View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
bait tank location
cajunman
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/05 - 8:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

if you look closely at the avatar of my Montauk, you can see that the previous owner mounted the bait tank forward of the console, before the step up to the anchor locker . Anyone have any experience with this location? I've left it there to try it and see if i liked it.
The main issue i have is that the location leaves no room for the 94 quart cooler, only a 54. Second issue is that the bait seems to get beat up more than if in the rear.

Any suggestions for a rear location? My dual batteries are located in the stern on the port side.
tks and happy holidays, merry christmas to all
rich
Cool

Mike
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/05 - 10:49 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Hi Rich,

With the exception of placing it all the way or nearly all the way aft, the drain will be a problem. Directly behind your RPS would be nice but you'd still have the drain pipe to contend with. One side or the other may work but may adversely effect the balance of your Montauk. It's a good question, hopefully someone has a solution.

Mike

cajunman
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/21/05 - 8:13 AM
Personal Page

thanks mike,

i've thought of trying to relocate to the strarboard aft side of the boat. I've a 9.9. kicker located there now that i don't use much,, i thought swaping the motor for the Kokiak P-14 (weighs 120# full) would be close to even, the drain would then be a non issue.

There is actually room to put the tank in this spot without losing the 9.9 but i was afraid that would be too much weight on the stern?

tks
rich
Cool

Jeff
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/22/05 - 11:41 AM

Comments: 34

I wish I had pictures of this Montauk I saw over the summer it would help with this. I happened to be out on Lake Michigan hanging out at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore this summer. While I was there another fellow and showed up in a older 79 Montauk. I was with my family and with my dads Montauk anchored out we of course stuck up a conversation with the boats owner. What interested me was he had taken out the cooler up front and replaced it with a 30 gallon Tempo fuel tank. He had a custom cushion that sat atop the tank. Then under the RPS he had all of his tackle boxes much like Joe has on his 18. He said the extra weight up front helped the boat to kept from pounding in rough seas. "He" thought it was the best thing he has ever done to modify his whaler.

So Rich,

What if you did the same and moved the fuel tank in front of the console and then added riser blocks under the RPS and found a new bait tank to fit under it? Just a thought... I would try to keep as much weight away from the stern as possible. That stern on the Montauk sits low as it is..

Edited by Jeff on 12/22/05 - 11:43 AM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

cajunman
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/22/05 - 3:30 PM
Personal Page

huuuuuuuuum,
food for thought,
yep the stern does sit low, i was out today in San Diego bay and had a larger wave catch us from behind as we were drifting,, goodly amount of water but the bilge easily took care of it
tks for the suggestion, still shopping and waiting for the "old timer experts" to chime in
he he he
rich the ragin cajun
Cool

Longboarder36
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/08/06 - 9:34 AM

Comments: 0

I'm trying to do the same thing. So far, I stripped out everything to the bare haul. I installed a leaning post, put a 12gal & 5gal fuel tank under it. Took out the oil mixing unit mounted on the side. Behind my leaning post I have a 94qt cooler w/seat cushin. I'm making my own center console w/no front seat. I want as much deck space for fishing. My problem is the same.........Where to put a bait tank. I was thinking of using a baitbag, but not enough transim space to hold it.
So let me know Rich, what your did. I live in Hemet, so maybe we can hookup and fish SD bay or LJ kelp.
-Tim-

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 20, 2024 - 5:31 AM
Users Online
Welcome
o8er
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,107
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,533,426 unique visits