View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Mercury+Teleflex help!
pippolino
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/20 - 3:25 AM

Comments: 0

Dear all,
I'm writing from Italy, owner of an original 1980 Revenge 22 with a 1980 Mercury 150 V6.
The mercury is in perfect working conditions but I'm facing with a strange problem and I don't understand where is the trick.

Configuration: single Mercury with double steering cable by Teleflex
Problem: for some reasons not able to fully steer on the left side (cables pulling)

Actions already done:
- removed all the levers connecting the two steering cables to the engine: engine moves fully, it is not the problem
- steering cable not fully steering disconnected from engine, problem is there somewhere
- removed the two boxes behind the wheel, opened them , checked the cable and gear inside are fine, everything seems fine
- tried to pull cables with free cables on steering side and not able to pull the one that is inserted in the trim-thru-tube inside the engine, the external one (the secondary) works -> ok at least I know the main going thru the engine is the problem
- try to remove the cable from the engine to see where the problem is:
-removed the locking nut holding the cable to the engine... the cable comes not out, and here the problem!
-applied oil and special unblocking spray to see if something was stuck inside... nothing
-tried to hammer a little bit... nothing
-tried to push, pull... the cable moves fully right, partially left as in the beginning but it comes not OUT, even with the NUT totally loose
-even tried to heat it with flame-torch being carefully to stay at a temperature that cannot ruin aluminium, nothing!

What the hell, why is this cable not coming out?
Is there any special fixing I'm not aware of? Reading manuals it should come...
Ever happened to somebody else?

I'm not able to attach images... are they disabled?
I link to a share here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FvTwHqjKZdF...KZdF3Sx4p8

Thanks a lot for any suggestion!

pippolino attached the following image:

[115.42Kb]

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/20 - 7:02 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Ciao, Lore

Have you removed the bolt on the port side of the engine bracket where the steering rod comes out?

Do you have photo from front showing the starboard side of bracket where the cable enters the tilt tube?

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

pippolino
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/20 - 7:36 AM

Phil T wrote:
Ciao, Lore

Have you removed the bolt on the port side of the engine bracket where the steering rod comes out?

Do you have photo from front showing the starboard side of bracket where the cable enters the tilt tube?

Hi Phil,
on the port side, what do you mean with BOLT? I don't have one, just a NUT (at least it seems so from outside) and from the manual it seems the one fixing the tilt tube to the engine (not related with the steering rod). Is this false and do I need to remove this one?
You can see it in the picture attached.

[78.41Kb]
Edited by pippolino on 11/09/20 - 7:38 AM

pippolino
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/20 - 7:40 AM

Phil T wrote:
Ciao, Lore

Hi Phil,
on the starboard side at the moment this is the only picture I have (i'll be back to the boat in 2-3 weeks, we're in lockdown now and cannot move...). Is this enough? What do you need to see exactly?

[115.42Kb]

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/20 - 8:29 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Ciao, Lore -

My mistake. I should have said NUT, not bolt.

In my experience both nuts need to be removed to take the cable out.

I must admit I have never seen a engine bracket that has a recessed nut as shown in the photo.

I am going to reach out to a veteran member and Mercury guru and ask him to join this thread.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

pippolino
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/20 - 8:52 AM

Phil T wrote:
Ciao, Lore -

My mistake. I should have said NUT, not bolt.

In my experience both nuts need to be removed to take the cable out.

I must admit I have never seen a engine bracket that has a recessed nut as shown in the photo.

I am going to reach out to a veteran member and Mercury guru and ask him to join this thread.

If it can help to understand where the problem is it is a Mercury 1980 XL-PT 150hp (sn. 5503257).

pippolino
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/14/20 - 2:00 AM

Still stuck... Any ideas?

MG56
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/14/20 - 1:44 PM
Personal Page

Pip, the steering cable in the engine tilt tube is frozen in there. Get a big hammer and drive it out. It really is as simple as that.

Finnegan
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/20 - 10:14 PM

Comments: 16

The problem here is very common with mechanical/cable steering on a Mercury outboard.
It has also been discussed here many times before.

The cable freezes in the tilt tube due to lack of servicing and lubrication, which is not easy to do, nor are most aware that it needs to be done. The grease seal 0-ring, inside the port end of the tilt tube, wears out quickly, letting in water and contaminants, and can't be replaced without pulling the steering ram back in the tilt tube so the seal can be accessed. This may even require removing the engine from the boat, which is why this needed service is rarely done. The old seal has to be dug out and a new seal installed, then the ram re-greased and re-installed.

To repair this mess, and prevent it from happening again, I recommend replacing the port side tilt tube nut with a SS "Steersman" 1" grease zerk nut (about $25 USD), which has it's own o-ring seal, easily replaceable, The Mercury tilt tube o-ring seal is removed and not replaced.

If cable steering is to be retained, the old twin cable system should be removed and discarded, and replaced with a complete new "no-feedback" single cable system.

Even better, if it were my boat, I would convert to front mount hydraulic steering, eliminating the cable problems completely. An additional recessed mount plate kit is needed for mounting the Sea Star helm.

As for removing the frozen ram in the tilt tube, the steering cable should be cut at the starboard side, with a cutting/grinder disk, and pounded out as mentioned previously. If this can't be accomplished, a new engine tilt tube may be required.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 11, 2024 - 8:01 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Sailfish31
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,077
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,387,290 unique visits