View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1972 Cohasset II hull color
Rotor
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/20 - 11:27 AM

Comments: 0

I have a 1972 Cohasset II that I want to do some gelcoat repairs on. I am looking for any information on the hull color and if one of one of the Spectrum premix colors would work?
Thank you

biggiefl
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/20 - 12:10 PM

Comments: 4

The blue is not close from what I hear about the Spectrum Patch paste. Not sure about the Gelcoat itself.

24 Whalers so far....

Rotor
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/24/20 - 12:18 PM

I guess I should have given a little more info. The boat actually doesn't have the blue interior. It has a white interior and what looks to be some sort of off white color for the hull.

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/20 - 2:02 AM

Comments: 16

Cohassets were only made as 1973 model year boats, manufactured between 08/01/72 and 07/31/73, so your boat would be considered a 1973. This was the first year Whaler did not use the blue interior.

As you mention, your boat has two colors. The interior is readily available Desert Tan, it's first year, and the outside is often called Outrage Gray, which is a color code long lost by the Whaler factory, and NOT available from ANY gelcoat source, in spite of what they call it. IT HAS TO BE CUSTOM MIXED. I think the "lectern" center console is also Outrage Gray.

Forget overpriced Spectrum. Instead you can buy a Qt of Desert Tan Gelcoat, with wax added and in brushing consistency, from Advance Coatings Company, in MA, one of Whaler's early suppliers. They have a website, but you will have to call them for an order. Price is about $60/qt shipped. Also buy a Qt of generic white gelcoat with wax added (Jamestown Distributors), and using an empty pint can, should be able to lighten up the Desert Tan to achieve the outside color.

Advance will also do a custom color for you if you send them a color sample from the boat.
Downside is 4 qt minimum order @about $160.

Rotor
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/20 - 1:50 PM

Finnegan wrote:
Cohassets were only made as 1973 model year boats, manufactured between 08/01/72 and 07/31/73, so your boat would be considered a 1973. This was the first year Whaler did not use the blue interior.

As you mention, your boat has two colors. The interior is readily available Desert Tan, it's first year, and the outside is often called Outrage Gray, which is a color code long lost by the Whaler factory, and NOT available from ANY gelcoat source, in spite of what they call it. IT HAS TO BE CUSTOM MIXED. I think the "lectern" center console is also Outrage Gray.

Forget overpriced Spectrum. Instead you can buy a Qt of Desert Tan Gelcoat, with wax added and in brushing consistency, from Advance Coatings Company, in MA, one of Whaler's early suppliers. They have a website, but you will have to call them for an order. Price is about $60/qt shipped. Also buy a Qt of generic white gelcoat with wax added (Jamestown Distributors), and using an empty pint can, should be able to lighten up the Desert Tan to achieve the outside color.

Advance will also do a custom color for you if you send them a color sample from the boat.
Downside is 4 qt minimum order @about $160.

Thank you! This seems to be on odd model, so my searches didn't come up with much info on the colors used. Great tip about, I'll be calling Advance Coatings as well.

1972 Cohasset II

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/25/20 - 2:24 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The Cohasset I and the Cohasset II are both listed and offered in the Boston Whaler price list for 3-1-1972 and says now available in the 1972 Cohasset Flyer.

https://www.whalercentral.com/viewpag...age_id=203

https://www.whalercentral.com/article...cle_id=102

superdave_gv
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/20 - 12:05 PM
Personal Page

Yes 1972 was the start for Cohasset. Chuck Bennett said my boat was shipped out of Rockland Mass on 4/27/72. It does not have a 12 digit HIN, which Chuck mentioned Whaler started in November 1972. Georgia requires a HIN for all boats built "after 1972".

This is mentioned from a thread on another forum-- from Tom C in 2008! -- the color of Cohasset's is off white and not desert tan.

Still have mine. I am digging into all these old threads to install new bow and stern lights and wiring (new drill through and hidden in rub rail). Just like the research on Continental Trailers, Larry G you are again a great resource on this topic with your Montauk install. Debating on using the terminal block cover.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 21, 2024 - 7:31 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhturner
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,111
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,562,108 unique visits