View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Stiff Steering on 2006 Mercury 40hp
wesley8808
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/21 - 11:54 AM

Comments: 0

I have a 2006 Sport 130 with a Mercury 40hp that had real stiff steering. I have owned the boat for a little over a year now. I am the 2nd owner, the first took meticulous care of the everything, or so I thought.

This is really my first go round with engine repair, other than routine maintenance. I first took it to a mechanic who was going to disassemble and try to get it working trouble shot the issue to the pivot tube, which after doing research seems common for these motors.

I noticed a ton of marine grease right where the steering arm was attached to the bracket. I had it at a mechanic that tried applying some heat to it, but it didn't really help. So after much internet research, I thought I would give this a try myself. I tapped a new hole I drilled in the top of the pivot tube for a new zerk fitting. I drilled out a zerk fitting and attached a 2 foot 1/4" tube and fit it in the top hole. I filled the tube with penetrating oil and let it soak. I found that instead of soaking downwards to the removed fitting hole on the side, the oil was coming out from the top of the pivot tube. After soaking for a couple of days, I hit it with a propane torch.

The brownish old oil was pushed out of the top hope like a snake! I blew in some air through both holes and then reapplied the penetrating oil. A couple of days later I hit it again with the torch and got a similar result, then I ran out of propane! I worked the motor left and right during the entire process and it is unbelievable how much easier the motor turns now. I did another round of penetrating oil which was finally leaking from the bottom hole. I reinserted the zerk to let the penetrating oil soak it and will hit it a final time with heat.

I am super pleased with the results. The mechanic quoted me a small fortune (almost the cost of a new motor) to disassemble the pivot tube (requires removal of the power head, etc) and had recommended trying this on my own. Kudos to him for looking out for my best interests. Other than this steering issue, everything else on the motor is fantastic.

My only question is how often should I grease the tube? Go back to the regular maintenance schedule? Or more frequently, cleaning out what I can of the old grease first?

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/21 - 12:17 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Lubricate with marine grease 2x a year.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

wesley8808
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/21 - 1:26 PM

Comments: 0

Phil T wrote:
Lubricate with marine grease 2x a year.

Perfect. Thanks for verifying.

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/21 - 12:22 PM

Comments: 16

The original poster should have read this article before drilling into the engine.

It explains the continuing problem with mechanical steering in Mercury outboards, nicely solved by use of a Steersman grease zerk nut.

http://whalercentral.com/forum/viewth...ost_150161

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 11, 2024 - 1:54 AM
Users Online
Welcome
jessecallen
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,073
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,377,048 unique visits