View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Generator vs. Inverter/Charger
HTownGuppy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/18/17 - 10:20 AM

Comments: 0

So this is a question I've trolled the internet looking for and have seen several different answers to. But I thought I'd reach out here as the advice I've been given has been working on my restoration project.

1989 Whaler 27 FC, dual 275 Verados. My thoughts have been to run an inverter/charger with a large battery bank instead of installing a genset. Since this is a full restoration I'm rewiring everything, using LED lights, quite a bit of electronics, small refrigerator and the largest draw would be a marine air conditioner. But I'm looking at the Webasto FCF5000 where the draw is as follows: Voltage:115 Running Current: 5.8A Starting Surge: 23.5A.

My setup would be a ProMariner 2500W inverter/charger, cranking batteries(2), and then 2-3 nice sized 4D or 8D batteries for the house bank.

The Verados have 70amp high output alternators. I don't know what makes them 'High Output' but that is what the Mercury part says.

My primary use for the Air Conditioner would be when I'm out fishing and need to cool down or possibly even an overnight trip. Other than that I would not be away from shore power for more than 1 day.

The reason I'm asking is that I don't want to plunk down $8k-$10k on a genset(installed) where I might be able to get away with electric power.

Any thoughts on this setup?

1986 Boston Whaler 27FC - Restoration/Modification

JRP
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/19/17 - 4:11 AM

Comments: 2

HTownGumpy,

I will offer some general advice, rather than specific analysis of your charging/load requirements.

If your goal is to run air conditioning without being attached to shore power, you will need a generator. However, my advice is to forego that goal, and be content to have air conditioning at the dockside.

Installing a generator is a big expense, both upfront and ongoing, and takes up critical space on a small boat. Add this to the expense and space taken by the air conditioning unit itself, and you are in deep.

Generally while underway, the breezes and open air of the ocean keep things tolerable. The same is often true when anchoring overnight, because the boat swings into the breeze and so air comes down the hatch and flows through the cabin nicely.

Also, you can pick and choose based on forecast, and plan to be hooked up to shore power on nights/days when you know it will truly be unbearably hot. This is the very workable compromise that most small boaters live with.

pjeffrey
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/20/17 - 5:18 AM

I have a 31L with a/c.
Running a/c from battery / inverter is not practical.....would need v large battery bank and inverter would be much bigger than needed for anything else to take care of starting current.
I have a 2500 w inverter takes care of everything but a/c nicely.
I also have a honda 2000 generator but this will not take a/c starting current comfortably.
You can get a soft starter to make the a/c runnable from this size genny, but my choice is just to use the a/c when tied up to shore power. I like the genny just in case I end up offshore with flat batteries

Edited by pjeffrey on 02/20/17 - 5:19 AM

HTownGuppy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/21/17 - 6:10 PM

Well that is some good advice and very much appreciated. I didn't think about running the air conditioner off the shore power only. I'm not a fan of getting a generator mainly because of expense and thought I might be able to swing all my power needs without a generator. If I do decide to get an air conditioner then I'm content with having air on the shore only.

Generally while underway, the breezes and open air of the ocean keep things tolerable. The same is often true when anchoring overnight, because the boat swings into the breeze and so air comes down the hatch and flows through the cabin nicely.

I haven 't been offshore overnight on any boat so this is something that I didn't even realize. I'm very new to having a larger boat and so I planned to take any offshore trip very easy at first. I also plan on taking classes for handling a larger boat and just for general safety and knowledge. The nice thing about doing this restoration myself though is that I can troubleshoot things if they go wrong. And after owning several boats I know that things do go wrong!

Thanks again for your help with this.

Chris

1986 Boston Whaler 27FC - Restoration/Modification

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 6:03 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 24
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,067,257 unique visits