View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Feels like I've found a new home.
Shallowdraft
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/17 - 11:15 PM

Comments: 0

My name is John and I am now the proud owner of a 1995 Boston Whaler Dauntless DC with a 115 HP Mercury motor. I live on the North River in Marshfield. It's my first boat even though I've lived on the river for 20 years. I'm lucky enough to have an 8x16 ft float that I can tie to and keep an eye on the boat from my deck. I have so many questions but I'll hold off on asking them until I search the forum. I don't think there is an owner's manual specific to the DC and I need an owner's manual for the motor. I have put in a second battery and battery switch and I've installed a Garmin 74 CV which seems to be a great little unit. It feels pretty slick to have found this forum and it already feels like home. It's my first foray into boating so forgive me in advance for what will be newbie questions. Haha I think this boating thing is going to be very cool. Goodnight and watch out if you see me coming. I think I'll leave the fishing tackle at home and focus on docking and safe operation. Tata for now.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/17 - 12:19 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Hello John and welcome aboard WhalerCentral.

Congratulations on purchasing your first boat and a Whaler at that.
You will need to look online for a Manual for your motor or at a Mercury dealer.
Maybe others here can give you more info on the Mercury motor.
Good Luck and enjoy your new adventures.

DauntlessDC
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/17 - 4:23 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Welcome to the club I own a 1996 Dauntless 20 and it's a Dual Console... I heard from my Uncle who has the same boat same year and we bought together and he says 1996-1998 were dual console bowriders and after that our model became the Ventura and now the Vantage... Now I know the 1995 were DC too... Also I have a the original Mercury outboard and it runs like a top... I do have it tuned up on every odd numbered year and added dual batteries and a bunch of electronics and I run the battery odd/even days... 1 for odd number days and 2 for even days... The hull is a bit rough in the chop but steady while fishing or trawling... My uncle has a Yahama 225 and I have a Mercury 225 and his gauges are digital and mine are analog... I added a bunch of stuff and he never drilled a hole in his. Two different philosophies. I go offshore and added 2 more rod holders (4 total), new Garmin GPS/Wayfinder, navionics app with a Ram iPad mount suction cup, VHF (he doesn't even have one of these), Fusion stereo with 6 speakers, and a rocket launcher rod holder attached to the bimini. His boat will do 51 knots and mine will do about 48-49 but I am a big guy. I am going to repower this winter with the new Evinrude Gtec2 DFI and add trim tabs. I live on Long Island and I am on the water everyday the sun is shining and keep the boat High and Dry while my uncle lives on the water and keeps his on a lift. We often boat both together and people give us a ton of compliments. I think these are the best (most versatile) BW since the family is happy riding upfront and I am happy fishing off the back, or the kids have fun tubing. I was wondering what size Dauntless you had? It must be awesome having it on a river with a floating dock. BTW I know the new BW run much smoother since my dad has a 380 Outrage 2016 brand new with a seakeeper gyro loaded but his much larger boat has the same size cleats as mine and it's a great boat but the new smaller ones have small cleats and just seem different. My dad's 380 Outrage is loaded and he spent over 500k on it! BW got very very expensive but the Joystick controls and skyhook is amazing plus the auto trim tabs, we have taken his boat from the Florida Keys to Nassau Bahamas and his boat is called the Jawbreaker III from when he owned a 1986 Outrage and going through chop would make your teeth chatter. It is amazing the technology and engineering though on the new BW, he has a generator and 3 15" flatscreen with a real head and rod storage inside plus AC....BW is the best... He looked into a Jupiter boat but decided on BW because of the wide dealer network.

1996 Dauntless 20 Dual Console named
Anchor Management

Shallowdraft
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/17 - 8:10 PM

Today was my first full day in my 1995 Dauntless 17 DC and 115 Mercury. It apparently came out of the factory set up for water sking with a fixed anchor point for the tow rope. Ive gotta figure out how to put in some rod holders. It doesnt have any. I also have to eject a few of the 7 vinyl seats . I can't imagine it pulling water skiers with more than a couple people on board. It also has a 6 bladed prop which I think I need to change out. The biggest thing I learned today was how much I have to learn. Navigating with the Garmin 74 c.f. makes that aspect pretty easy but pulling up for fuel or docking is a spectical To behold. They say the way to Carnegie Hall is practice practice practice. It seems to be the perfect first boat for the river and buzzing over to Scituate. I think I'm gonna have some fun...

CapeCod23
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/17 - 11:06 AM

HI Shallowdraft. Congrats on your purchase. I just bought my first boat which is a 1996 Dauntless dual console with a Johnson 115 which is having some work done to it. I will be curious on how you attached rod holders as I want to do the same thing. I am down in Bourne so we are not to far apart. Happy Boating

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/24/17 - 11:18 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 26, 2024 - 8:20 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 20
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,085,057 unique visits