View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Montauk 150 w/ Bigfoot 60 Propeller Choice
dmgaudet20
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/20 - 9:08 AM

Comments: 0

Just purchased a new to me 2008 Montauk 150. It has the Bigfoot 60 on it with the standard Vengence 13 3/4 x 14 SS prop. The boat is very slow to plane off. When I'm alone in the boat at WOT, it will get to 5900 RPM and approximately 31 MPH. It struggles pulling my teenage boys on the tube with one spotter. I'm considering a prop change to gain better acceleration. Has anyone had experience with the Spitfire X7 14 x 13 SS prop on this motor? I'm planning to trial the prop first through an online dealer that allows 'try before buy' with a small rental fee. Has anyone had luck with an online dealer that does this? What other props have you used with this motor for a better hole shot?

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/20 - 10:34 AM

Comments: 16

A good friend and very knowledgeable Whaler owner has the same boat, and he continuously complains the 60HP 4-stroke does not have enough power for the hull. He has the same complaint that you do. The boat needs 90 HP, but the 90 hp four strokes are a bit heavy for the hull, so Whaler never offered it. If it were mine, I would look for a good used Mercury 3 cylinder 75 or 90 2 stroke. They are quiet running, and light in weight, about 300#, and be a HUGE improvement in speed and pulling power. Maybe 40-44 MPH top end.

Anyway, with the 60, the Spitfire-X7 is Mercury's hottest new 4 blade SS mid-size gearcase perfprmance prop, and expensive. It may be too much propeller for the little 60 Big Foot, not a performance engine, being really designed to make 90 -125HP engines go really fast. They say it is faster than their Laser II or Trophy performance lines.

Instead, since your top end speed is only around 31 mph, which is not really fast enough to benefit from use of an SS prop, I would consider the aluminum 4 blade Spitfire. Mercury also sells the same prop under their Quicksilver label as a Nemesis for a few dollars less. They advertise that this prop improves acceleration while maintaining 3 blade top end. I would not go lower in pitch than what you currently have, and if a 14" is not available, maybe go to 15" in aluminum. I have heard that Vengeance props actually run somewhat higher in pitch than indicated, so your 14 may be running like a 15. A 13" Spitfire/Nemesis aluminum would give you good pulling power, but you would have to watch top end RPM lightly loaded. For the price, (about $125) you can't go wrong trying one of these out. It is always good for a spare or heavy loading.

Incidentally, Mercury now considers the Spitfire to be their top performing aluminum prop, and is made for all size gearcases. I found that Mercury's modern aluminum props are surprisingly good performers, even at elevated mounting heights. For boats with a top end speed of 38MPH or less, they are all that is needed.

biggiefl
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/20 - 11:06 AM

Comments: 4

Good point Finnegan, SS is not really a benefit on a 31mph boat. I would personally love to overpower a newer hull like a F70 on 130 sport would be fun.A 90-115 would be fun on a 150.

24 Whalers so far....

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/20 - 12:55 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Agree with Larry on prop recommendation and the factory power being too week.

The Montauk 150 weighs more than the classic 15 Sport (max hp of 70) and same as the classic Montauk 17 (max hp 100).

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Jcrgus
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/20 - 7:26 AM

dmgaudet20 wrote:
Just purchased a new to me 2008 Montauk 150. It has the Bigfoot 60 on it with the standard Vengence 13 3/4 x 14 SS prop. The boat is very slow to plane off. When I'm alone in the boat at WOT, it will get to 5900 RPM and approximately 31 MPH. It struggles pulling my teenage boys on the tube with one spotter. I'm considering a prop change to gain better acceleration. Has anyone had experience with the Spitfire X7 14 x 13 SS prop on this motor? I'm planning to trial the prop first through an online dealer that allows 'try before buy' with a small rental fee. Has anyone had luck with an online dealer that does this? What other props have you used with this motor for a better hole shot?

I am in line to buy a 2021 Montauk 150 and am concerned about the hole shot with 400 or 500 lbs of gear. Did you resolve your prop issue? I used the quicksilver prop selection program to narrow down my choices:
https://www.quicksilver-products.com/marine/propellers/prop-selector/

It seems the most aggressive for acceleration is: the 4 bladed Nemesis 13.8 X 13. The price with hub is $215 which is nothing compared to the cost of the boat.

Sure would like to hear from folks who know the boat and what prop they are using

tedious
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/20 - 7:53 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

My apologies for raining on your parade, but the Montauk 150 is significantly underpowered with a 60, and there's not much you can do about it. Remember that Mercury Marine bought Boston Whaler to sell motors, so they aren't going to bump up the power rating to something like 70, for example, because they don't make a 70. I'm sure the stock prop that comes with it is pretty much optimal for the 60.

If you're going to be running with 500 pounds of gear plus passengers all the time, you'll probably want to drop down in pitch from the stock prop. However, top speed will be even lower than the 31 MPH the original poster quoted, and you may well find you need to be almost at WOT just to keep on a plane.

gypsmjim
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/17/20 - 4:49 PM

I found this post shocking!!! Ours is a 2017 model with the same engine and prop, so I don't know if there is a difference, but it is without question the best boat we ever owned.

We have added a 3.5 HP kicker on the transom, so the weight is slightly heavier. We usually run with 2 aboard. Top speed is 35 mph, just like the BW spec sheet calls for.

The hole shot is the best I have ever seen. That sucker literally jumps out of the water while still maintaining a level profile. To say we are delighted is an understatement.

Now, I admit, its not the fastest boat around. But its for fishing not racing. If I wanted a speed daemon I'd have bought a Donzi. To say its under-powered is just not right.

Ours came from the factory with the engine height raised. I would say its optimum.

Aside from that it has the best fuel economy of any boat I ever owned.

If you want to go fast, get a speed boat, not a 15 foot toy boat.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 11, 2024 - 11:03 AM
Users Online
Welcome
CasperD
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,074
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,382,463 unique visits