View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
No more Evinrude ETEC...now what???
Mattynp
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/20 - 8:11 AM

Comments: 0

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have a 1993 Montauk 17 which I have been planning to repower due to compression starting to slip on my current motor. After extensive research I decided to go with a 90 ETEC due to power/weight ratio. As I was shopping around Evinrude went belly up! I'm sure I can get a good deal on a new ETEC now that dealers probably want to get rid of them but I'm not sure I want a motor where the manufacturer is out of business for a whole host of reasons. I could use some advice.

Now I'm back to the drawing board and looking at the Yamaha F90, F70, and the Suzuki DF90. I have been reading this website for a while, and many others, and completely understand the modern 4 stroke weight concerns with the 353 pound Yamaha F90 and the 253 pound F70. Only real reason I'm considering the Suzuki DF90 is because it weighs 343 pounds. I typically run my Montauk with my family of 4 (two kids under 6, but they will grow) plus some sandbar gear and a cooler. At most I will have is 4 adults (all under 180#) and 2 kids cruising around DC on the Potomac. I like going fast but I don't care about breaking any speed records. I haven't pulled any of my kids on a tube, too young, but definitely a potential in the future.

I currently have 1995 Evinrude 90 (319 pounds) on the back and I have two batteries which have been moved under the center console. I feel like the boat rides great. I have also never experienced the boat with a light 253 pound motor (F70) which everyone seems to love. I just want an outboard which is the best mix of speed, handling, and efficiency for my Montauk and the way I use it. I really do not want an underpowered boat which is what makes me nervous with the F70. Should I be concerned with an extra 33 pounds on the back of the boat if I go with the Yamaha F90 or 23 extra pounds of the Suzuki DF90? Or could I be happy with the light weight the Yamaha F70?

I know this topic has been written about extensively on this forum but so many people in the past have advised to go with an ETEC or a 2 stroke 90HP Yamaha. Well now the ETEC is not really an option and I want a new motor, not an old Yamaha 2 stroke. Thanks in advance for the help!

(please follow the guidelines at the top of this page and use the full 4 digit year)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 06/30/20 - 12:15 PM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/20 - 10:11 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

There is no weight issue with any current 90hp 4 stroke for a classic Montauk 17. Only engine weights over 400 lbs need mitigation.

4 people with possible tubing means go with the 90hp.

Your choice is about:

Dealer
Price
Features

Shop dealers hard for detailed quotes that list everything seperately with a cost.

Expect to spend from 9k for an F70 installed to 11K for a 90hp. Dealers can be slick so get details in writing. No writing, walk away.

Engine should be mounted at least 2 holes up with a stainless prop. Don't skimp or get pushed around on this.

Most dealers don't carry inventory and order engines. New old stock should be discounted. Dealers don't typically like repowers in summer since they are swamped with breakdown work.

I had a classic Montauk and now a Outrage 17 I am prepping for repower.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Mattynp
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/20 - 10:21 AM

Thanks Phil T! You rock. I've already saved some of your responses in other posts to my research folder. Especially about the mounting holes. Have a great holiday weekend!

biggiefl
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/30/20 - 11:17 AM

Comments: 4

I had a Suzuki DF70 on my Montauk with a manual jackplate so I was pushing 400lbs. The boat ran great and handled excellent. I replaced a 90hp Yamaha 2 smoke at 260lbs and personally the extra weight made the boat ride smoother with less bow slap. 23lbs is an empty cooler. stick one full back there and go for a ride and see.

24 Whalers so far....

JRP
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/20 - 4:20 PM

Comments: 2

You are in that tricky category where the Yamaha 70 would be adequate for much of what you do, but there will often enough be times when the 90 would be a better match. You could really go either way and be reasonably happy, but in your case, a 90 probably makes more sense.

I would add two other engines to your shopping list: Mercury 90 Fourstroke and Honda 100 fourstroke. These, along with the Yamaha and Suzuki, are all very close in weight.

The Merc would give you the most displacement and an engine that is not hard pressed to produce the 90 rating on the cowl (a variant of this same engine produces well over 115 hp with different mapping.)

The Honda 100 would allow you to max out the HP rating of the hull. If you are going for the bigger engine (than the 70), why not go all the way?

I believe the Washington Marina Company (right there on the waterfront along Washington Channel) is both a Merc and Honda dealer. It would certainly be convenient to have a local dealer right there on the doorstep of your home waters. They may even be a Yamaha dealer too.

19 Outrage II (1992)

Mattynp
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/20 - 4:57 AM

Thanks! That's great advice too. Especially to check out the Washington Marina Company. I'm in the military and just moved to DC and not really sure where I should be shopping yet. I've actually be searching dealers in Delaware due to no sales tax. One reason why I've been really considering the Yamaha is because I move around on military orders and there is never a Yamaha dealer far away. I will definitely consider the Honda 100 since it's the same weight as the 90 and only about 6 pounds heavier than the Yamaha F90. I will say that I've done extensive research and not to many people say Honda is where its at. Of all the major outboard makers Honda seems to be mentioned the least. Yamaha seems to be the most mentioned. I did have a buddy with a 13 foot Whaler with a 20HP Honda on it and he loved it. Once again...thanks!

