View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Gelcoat & repair recommendation
manufran
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/21 - 4:03 AM

Comments: 0

Hi everyone,

I own a 2004 130 Sport. On my way back home the axle on passenger bent. By the time I realized that the tire went (melted) through the fender, rubbed against the hull causing some damage. Could recommend a a gelcoat for this repair or advice of how to repair it. Thank you.

manufran attached the following image:

[46.74Kb]

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/21 - 8:17 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I can't tell from the photo how deep the damage is.

Take some acetone and wipe the area down, getting all the rubber removed.

Take a photo or three with a ruler to show how long, wide and deep it is.

This will allow me to give you detailed repair advice.

Do you have marine retail locations where you are i.e. West Marine etc.

What level of DIY skills do you have?

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

manufran
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/21 - 8:53 AM

Ok, I will clean the area and take some more detail photos with the ruler. I have access to West Marine and in terms of DIY level I would say 8, except electrical work.

Thank you for your reply.

I removed as much debris as I could. (I have more pictures but don't know how to upload multiple photos or if the system permits). I hope this help you to have a better idea

manufran attached the following image:

[119.41Kb]
Edited by manufran on 07/30/21 - 4:59 PM

acassidy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/21 - 8:24 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Man that sucks big time, Sorry happen, but it could have been worse.
Are you experienced with fiberglass repair? That is a fiberglass repair and is structural. Will need to be ground back and feathered out 1 to 10 ratio. I would fill the foam area with thicken resin after it is cleaned out too. I recommend 1708 several layers and polyester resin. You need to match the thickness of the hull with the glass and need to be 1 to 10 ratio overlap. Finish with mat, fairing and gelcoat over fairing to help with cure and board sand. Fair it and board sand and fair again board sand and then gelcoat The repair will be sustainably larger than your damaged area. You have to get to clean glass. Maybe 3 or 4 inches in every direction for the feathering. The repair will need to go under the bottom as much as on the sides. It is fixable but will take some skill to make the finish product to look original. Not a hard repair but will take some skill to do it right, or you will be repairing it again some day. Explaining the the repair honestly could take up a whole chapter in a fiberglass repair book if I explained in details. And if this post makes since to you, you probably have enough experience to do it yourself.
Archie

Finnegan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/21 - 12:01 AM

Comments: 16

You have a legitimate insurance claim for the damage both to trailer and boat.

I would turn in a claim, work with the adjuster and have it repaired professionally. They will pay for everything except applicable deductibles.

manufran
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/21 - 6:19 AM

Thank you acassidy, you explained very well. Yesterday I visited West Marine and the representative waked exactly through the same steps you are referring. Never worked fiberglass before but I think I can do it. Another concern is the color, but of the damage is in the hull. Hi Finnegan, it never crossed my mind turning in a claim. My boat is insured with BoatUS, never has to used them before until this time when requesting a tow truck and they were really great. I really appreciate your instructions of how to do the job and your advice to work with the insurance. I just started to fished a lake here in Virginia with a healthy population of stripers! In the meantime I will wade and enjoy the Shenandoah river for largemouth! Thank you!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 10, 2024 - 9:31 PM
Users Online
Welcome
jessecallen
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,073
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,374,103 unique visits