expect ~$10/gallon capacity.

(edit to add saddle tank)

Edited by Phil T on 08/10/21 - 12:59 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/21 - 12:24 PM

Comments: 16

It sounds like you have an "Outrage II" model. These boats do not have an internal tank, and the ones you describe sound original.

The Whaler "stern seat" was first introduced on this model, but I never liked it's application on the hull because it makes access to the fuel and batteries so difficult.
You will have to decide if it an accessory you want to stay with.

Nor do I like the battery/fuel tank factory arrangement. I changed mine to accommodate a Moeller 18 gallon fuel tank in each stern quarter. Works well.

Buying one of these as a project boat is a REAl project. They are a lot more work than one originally assumes.

For your reference, here are some photos of mine, all original but not a project boat. I was fortunate to find a one Owner in original condition. I did all the varnish upgrade work.

https://boats-from-usa.com/boston-wha...-21-204314

thomsal
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/21 - 3:37 PM

the photo's of your Whaler are incredible. But none of them show a bench seat in the stern. Have you removed it completely? Do you have any seating behind the pilot seat? Removing the existing seat and not replacing it with something is out of the question because of kids and their friends. I don't mind dragging (pulling) the tanks out to refuel but just want easier access. Even a homemade bench with cushion that could be pulled toward the RPS would make life easier. I don't even think it would have to be locked in place. Centrifugal force (?) would keep it in place. I will try to get one of my kids to post a picture.

Edited by thomsal on 08/10/21 - 3:42 PM

thomsal
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/21 - 3:43 PM

Bench seat picture

thomsal attached the following image:

[35.94Kb]
Edited by thomsal on 08/10/21 - 3:45 PM

Finnegan
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/21 - 9:22 PM

Comments: 16

My boat began life as an "Outrage I" model, which did not have a stern seat. I replaced the original "I" pilot seat with the "Outrage II" RPS seat like you have.

If we need seating across the stern, I have two 72qt igloo coolers, with Anderson cushions, placed end to end across the back. They are easy to move around for filling the fuel tanks. I only put them in the boat when we need the extra seating capacity.

I have also found that the stern quarter decks, with a boat cushion on top, makes a decent seat all by itself, and the stern rail provides additional security to hold on to.

thomsal
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/21 - 3:55 PM

I appreciate the responses but I still have a dilemma. I would love to see pictures of the stern section of a similar outrage 21 where my bench is located, but especially without the bench. I need to see what it looks like back there before I dismantle the upholstered bench seat and start making a bench (or two) out of teak with added cushions. I am wondering what type of backrest I would need to make.
Actually all pictures, including those with coolers would be a great help. Obviously I would appreciate distance and close up shots. Thank you for all of your comments and thoughts.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 12, 2024 - 5:01 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Sailfish31
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,077
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,392,466 unique visits