View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New to boating
cmb456
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/19 - 1:05 PM

Comments: 0

Hi,

I just joined this forum. I am new to boating, but I’ve always liked Whalers since I was a kid. I grew up around the beach, but never actually owned a boat.

My question is this: I am considering a 2016 or 2017 Outrage 230 as a first boat. Is this too much boat for a first time owner ? I live in NJ, so my plan is to start first on a lake to gain some experience, then in a few seasons use it in the intercoastal. Can anyone provide some advice/feedback on this.

Thanks

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/19 - 2:11 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Welcome aboard Whaler Central.

That is a large boat but one question I have is this,
Are you going to trailer this boat or leave it in a slip?

If you are going to trailer the boat then you would most likely always need someone to assist launching due to that size of a boat.
Something to consider.

Maybe get a test drive of the boat to see how it feels to you and if you are comfortable maneuvering around.
https://www.bostonwhaler.com/family-o...0-outrage/

Weatherly
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/19 - 2:14 PM

Comments: 4

I agree with Joe. A 23 footer is too big, especially as a first time boat owner. I recommend you look for a good condition used Montauk 17 boat, you may like it so much that it will be your first and last boat you ever buy.

cmb456
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/19 - 2:41 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will have a slip for the boat and don’t intend to trailer it.

JRP
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/19 - 3:45 PM

Comments: 2

cmb456 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I will have a slip for the boat and don’t intend to trailer it.

Even with a slip, that is a lot of boat to start off with. I’m not saying it can’t or hasn’t been done. But starting a bit smaller and building up some experience over 2-3 years would be a better approach. A smaller boat will teach you many skills (boat handling, navigation, maintenance, etc) that will then make larger boat ownership more enjoyable and safer.

Also, spending some time in a smaller boat will give you a chance to think about what you really want/need from your “next boat.” With experience, you may realize that the Outrage 230 doesn't have all the features you want, or isn't as large as you actually need, etc. Buying and selling boats is expensive, so you want to do your homework and purchase from a position of knowledge, not blindly which is sort of where you are now.

Good luck - - boating is a great past-time and you will surely enjoy it. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by JRP on 11/01/19 - 3:47 PM
19 Outrage II (1992)

Harpooner
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/19 - 5:35 PM

I think it depends on what kind of person you are.

By that, I mean, are you pretty good at understanding how a car handles? What happens when you slam on the brakes, yank the wheel to the left at high speed, the physics of all that type of thing? Are you fairly mechanically inclined and "get" things around the house, with your car, etc.?

I just think with a boat, you pull up to a dock with a cross wind, can you figure out that the boat is going to "slip" downwind, and what you might do about that? When you take a wave at an angle vs head on vs a following sea and what's happening with the boat in those situations?

It's not complicated, but a "thinker" type personality doesn't get confused by that stuff, and I think that helps. If you aren't that type of person, then maybe the smaller boat is a better idea. Otherwise, I don't think a 23 footer is terribly hard to learn.

acassidy
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/19 - 10:51 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I recommend a smaller boat than the 230 Outrage as a first boat for reason stated above. Almost everything is easier on a smaller boat, when it comes to learning general boat handling. And mistakes you have while learn will be smaller on a smaller boat. I recommend taking a boating course, plus try going out on the models you are looking at.

That 230 Outrage is a lot of boat. But that being said, there are a lot of first time boaters who buy a boat that size and learn how to handle it as a new boater. There are many benefits to learning on a larger boat, one being it handle better in rough water. But a mistake in a larger boat in rough water can me more catastrophic than you would want as a new boater.

Smaller boat will teach you how to read the water, read the waves and how to handle navigation much quicker than a large boat. Docking will be much easier also.

You will want the whole new experience of boating to be a pleasant one and I have seen people before who get into boating and then have unpleasant experiences which drive them away from boating.

Now with all of that said, It is totally possible to get the 230 Outrage and learn in that boat. Make it your "small boat" and take it slow and learn everything you can with that boat. It being in a slip is a big plus.
Archie

butchdavis
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/19 - 8:16 AM

I started with a 24 foot slip kept boat. Looking back a 17 foot Montauk or 18 foot Dauntless on a trailer would have been a far better choice.

A factor no one has mentioned is the amount of maintenance required for any slipped boat. It can be a lot more work than imagined and at a pretty high cost.

Dealing with a large boat kept in a slip as your "learning" boat is not a good idea.

If you intend to begin your lessons in a lake and then graduate to the intercoastal. Have you considered where your slip will be when you graduate?

Buy a smaller boat on a trailer. It will increase your cruising range and pleasure while reducing your costs and maintenance needs.

Edited by butchdavis on 11/02/19 - 8:18 AM
Butch

cmb456
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/19 - 7:11 AM

Thanks for all the input; very useful !
Regarding the slip. After I start boating in the intracoastal I plan on having the slip there.

Also, I will be taking a safety course and a hands-on training course before I get the boat.

tom blinstrub
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/06/19 - 7:57 AM
Personal Page

Like others have said you can't go wrong with a 17' Montauk. A lot of boat for it's size. Buy one in decent shape and in a few years it will sell easily if you want to go bigger.

butchdavis
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/07/19 - 6:54 AM

I've always been a person to go my own way regardless of advice from others. It's done me no lasting harm and I only have a few regrets mostly from making my own mistakes at no small expense.

I encourage you to buy the boat you want and to use it your way.

Butch

NickF
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/19 - 9:04 AM

I purchased my 2017 230 Outrage about a year and a half ago as my first rig and it's the best decision I've ever made. I pull it in and out of the water almost every weekend and store it on a trailer. I'm located in Southern California, so we make runs to Catalina Island (approx 35 miles) regularly with comfort and ease. It's a hell of a boat.

Go for it!

biggiefl
#13 Print Post
Posted on 11/13/19 - 10:40 AM

Comments: 4

A 23 on what lake in NJ? Most won't allow that large or that much HP. I have a 26' and it is a lot of boat, especially for a newbie. Growing up on LBI a 23' would require following the channel for the most part which is not always fun. Many parts of Barnegat Bay are VERY shallow.

24 Whalers so far....

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 1:05 PM
Users Online
Welcome
petesfleet
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,099
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,492,431 unique visits