View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Trailer for Whaler
R Davis
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/18 - 9:40 AM

Comments: 0

A friend of mine recently purchased a 1997 17 ft. Montauk from a private party. He needs a galvanized trailer for it. It's currently sitting on a temporary makeshift trailer. He contacted a nearby Whaler dealer who recommends a Karavan BW- 2450-ST-74. It is a bunk trailer with only two bunks supporting the entire weight of the boat.

I noticed when looking at literature about Karavan trailers is that they don't make a keel roller trailer, which has always been my understanding is the factory recommended setup (a keel roller with two bottom side bunks for stability).

The dealer does NOT recommend a keel roller setup. He didn't tell my friend why, but I imagine it's because they only sell Karavan brand, and keel rollers aren't available from them.

Does Whaler factory still recommend against supporting the entire boat weight on bunks alone or have they changed that recommendation? If that has changed, WHY? If it has NOT changed, why would Whaler allow a dealer to set up a boat on a trailer that could damage the hull?

Any suggestions on a trailer type / brand suited to his boat? He really doesn't want to drive to Florida to buy a trailer then have to adjust it to the boat when he gets it home.

I have a 1992 Sport 15 with a keel roller trailer and it works really well supporting the hull and easy to launch and retrieve, so I would like to see him get a similar setup.

Randy
South Texas

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/28/18 - 10:04 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

It is straight forward to add keel rollers. I did it to my new LoadRite in the yard right after purchase. Add 2 per crossmember.

I did double 12" on rear member:
http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/12-i..._1371.html

Double 10" on middle crossmember:
http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/10-i..._1372.html

You can get the needed bolts, washers and nuts at your local hardware store (galv or SS)

Here is the after photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/1498317...ateposted/

Edited by Phil T on 04/28/18 - 10:09 AM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Malcolm
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/18 - 11:29 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I am also selecting a new trailer for my 1988 Outrage 18 with Yamaha F150. I have decided on a King KBW2400. This is a bunk, extra wide frame, hence the BW designation, torsion single axle with greased hubs. King is a well respected salt water trailer here in the Northwest. New trailers today don't seem to have keel rollers included. Phil T, you have been very helpful here, just ordered 4ea 12" Stoltz kits thanks to your link. I am going with 12" both forward and aft, the price is almost the same as the 10". Is this a mistake? Are 10" or 8" preferred on the forward crossbar? How about weight distribution between the rollers and bunks. I have heard of everything from "all weight on rollers- bunks just to provide lateral support" to "bunks are all that is needed, no rollers". I am obviously going with rollers but what weight distribution? 50/50 seems practical and what I intend to do. Tom W. Clark chimed in at 75% rollers, 25% bunks with the caveat that he eyed it on his boat and can't be sure, but that was his goal.

Edited by Malcolm on 04/29/18 - 11:31 AM

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/18 - 12:14 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Malcolm -

I think quad 12"'s are fine. I went with two 10" rollers forward due to $. I was already way over budget.

The setup is the boat sits on the rollers and the bunks support the side to side.

When setting the bunks, tighten the bracket bolts so there is friction, no play. Give each a medium tap with a hammer then tighten down. I use the pivot bracket type that allows the board to adjust.

If the trailer comes with marker lights on the rear x member and you are adding rollers, you will need a the offset light bracket. It goes on top of the aft roller bracket.http://www.loadrite.com/wp-content/up...00x384.jpg

Edited by Phil T on 04/29/18 - 12:16 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Malcolm
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/18 - 1:20 PM
Personal Page

Thank you. Funny, another guy and myself were studying your trailer's photo and noted the offset markers. We looked up state and federal requirements and they call for CENTER marker lights if the trailer is over X feet (I don't remember if triggered by width or length). Very technical item, I will also be offsetting!

Malcolm
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/18 - 1:23 PM
Personal Page

Oh, I see. The photo with offset markers was before installing the referenced bracket. Nice. I'll due the same, thank you

JRP
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/18 - 2:24 PM

Comments: 2

Malcolm wrote:
I am also selecting a new trailer for my 1988 Outrage 18 with Yamaha F150. I have decided on a King KBW2400. This is a bunk, extra wide frame, hence the BW designation, torsion single axle with greased hubs. King is a well respected salt water trailer here in the Northwest. New trailers today don't seem to have keel rollers included. Phil T, you have been very helpful here, just ordered 4ea 12" Stoltz kits thanks to your link. I am going with 12" both forward and aft, the price is almost the same as the 10". Is this a mistake? Are 10" or 8" preferred on the forward crossbar? How about weight distribution between the rollers and bunks. I have heard of everything from "all weight on rollers- bunks just to provide lateral support" to "bunks are all that is needed, no rollers". I am obviously going with rollers but what weight distribution? 50/50 seems practical and what I intend to do. Tom W. Clark chimed in at 75% rollers, 25% bunks with the caveat that he eyed it on his boat and can't be sure, but that was his goal.

