View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Buying a Used Boat, I'm paying Stupid Tax
jboz5010
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/08/21 - 7:32 AM

Comments: 0

I just bought what I thought was a solid 2007 Sport 150 with a 2007 Mercury 60 Big Foot. The boat looked solid, nothing more than some nicks on the gel coat. There were maintenance records from seller going back 6 years, every year an annual was performed. On the sea trial the engine start from cold on the first bump, throttle was a little stiff but not bad. The engine ran great from the bottom, mid range and top end. The steering was a bit stiff, and the seller stated his mechanic said this is just the way it is with these motors. The boat even came with a decent trailer. I plopped done my money in 2021 dollars and happily pulled it home.

I spent a few days cleaning and buffing out the gel coat. I worked on the lights, noting but cleaning. Re-tied the control cable bundle and replaced the extinguisher and mount. I made an appointment to have this years annual performed and to identify the source of the stiff steering. I'm still optimistic at this point and very pleased with the boat, my neighbor a boat guy took it out and came back grinning ear to ear. I felt like I had done well.

I just left my boat mechanic with some sobering news. Although it is a solid boat, the engine is in much worse shape than I thought. There is corrosion around the thermostat housing that has been sealed with RTV, corrosion in other areas that will eventually cause issues as well. The larger issues are a rusted trim motor, corrosion on the trim cylinder and most importantly the pivot is damaged beyond a simple repair. Old age, salt and wear has taken its toll. Now I am considering a re-power if I can find a Merc 60 Command Thrust.

The point of all of this is what most of you know already. Don't let the superficial lead you into making a poor decision. If I had taken the boat to a mechanic, or at least taken someone that knew what to look for, I could have saved some money, or walked away. I've had boats for years and this is the first time I've purchased a boat this old and I simply did not do my home work.

At the end of the day, I do really like this boat. It will have a 2021 Merc on it sometime this year. It will be for all intents and purposes a like new boat. I'm adding AquaTraction to increase the comfort for my wife and dogs. I don't regret buying this one other than I wish I had been able to take off the Rose colored glasses and taken a critical look. Stupid Tax is an expensive, although effective, way to learn. Good Luck and Great Boating.

jboz5010 attached the following image:

[36.91Kb]
Edited by jboz5010 on 06/08/21 - 9:30 AM

guitarfish
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/21 - 10:24 PM

Comments: 2

Been there done that. Except mine blew the motor on the first trip. But after the new motor, man was I a happy camper.

1971 Menemsha 16 and 1978 15' Custom

CaptCol
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/21 - 11:43 AM

Comments: 0

A great confession, sorry it turned sour. If that's your boat in the picture, it looks great. But a new reliable motor will eliminate your boating headaches and improve your enjoyment for years.
Even the best looking and performing boats can have problems hidden for years, like me finding my oil drain plug cemented in place after 4 years of having a professional service it annually (Yamaha 250HP), mechanic said he didn't do it. So now I know how to service my own engines.
Good luck.

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/21 - 12:02 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I sold my 1987 Montauk back in the day. It was in good shape when I purchased it. I improved its condition over the time I owned it.

Boat ran and looked great.

Several months after selling it, the new owner reported serious issues (created over time) with the engine that I was not aware of, nor my well qualified mechanic who serviced the engine to the letter.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Edited by Phil T on 08/19/21 - 12:02 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 8:11 AM
Users Online
Welcome
oddbald
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,051
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,269,208 unique visits