MG56
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/20 - 1:27 PM
Personal Page

The Honda will be $2-3000 more than the Mercury if you buy the Merc right. Yam is also going to be more.

JRP
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/03/20 - 3:33 AM

Comments: 2

Mattynp wrote:
Thanks! That's great advice too. Especially to check out the Washington Marina Company. I'm in the military and just moved to DC and not really sure where I should be shopping yet. I've actually be searching dealers in Delaware due to no sales tax. One reason why I've been really considering the Yamaha is because I move around on military orders and there is never a Yamaha dealer far away. I will definitely consider the Honda 100 since it's the same weight as the 90 and only about 6 pounds heavier than the Yamaha F90. I will say that I've done extensive research and not to many people say Honda is where its at. Of all the major outboard makers Honda seems to be mentioned the least. Yamaha seems to be the most mentioned. I did have a buddy with a 13 foot Whaler with a 20HP Honda on it and he loved it. Once again...thanks!

Welcome to the area, and thanks for your service. There are a fair number of options for re-powering in the area, so definitely shop around. Nothing wrong with the Delaware option either.

As far as Honda outboards go, they definitely maintain a lower profile. They do a lot of business with gov’t agencies (Coast Guard, harbormasters, marine police, etc) due to their reputation for reliability and low maintenance.

That said, Honda has not been keeping up with market leaders like Mercury in R&D, especially in their larger engines (125+HP). Consequently many of those larger engines tend to be a bit heavy compared to competition. However, their 100HP outboard is a relatively recently released exception, and represents an interesting option for classic Montauk owners looking to max out the hull’s HP rating.

And this exception in Honda’s line-up raises a good point about making broad stroke generalizations about any manufacture of outboard engines. No single manufacture leads in every segment. So it’s important to study the offerings on more of a case-by-case basis, because the best option for a 90 HP engine may be a different manufacturer than the best option for a 70 or 115 or 150, etc.

As far as Yamaha being most mentioned or recommended brand, some of the info you’re reading could be dated or based on past experiences. I say this as a Yamaha outboard owner, but if I was looking for a new engine in the 115+ HP range today, I’d be looking elsewhere (Mercury is “where it’s at”, in my opinion.) However, if I needed a 70HP outboard there’s no question I’d grab theirs.

Keep us posted and maybe I’ll see you out there on the river. My Outrage 19 has a the big “Whaler” logo plastered on the hull sides, and most times we run with a blue dodger and bimini.

19 Outrage II (1992)

Mattynp
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/20 - 2:48 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. Seriously. I'm anxious to repower but should I wait until the end of the summer to do it? I'm afraid that if I do it right now, beginning of July, I might be paying a premium. How much better of a deal do you get shopping for a new motor in the fall...or even better yet at a boat show? The Annapolis boat show is still on for this October but due to COVID, who knows. What do you guys think? Repower now or wait until the fall?

gypsmjim
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/20 - 5:43 PM

Mattynp wrote:
Thanks for all the great advice. Seriously. I'm anxious to repower but should I wait until the end of the summer to do it? I'm afraid that if I do it right now, beginning of July, I might be paying a premium. How much better of a deal do you get shopping for a new motor in the fall...or even better yet at a boat show? The Annapolis boat show is still on for this October but due to COVID, who knows. What do you guys think? Repower now or wait until the fall?

If you decide on what you truly want, and you can find one in stock locally, don't walk over to the dealer, but RUN and buy it now. IMHO, availability will be a concern, and prices are not likely to go down.

Now, if I'm wrong, you'll still have a fine motor, and even if it cost you a coupla bucks more, you'll be out boating and not worrying about covid, or anything else.

Weatherly
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/21 - 2:48 PM

Comments: 4

No more E-Tec? I bought a brand new E-Tec for my 16 Nauset in Oct 2020. I read Phil T. rigged a 90 E-Tec to his Outrage 17 at Lockman's in recent weeks. Rumor has it the E-Tec will rebrand as a Johnson. The rumor emanates out of Detroit, if I read it correctly.

Phil T
#12 Print Post
Posted on 05/11/21 - 3:56 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I finally got up to see Dave and Doug and have them install my engine. It was purchased in December of 2019 prior to the BPR shutdown.

Covid delayed install.

Don't listen to those rumor mongers

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

martindupre
#13 Print Post
Posted on 06/11/21 - 12:37 PM

Rebranding Evinrudes as Johnsons make no sense at all.

The BRP press release stated “We will concentrate our efforts on new and innovative technologies"

So what are we to think, powerful electric outboards?

The best thing that could happen to us boaters is if BRP was willing to sell the Evinrude assets and someone with adequate resources was willing to buy.

Edited by martindupre on 06/11/21 - 12:38 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 12, 2024 - 3:35 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Sailfish31
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,077
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,391,497 unique visits