Malcolm,

I own a 1992 19 Outrge II, which is the same hull as your Outrage 18. Working from the back end forward, my trailer has 3 pairs of 12" Stoltz keel rollers, then a pair of 10" Stoltz rollers, and finally a single 10" roller all the way forward under the bows. So that is a total of 9 rollers (6 x 12", 3 x 10").

Nearly all weight is on the rollers. The bunks pretty much just stabilize. This makes for very easy launch and retrieval.

19 Outrage II (1992)

Flounder
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/18 - 10:09 PM
Personal Page

R Davis, you don't have to travel to Florida for a trailer for the Montauk, try McClain trailers, they're local (Texans).

Weatherly
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/18 - 7:36 AM

Comments: 4

R Davis:

Your friend got incorrect information from the local Boston whaler dealer.

A 1997 Boston Whaler Montauk 17 should be hauled on a bunk trailer with keel supports. Most of the boat's weight should be carried on the keel supports. This is information right out of the Boston Whaler owner's manual. The center-line keel of a Montauk 17 is the strongest part of the foam core constructed hull.

The Karavan model specified by the dealer is for a 2002 and newer Montauk 170; Not a 1976-2002 Montauk 17.

Take a look at the Tip of the Week (nice website upgrade Joe!) and you will see we are talking about two very different boats with the word Montauk in their names.

Phil is correct, adding keel supports is easy enough but it can get costly. The Montauk 17 is light enough (when compared in weight to the Outrage 18/19 hull) so that you can install single center-line keel supports. You do not need two keel supporting rollers per cross-member.

There are numerous bunk trailers for sale that will work very well hauling a Montauk 17 hull; unfortunately, most require accessorizing the new trailer with keel support brackets. The best trailer to buy for a Montauk 17 hull is one that is rated for GVWR of 2000 lbs. A bunk trailer with a higher GVWR tends to be very stiff and, as a result, the hull is subjected to unnecessary stress when driven over rough road surface.

Edited by Weatherly on 04/30/18 - 8:21 AM

R Davis
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/18 - 9:47 AM

Weatherly wrote:
The Karavan model specified by the dealer is for a 2002 and newer Montauk 170; Not a 1976-2002 Montauk 17.

Take a look at the Tip of the Week (nice website upgrade Joe!) and you will see we are talking about two very different boats with the word Montauk in their names.

Weatherly:

I would very much like to read that article, it's exactly what I need, and found it at http://whalercentral.com/Boston_Whaler.php

But it will not highlite to open the article.
How / where can I open the full article?

Gracias.

Randy
South Texas

mtnsherpa
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/18 - 7:19 PM

There are two owner's manuals covering the Montauk 17 under >Resources>Downloads>Boston Whaler Owners Manual . . . http://www.whalercentral.com/download...p?cat_id=5. Unfortunately, these manuals and my manual are not explicitly dated.

Quoting from the owner's manual that came with my 1997 Montauk 17 (emphasis is as original, typos are mine)...

PROPER SUPPORT OF THE BOAT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: As the keel of your Boston Whaler is designed to support the weight of the boat, you should select a trailer which contains center keel rollers. Adjust keel rollers so that they all support the keel. Trailers equipped with side rollers instead of side "bunks" should never be used, as the side rollers can cause a ripple effect on the fiberglass. This could disrupt the bond between the fiberglass and the foam core, causing potential hull problems. Also, side rollers can put excessive pressure on model spray rails when the boat is being launched or retrieved. Therefore, the trailer should be equipped with padded side bunks.

SIDE BUNKS should be located so as not to interfere with bottom spray rails, transducers, etc. The bunks need only provide lateral stability and should not be weight bearing. Some slight rocking is desirable to assure that the weight is on the center keel rollers. Tie-down straps, when secured, will eliminate the rocking. A properly adjusted trailer will simplify launching and retrieving. The drawing shows the proper trailer arrangement for your Boston Whaler.

Float-on trailers are of the all bunk style. These are suitable for use as long as the bunks conform to the shape of the hull, give support near the center keel, and provide good fore and aft support to spread the total weight.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 9:52 AM
Users Online
Welcome
billwhaler8578
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,097
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.28 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,489,972 unique visits